C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro & Corvette side by side.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

could have gotten a camaro 3 to 5 years ago, called the GTO...for about 7k less, same weight, IRS and 400hp (for the 05/06).
I really want to like it but somehow, I only come up with "meh"...not sure why...my first car was a camaro, and I've done 3 restos on 1st gen camaro, had two 85 TPI cars (one 305 one 355ci), was all fired up about the 4th gen, and when they killed it the new mystery gen camaro was intringuing to me...but now...after 7 years, the hipe, the movie(s), all I can think is "meh"...maybe something's wrong with me lol!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
BigJag
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife wanted to buy a Camaro to use as her daily driver. While I find the exterior styling appealing, although not real crazy about the back, I don't think much of the interior. Cheap looking in my opinion. We have decided to go with the SRT Challenger instead.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Yes, the Mustang is not as heavy and is smaller. This is why the car has appeal to women and young boys. Now that can be a plus for sales. But, a muscle car just in name should be somewhat heavy and big. I always thought the current Mustang was to small for a grown man.

The Camaro is and will continue to sell well to it's target audience. And with the Transformers movies rolling out every 2-3 years a continued built in base of new customers.
Interesting thing is that the only Mustang I would ever consider, the GT500, weighs the same thing as the Camaro SS. But it still doesn't have IRS, despite it having 115HP more and it still doesn't perform that much better than the SS... and it still costs damn near $50K compared to the SS's $34K.

I'm sorry but this is one for the books... I seriously am awestruck that a 426HP $34K Camaro, weighing only 15 lbs less... ran with a $50K 540HP Mustang (that's 114HP more)

Camaro Mustang
0-30 mph 1.9 sec 2.0 sec
0-40 2.6 2.7
0-50 3.5 3.7
0-60 4.5 4.6
0-70 5.7 5.5
0-80 7.2 6.8
0-90 8.7 8.2
0-100 10.5 9.7
Quarter mile 12.9 sec @ 110.7 mph 12.8 sec @ 115.3 mph MT COMPARISON

YES the Mustang beat the Camaro... by 1/10th of a sec and 4 MPH. That is pathetic, and basically says that if the Camaro even remotely got the LSA (560HP without the "Quiet Tuned" exhaust from Cadillac restricting it) it would MURDER the GT500. Fact is that a Camaro with just the Base Corvette's 436HP LS3 would at least equal the GT500, altho I'm betting it would whip it.

Last edited by cmicasa; 07-15-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:53 AM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

I was going to get a Camaro, thank GOD I found this thread <<< Click here >>>
Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 AM
quantum-theory
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got to sit in a new Camero. I love my vette, but I find the seats wanting. My 87 sport seats were better than my 06 seats. The seats in the Camero felt good. I was thinking, why couldn't GM put seats like this in the vette.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:13 AM
psimms
Racer

I also think it looks like a "BRICK".
Old 07-16-2009, 02:15 AM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
Good choice!
I've been a happy owner of a black/ebony 08 C6 coupe since December 2007.

Dude your a browns fan ? Nice vette
Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 AM
Divvi
Burning Brakes

I as much as I like the exterior of the Camaro, its not a vette.

And the interior is a disaster. AND, don't mention the price.......
Old 07-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Hankster7
Instructor

Default Rather Have

The Camaro does look nice, but I think I'd rather have a 1969 SS with a 396 engine.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 AM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hankster7
The Camaro does look nice, but I think I'd rather have a 1969 SS with a 396 engine.

Can't argue with that.

But I'm still not givin' up my Vette.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:42 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Only problem is it will cost three times what a 2010 Camaro SS cost

I realize you can't go by just the auctions we see on TV, but they are getting stupid money for the 60's muscle cars.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Originally Posted by divvichild
I as much as I like the exterior of the Camaro, its not a vette.

And the interior is a disaster. AND, don't mention the price.......
The interior is cool for what it is and actually looks better than the Mustang and certainly the Challenger IMO. It's quality rivals the 370Z.

But biggest question is: What's wrong with the price? $22K -34K is damn nice considering all but one of it's competitors cost more. And that only comes in a 210HP V6 versus the Camaro's 300HP V6
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not me...I guess it is all in what you buy a car for. I'd much rather have a C6 than the majority of older Vettes UNLESS I was a collector. I was never a huge fan of the original Camaros and my brother had a pretty nice one. Then he got a '70 black Vette convertible and THAT was a different story. It still rode like a hay wagon...
Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 AM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by p35hp
I've crawled all over, under and now driven one. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. The interior is a disaster. Dash guages are a little tach and speedo. Everything else is tacked on down by the console and are really tiny. Door panels have this massive hunk of shiny plastic in the middle. Is there a leather shortage? I'm 5'8". With the seat adjusted, the back of driver's seat touched the front of the rear pass seat. So much for 4 passenger. Don't even think about my comments RE the stereo. Outside styling is not much better. Reminds me of a 2 door Charger with a chopped roof. Next to a C6 my LS2 goat is a bit of a slouch. Up against the Camaro think it would be a different story. Have to remenber though that ice cream still comes in chocolate and vanilla.
That 2- Door Charger with a chopped roof is called a Challenger !
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Snobike Mike
While I agree they look good, they are still much to big/bulky and the interior sucks so I'll stick with my vette.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cmicasa
The interior is cool for what it is and actually looks better than the Mustang and certainly the Challenger IMO. It's quality rivals the 370Z.

But biggest question is: What's wrong with the price? $22K -34K is damn nice considering all but one of it's competitors cost more. And that only comes in a 210HP V6 versus the Camaro's 300HP V6
Interior complaints are from those that are have no idea how close it is to the 60's era car in design. It's called retro.

The cost is also competetive.

Some of this comes as GM has that big target on its back. It is the in thing to do with some on the forum to bash everything and anything GM does even if the bashing makes them look foolish. We even have the CF truth teller stating the Camaro is ugly. So we know some of this is agenda driven or at the very least somewhat biased. Chevy/GM have a huge hit on their hands and we should all be happy.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
Not me...I guess it is all in what you buy a car for. I'd much rather have a C6 than the majority of older Vettes UNLESS I was a collector. I was never a huge fan of the original Camaros and my brother had a pretty nice one. Then he got a '70 black Vette convertible and THAT was a different story. It still rode like a hay wagon...
That is not a 69 SS, and the wheels are incorrect. They look like Pontiac Firebird wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro & Corvette side by side.........

Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ClevelandPlasma
I was going to get a Camaro, thank GOD I found this thread <<< Click here >>>
What in that thread say's not to buy a Camaro?? It seemed to be a toss up . . .

Originally Posted by quantum-theory
Finally got to sit in a new Camero - CAMARO. I love my vette, but I find the seats wanting. My 87 sport seats were better than my 06 seats. The seats in the Camero felt good. I was thinking, why couldn't GM put seats like this in the vette.
Awsome car and it's quiet . . . unlike another car I know (Still Love my Vette thou)!

Originally Posted by psimms
I also think it looks like a "BRICK".
As compared to the chopped off backside of the Vette Coupe . . . look at it once from all angles and you'll see what I mean.

Originally Posted by STEVE MC
That is not a 69 SS, and the wheels are incorrect. They look like Pontiac Firebird wheels.
But it is and SS RS '69 . . . the wheels are incorrect as you pointed out and it may be a clone but it apears fairly correct otherwise. Oh . . . the hood may be wrong also. I believe the hood for the RS package was different with two chrome carb stacks on it.

Last edited by VetteMark; 07-16-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Interior complaints are from those that are have no idea how close it is to the 60's era car in design. It's called retro.

The cost is also competetive.

Some of this comes as GM has that big target on its back. It is the in thing to do with some on the forum to bash everything and anything GM does even if the bashing makes them look foolish. We even have the CF truth teller stating the Camaro is ugly. So we know some of this is agenda driven or at the very least somewhat biased. Chevy/GM have a huge hit on their hands and we should all be happy.

No doubt.

And about the interior complaints happening because of no clue about it being RETRO.. U are spot on.

But then again, I have noticed very often that a great deal of Corvette owners on this forum are not really "car guys." Something that was unheard of before the C5 debuted and gained the love of Starbuck drinkers everywhere. In most situations they are always on the verge of defending a case for why it's ok that the Camry handles like an Aircraft Carrier versus why the Chevy Small-Block is quite possibly the greatest of all V8s
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteMark
What in that thread say's not to buy a Camaro?? It seemed to be a toss up . . .
I was wondering the same thing. The biggest complain was that it had a small backseat... like any pony car. Truth is that the true target for this car is 25-30 year olds... who love partying more than chaufering their long legged pre-teen kids. In fact market research showed that most women who would buy the car would either have kids that were grown... or in a car seat.

Awsome car and it's quiet . . . unlike another car I know (Still Love my Vette thou)!

LOL... since I put the M2W in my Vette it stays in the "OFF" position more often than not... so it is anything but Quiet. The Camaro, G8, and even CTS-V have seemingly been "quiet tuned..." until U get the RPMS up there.

Quick Reply: Camaro & Corvette side by side.........