C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Detailed PAL installation in an '07 Z06 with comparisons to other Ipod Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Detailed PAL installation in '07 Z06 w/ comparisons to other Ipod Adapters - UPDATED

Back in April, I had given up on the GM PAL, so I undertook a project to install and evaluate all of the available aftermarket Ipod adapters for the C6 Corvette. The complete review, now updated with the PAL, is available here:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

(For those of you who have already read the review, you can skip towards the end to get to the PAL installation.)

I just installed the PAL in my '07 Z06 with Nav and XM, and I'm impressed enough that it is now the Ipod adapter of my choice. The review of the six adapters includes detailed photos and descriptions of the installations as well as the operation of each adapter, including the new PAL.

I'm hopeful that these detailed descriptions will be helpful to other owners who are still considering which Ipod adapter to buy and install. As you will see from the installation details, the PAL is by far the most difficult to install, but it is also the most well integrated and powerful of the adapters.

Some other owners have already installed the PAL in their Vettes and it seems most of the comments are very positive. Nothing is perfect of course, but by comparing the advantages and disadvantages of each adapter, including the ease or difficulty of installation, interested owners can choose what to buy.

I've also included at the end of the review, a discussion of solutions for charging the new generation of Ipods and Iphones, something the new PAL won't do out of the box.

The PAL also won't allow you to control the Ipod or Iphone from the device itself. But while this is a limitation, the well designed operation of the PAL still allows it to dominate over its competition.

Here's a photo of my Ipod while connected to the PAL:

Pretty cool, huh?

I hope the review and photos help others.

Updated PAL installation alternatives are here:

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20install.htm

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 07-26-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

So it does work in the 07's then? I'm ordering tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by MADinAK
So it does work in the 07's then? I'm ordering tomorrow.

Sure does. The installation and operational details are in this link:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

Ray
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Ray!!! I'm ordering it for mine tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:59 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't need an extension cable because I'm installing in the glove box but I have the newer iPod Classic. To allow charging, is this the Scosche adapter that I should get?http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Chargi.../dp/B001HN6CVA

Last edited by JJC5; 07-14-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by JJC5
I don't need an extension cable because I'm installing in the glove box but I have the newer iPod Classic. To allow charging, is this the Scosche adapter that I should get?http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Chargi.../dp/B001HN6CVA
That one should work. ISimple also makes one instead of the cable type. Its model number is the iS712. Here's a link:

http://isimplesolutions.com/CES/ReVoltMini.asp

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 07-14-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the great write up!

This is what I've been waiting for.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:30 AM
07c64jb
Instructor

kawal.....Well sir, I am officially scared to death to try any of these installations. I not afraid to tackle most repairs, but electronics just spook me. I can only imagine wisps of white smoke coming from under the dash before my $50,000 car goes up in flames. On the other hand....your write up and link are nothing short of INCREDIBLE !! With out a doubt the most comprehensive "how to do it" I have yet seen. You are to be commended for your time and effort to benefit Forum members. OUTSTANDING !

JB
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by 07c64jb
kawal.....Well sir, I am officially scared to death to try any of these installations. I not afraid to tackle most repairs, but electronics just spook me. I can only imagine wisps of white smoke coming from under the dash before my $50,000 car goes up in flames. On the other hand....your write up and link are nothing short of INCREDIBLE !! With out a doubt the most comprehensive "how to do it" I have yet seen. You are to be commended for your time and effort to benefit Forum members. OUTSTANDING !

JB
Thank you, JB, for the compliment. But really, some of these installations are a 10-20 minute job for any do-it-yourselfer. The PAL is much more complex, but if you follow the instructions, there's not much chance of your $50K car being damaged. It's just a lot of work.

And of course, you can always pay to have an adapter installed. What I unfortunately find is often true, however, is that even the technicians at the dealers are often not that familiar with these mods - so you might as well do it yourself.

If you have an Ipod or an Iphone, give one of them a try. You'll enjoy your car even more!

Ray
Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 AM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the incredible write-up Ray. I have an '06, and since it works in an '07, I would think I'm good to go. What do you think?
Rich
Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent write up Ray
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by richhoff
Thanks for the incredible write-up Ray. I have an '06, and since it works in an '07, I would think I'm good to go. What do you think?
Rich
No one has tested the PAL on a '05 or '06 yet (NOt even GM)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM
bbster
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Pal

Excellent Write up Ray.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
mike_1103
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ray,

Thanks for your EXCELLENT write-up (and I cannot emphasize the word "excellent" enough!). I decided to take the plunge and I just ordered the PAL from Gene.

Quick question for you Ray: Which iPod are you using? I have the iPod Touch 2G but, since it cannot be controlled while hooked up to the PAL and I will need an adapter to charge it, I'm considering ordering another iPod from the big auction site that I would leave permanently in the Corvette...

Thanks again,

Mike.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 07c64jb
your write up and link are nothing short of INCREDIBLE !! With out a doubt the most comprehensive "how to do it" I have yet seen. You are to be commended for your time and effort to benefit Forum members. OUTSTANDING !
Thank you for verifying that it will work in the 07. This won't be the first Mod that I do because of your detailed instructions and info.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM
ramrodw30
Pro

Thanks for another useful and informative post Ray. Your are a tremendous asset to the forum and a big help to your fellow enthusiasts.

Doug
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
John_Syb
Pro

First... THANK YOU for all the work you did in putting this together. This is one of the most thoughful, well written audio reviews I have ever read.

I do have a question that I know was asked before but was answered before anyone had actually installed one of these so I am asking it again.

If I unplug my Ipod.. do I get back my XM2 presets or is XM2 now always Ipod?

Get notified of new replies

To A Detailed PAL installation in an '07 Z06 with comparisons to other Ipod Adapters

Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John_Syb
First... THANK YOU for all the work you did in putting this together. This is one of the most thoughful, well written audio reviews I have ever read.

I do have a question that I know was asked before but was answered before anyone had actually installed one of these so I am asking it again.

If I unplug my Ipod.. do I get back my XM2 presets or is XM2 now always Ipod?
Actually I answered it after I installed the PAL in my car. And the answer your XM2 presets is lost unless you disconnect the PAL.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by richhoff
Rich
Rich, I really don't know. I was always under the impression that all Navs were the same, but I don't know. If you PM Audiogeek, he would be the best one to ask that question. If he doesn't know for sure, you might want to buy one and try it out. If it doesn't work as it does on the '07 and later, I'm sure you could sell it again for close to what you paid for it.

The problem is that it is a pain to install. The other adapters (except the PXAMG) can be plugged in and tried out in about 5-10 minutes. The PXAMG takes about an hour or so, because you have to pull the Nav. But the PAL requires you to pull that dang Class 2 data wire out of the Splice Block that is hidden way up in the corner - ugh!

Still, if you are not sure, be careful pulling the terminal out of the Splice Block and you can always reinsert it if you want to put your car back in its original condition. Most owners who have tried pulling the terminal broke it, probably because they did not know that you have to first pry out the TPA (see photos). It won't come out without pulling the TPA - that's what its there for.

Before I decided to keep my PAL, I wasn't sure about its operation either. And I was happy with my PXAMG. So I pulled the terminal and connected it to the PAL wiring harness with a test lead with alligator clips. I also didn't mount the PAL module, which is also a lot of work. Only after I did my testing, did I decide to permanently mount the PAL module.

Actually, at this point, my installation is complete, except for the Class 2 wire. I still have it alligator clipped to the harness, because I don't like cutting the factory harness whenever possible. I have some Delphi connectors coming that will allow me to plug in the light blue wire terminal to the PAL harness rather than cut off the terminal and crimp splice it back together. I'll be writing this up later in the forum - probably in about a week or so.

So those of you with '05s or '06s, unless Audiogeek can confirm its operation, one of you will have to be the guinea pig.

Ray
Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mike_1103
Ray,

Thanks for your EXCELLENT write-up (and I cannot emphasize the word "excellent" enough!). I decided to take the plunge and I just ordered the PAL from Gene.

Quick question for you Ray: Which iPod are you using? I have the iPod Touch 2G but, since it cannot be controlled while hooked up to the PAL and I will need an adapter to charge it, I'm considering ordering another iPod from the big auction site that I would leave permanently in the Corvette...

Thanks again,

Mike.
Mike, I use a Generation 3 Ipod Nano 8 Gb, that I like a lot. Because it is Generation 3 it still works on the old 12 volt charging system, for which the PAL is designed. So I don't need a charging adapter.

Also, the Nano is very small, so it is no problem fitting in the glove box. I think I found the last Nano I bought on amazon for a little over $100.

Mine is shown in many photos in my review web page. In the last photos it may look different because I put a silicone cover over it.

Ray

Quick Reply: A Detailed PAL installation in an '07 Z06 with comparisons to other Ipod Adapters