C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could have/should have been done better in the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:24 PM
C4Lou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default What could have/should have been done better in the C6?

I troll the forum all the time and I haven't seen this come up in awhile so I thought I'd ask. What would you like to have seen engineered better in the C6?

I'm not talking about upgrades like Z06 brakes or anything like that. Just what could have been done better with what comes on a C6.

While I love my 06 coupe, here's my list:

1. Front license plate. When I had my C5, I finally caved in and installed the front plate. To make it look better, I bought a color matched surround. After awhile I actually liked the look, thought it was well laid out. No such luck on the C6. Factory mount looks clunky and even the $150 aftermarket replacements make the car look bucktoothed.

2. Nav System. Unlike some on this board, I actually like it and the Bose. I don't care about watching DVDs or backup cameras, etc. A few things could been done better though. For one thing it's not bright enough, gets washed out in the sunlight too easy, no matter how the brightness or contrast is adjusted. Also, XM volume is too low, hard to hear on the highway with the top off. Finally, no input jack. I bought a Lockpick which works fine with my iPod, but come on, I shouldn't have had to.

3. Clutch assist spring. Hated driving the car with it, was considering trading for automatic and finally bit the bullet and took it out. MUCH better now. Consistent feel, don't look like a noob now when the light changes unexpectedly and I no longer drop the clutch and kill the car due to the uneven pressure.

4. Flimsy Backside. When I first got the car, I thought there was something missing behind the fiberglass. It pushed in too easy, seemed wobbly. Then I checked the other vettes on the lot and they were the same. Don't remember the same degree of squishiness on my old C5.

5. No longer can see trouble codes on DIC. I loved this feature on the C5. I know one can use a code reader, but it was quite handy to have it built in.

6. Lame Exhaust Note. I like everyone else on here has either swapped my exhaust or will in search of a sound more worthy of the Corvette. But again, I shouldn't have to. A friend of mine with his LS1 Goat has a terrific sounding factory system. We don't.

7. Honorable Mention. On my C5, the Window Valet had an option to play the radio with doors open, no chime. Apparently this isn't possible with the C6. Have to trip the door latch in accessory mode to stop the chime. Too bad.

So what bugs you all?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fake leather shift & e-brake boots, along w/ the plastic armrest.

Thank God for DSVettes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 PM
VetteDriven
Pro

I wish they would have kept the key for the ignition.

I wish they would have kept the regular door handles no electric
door.

I wish they would bring back a spare tire, I dont like run-flats.

To much electric crap to run down the battery.
The following users liked this post:
AngelS3 (04-25-2023)
Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
tmjvett2009
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Cooled seats love them in my Caddy
Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JERGENSENLS3
The fake leather shift & e-brake boots, along w/ the plastic armrest.

Thank God for DSVettes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I do not really need the removable top. Fit and finish could be better. Love the style and power.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me wrong. I love my '05 vert but I would like to see a few changes (some that probably already happened):
  1. DBS/battery, electrical hog issues
  2. Need better run-flat tires
  3. Better shifter standard
  4. Better-sounding muffler standard
  5. Teflon paint so I don't have to wash it as often!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

With regard to any specific component, it is always possible that there will be a better part out there someplace. Therefore, I will not voice a complaint about any single item because overall I am very pleased with the way the compromises have been made in the Vette.

That said, the number one complaint that you named -- lack of a properly designed in front license plate mounting -- is my number one complaint. This is a design issue, not a component issue in my mind. A considerable majority of states require both plates. Every generation a Vettes prior to the C6 has not only addressed this, but has done it well and better than most cars in the market place. That my .02
Old 07-04-2009, 07:24 PM
d1deuce
Racer

Sounds like most of them are covered now!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 PM
09C6VRGG
Drifting

1-NPP Should be standard on all C6's.
2-The seats should have better quality leather. (The seats are fine for me, but my seat leather is now in GM VIS as being defective from the factory. Also the seats tear too easily, terrible quality.)
3-The car should have an air lift suspension to prevent scraping going up a drive way.
4-The car should have a different steering wheel, the current one is used in too many current Chevy's.
5-The automatic transmission paddle shifting should be tuned similar to how Chuck COW tunes them.
6-The Front of the car should have been designed to accommodate a front License Plate.
7- The stereo should be about 100 Watts stronger.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I think they did a good job. Anything that was a 'better' item would have cost more, weighed more, or been a item that another would not have liked.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 PM
greengo
Drifting

An optional BLOW YOU AWAY stereo system
An better stock exhaust system
Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

They should have set the engine mapping/tune up stronger. Also cold/ ram air coming thru a high enuf duct. Better tires even they have shorter warranty. Better insulation. Optional sub. HUD,and side air bags should be safety standard
Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Those are all good suggestions. I would put the front license plate mount at the top of my 'wish list' for fixes on the next generation. Hard to believe it actually made production this way knowing so many states require a front plate. The factory mount is horrible and even the best aftermarket ones are a compromise to appearance.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
With regard to any specific component, it is always possible that there will be a better part out there someplace. Therefore, I will not voice a complaint about any single item because overall I am very pleased with the way the compromises have been made in the Vette.

That said, the number one complaint that you named -- lack of a properly designed in front license plate mounting -- is my number one complaint. This is a design issue, not a component issue in my mind. A considerable majority of states require both plates. Every generation a Vettes prior to the C6 has not only addressed this, but has done it well and better than most cars in the market place. That my .02
Old 07-04-2009, 11:04 PM
dennyb7
Burning Brakes

FRC body style
Better shaped seats with micro suede standard,and let the cheap crappy leather be an option
Sportier steering wheel,with micro suede
Full color interior(dash,door panels,carpet etc. all match)
Match the gas and dead pedal, like clutch and brake
Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 PM
C4Lou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, good points all! I would have traded the keyless ignition and electronic door latches for better exhaust and improvements in the Nav/Stereo if it were possible.

A couple of more simple items I thought of:

- I miss having flip up wipers like most cars nowadays. Makes detailing the windshield easier, changing blades, etc.

- It would have been good to offer factory tinting for the rear hatch (or rear windows for verts). Now if we want it, we have to find a tinter that can deal with those dots.

Still, I don't want to come across as whining - only mean it as constructive criticism. I love my C6!

Get notified of new replies

To What could have/should have been done better in the C6?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 PM
George Ware
Racer

Originally Posted by tmjvett2004
Cooled seats love them in my Caddy
I agree 100%

George Ware
Old 07-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I can think of numerous items which have been, could be and will be improved upon but I've never had any complaints about my C6.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:20 AM
MLCZ51
Burning Brakes

Default More paint opts.

MAG RED, DSOM, WERE NICE....

Quick Reply: What could have/should have been done better in the C6?