C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak in my C6 (Pics this time)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Water Leak in my C6 (Pics this time)

Okay, I posted asking about this before, and I appreciated the quick help, but I'm not sure I explained the problem correctly.

It's been raining here pretty hard and I'm getting water in the back storage compartment. I pulled back the carpeting around the rear corner where the light is and it seems bone dry, so does the compartment lid (so I assume it's not coming directly from up top).

Back window isn't leaking from what I can tell, either. I would think possibly it's coming from underneath, but it happens when I wash it as well, so that would defy physics.

What's weird is the sides of the compartment are also dry...everything seems dry...

Here are some pics.

Any idea where I should look...raining too hard to get the hose out right now.

RMX
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wheelwell area? That would be my guess if driving in the rain or washing it. However as you said, it wouldn't explain from rain (gravity as you mention). There must be a path from water run-off that is channeling its way to the compartment. Maybe from under the body panels??? I'm clueless.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I need to get a hose on this thing, but I'm not even sure where to spray. I'm not so worried about any real damage, just maybe want to avoid the interior smelling like mildew.

RMX
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you pull up the carpet immediately around the compartment and look for signs? Maybe pull out the compartment and look for signs? It might be helpful to "see" the avenue of the culprit.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by REMIX
Okay, I posted asking about this before, and I appreciated the quick help, but I'm not sure I explained the problem correctly.

It's been raining here pretty hard and I'm getting water in the back storage compartment. I pulled back the carpeting around the rear corner where the light is and it seems bone dry, so does the compartment lid (so I assume it's not coming directly from up top).

Back window isn't leaking from what I can tell, either. I would think possibly it's coming from underneath, but it happens when I wash it as well, so that would defy physics.

What's weird is the sides of the compartment are also dry...everything seems dry...

Here are some pics.

Any idea where I should look...raining too hard to get the hose out right now.

RMX
I'll bet the rear hatch/gasket is a suspect. Have someone run a hose on your rear window while you observe from inside with a flashlight. You may be surprised at what you find.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a cracked fiberglass tub. I would pull out the cubby trim/carpet to inspect for holes or cracks underneat.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

do you get that water accumulating when you wash your car or when you drive in the rain? Difference being if only when wash then coming the water is coming from above. Many years ago I had a problem a rock or something had attacked a 240z of mine from below and actually allowed road water to wet the floorboard and carpeting when driving on wet roads. But dry when washing.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Any instructions on how to yank the rear carpet and cubby?

Still, wouldn't make any sense as it does this when I wash it. The tub wouldn't get wet in that case.

RMX
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Walkthedog
do you get that water accumulating when you wash your car or when you drive in the rain? Difference being if only when wash then coming the water is coming from above. Many years ago I had a problem a rock or something had attacked a 240z of mine from below and actually allowed road water to wet the floorboard and carpeting when driving on wet roads. But dry when washing.
Both, happens when washing, too.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Okay, I just had my better half spray the car down while I was inside and I see NOTHING dripping. I do see and feel it getting wetter FROM THE BOTTOM. She seems to think it's somehow originating from the taillights. I might have to pull the lights...not like it's a big job LOL.

What do you think?

RMX
Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The carpet in the rear just lift's out. Pop the bezels around the top holders off with a screw driver and remove the carpet. The storage compartment carpet comes out also. It's all in one piece. You should get a better picture of the problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Divvi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Check the track that runs around the hatch area. The water should drain out. Possibly you have clogged drains and the water is running over the sides into the compartment.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Q: How would one clear the drains if they were indeed clogged?

RMX

Get notified of new replies

To Water Leak in my C6 (Pics this time)

Quick Reply: Water Leak in my C6 (Pics this time)