C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(follow up) they replaced my roof panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 PM
rbridges
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (follow up) they replaced my roof panel

just an FYI for anyone that still has the original painted roof panel that was recalled. I got the recall notice, but they were trying another adhesive to repair them. I wanted to see what the outcome was, so I waited to take mine.

I bought my '06 vette in march 2006, so it's obviously out of factory warranty. I know safety recalls apply to cars 8 years or less, but I was ready for excuses.

I guess the new adhesive repairs weren't that great b/c they replaced mine without batting an eyelash. Didn't even take the car. I had the VIN and mileage, and they entered the info. Took my old top, and 7 days later, I had a new top that was repainted.

I told the guy I was worried about having to fight them b/c of some of the stories I've read in C6 Gen, but he said the recall is "still wide open."

Like I said, it's just an FYI for anyone that thinks it's too late to take their recalled top in for replacement.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad they replaced it without any issues.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 AM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have an '06. Never got a recall notice. Actually, I don't have any issues with it yet. My question is, did you have a problem with your delaming when you took it in? Or just because?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:33 AM
rbridges
Race Director

Originally Posted by rdm1465
I also have an '06. Never got a recall notice. Actually, I don't have any issues with it yet. My question is, did you have a problem with your delaming when you took it in? Or just because?
Thanks in advance.

I used it the first summer w/no issues. It was white, so I figured it didn't get as hot as the other colors. I bought a transparent top and used it for the next 2 years. Recently, I decided to switch back for the summer, and it creaked like a sumbitch and then you could hear air leaking. The whole front middle section was loose, and it took less than 2 weeks after installing it.

I don't think you have to have a problem. If I'm not mistaken, it's a comprehensive safety recall.

Not all '06s have the old style tops. I believe mine was one of the last ones. Have them run your VIN. They could probably tell you which roof you have.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by danl72
Glad they replaced it without any issues.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I know safety recalls apply to cars 8 years or less

"Safety Recalls" have no time, mileage or ownership limits. Safety Recalls are forever.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

I agree with you on the heat issue. For those of you that have the old style roof panels, it's only a matter of time before it delaminates - even if you have had the foam repair. In my opinion, the failure is time and heat related. Mine began to separate last July, even though I too had the roof foamed by the recall. Now that it is getting warm out again, expect to see the failure rate start to rise again as it did last year. The only real cure is to get the newer SMC roof. See my thread from last year below for more info.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-your-top.html
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM
rbridges
Race Director

Originally Posted by calemasters
"Safety Recalls" have no time, mileage or ownership limits. Safety Recalls are forever.
I think there is a time limit. correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's 8 years, but it is independent of the manufacturers warranty.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by rbridges
I think there is a time limit. correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's 8 years, but it is independent of the manufacturers warranty.
I think it used to be 8 years but it appears it has been extended. This is from the NHTSA web site re safety recalls:

Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

I have a 2006 coupe, bought in May 2006. Had the glue injenction done a while back after the recall notice. I thought that was a joke of a repair, but oh well, just going along with the program.

So, last weekend I am at my folks house, and my normally garaged car is sitting in over 100 degree heat all day. I drive home, and guess what? Roof is creaking horribly the whole time, and it has been that way ever since last weekend. I take off the roof, and can feel the top is loosening. It creaks while just holding it in my hands.

Damn. I just called the local dealer & told them about the issue, but didn;t get a very good vibe when they said they didn't know about roof issues, or recalls on "trim pieces". Oy, I fear a major hassle ahead of me to get this corrected without having to fork over a bunch of money to the dealership.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
dbradley
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfullshred
I have a 2006 coupe, bought in May 2006. Had the glue injenction done a while back after the recall notice. I thought that was a joke of a repair, but oh well, just going along with the program.

So, last weekend I am at my folks house, and my normally garaged car is sitting in over 100 degree heat all day. I drive home, and guess what? Roof is creaking horribly the whole time, and it has been that way ever since last weekend. I take off the roof, and can feel the top is loosening. It creaks while just holding it in my hands.

Damn. I just called the local dealer & told them about the issue, but didn;t get a very good vibe when they said they didn't know about roof issues, or recalls on "trim pieces". Oy, I fear a major hassle ahead of me to get this corrected without having to fork over a bunch of money to the dealership.
Oh, they know..... they just don't want to mess with it. Call other dealers till someone CARES. Look for a dealer who "features" Corvettes.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
talldude67
Pro

Default Top redone

Took top to local dealer [they said they needed the 2 fr latches] when done it looked like hell, pits, scratches, etc. So they said they would color sand some more and rebuff...hey it looked great the second time and they put in '08 latches [I marked the old ones so I know they did] and I took it home in the back of my P/U and installed...very pleased with the outcome. Finally
Old 07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dbradley
Oh, they know..... they just don't want to mess with it. Call other dealers till someone CARES. Look for a dealer who "features" Corvettes.
I hear ya. I am thinking I may have to go to the dealer I bought it from, who seem like good guys. Unfortunately they are about 50 miles from my house. But I think that drive is a lot less hassle than what I already feel coming from the local dealership, which is under new ownership.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My car was built/purchased in March 2006. Is there a recall for the recall? I had mine in when the recall first came out. I gather that this repair also is failing.

Get notified of new replies

To (follow up) they replaced my roof panel

Quick Reply: (follow up) they replaced my roof panel