C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Developing a little bit of a complex about my C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My job just laid off a bunch of workers and I do admit I've been driving my C6 to work less since that happened. Part of the reason people think differently about the Corvette than a comparably priced BMW or Mercedes, is that the Corvette is a pure luxury. It has no rear seats (so can't carry kids or passengers) and is built for style and speed. That means most people who have them also have another car, or two, or three. And I think that's why they seem like such an extravagance to people.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify, I do NOT sell houses. Commercial real estate ONLY. I do a lot of leasing as well. That spans retail, industrial and office property. I can see rolling up to a low income or middle class house in a Corvette looking bad...

RMX
Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heck with them. tell them it gets better gas milage than their SUV's, mini vans and larger 4 door imports like honday toyota lexus and my 2007 cost about the same as theirs and I have 400+ hp. ask them who is dumb for driving a honda or mini van.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Guys, thank you for all your comments. I suppose I will carry on this little social experiment for a bit and see what happens. I appreciate the candidness of the members here. I like the car too much to park it...I already have a weekend warrior, so doing this would be a waste IMO.

Worst case, if things get out f hand, I'll go out and pay cash for a used pickup or something to drive as a daily.

RMX
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you'd want to appear "moddest" vs "flashy" in the business you're in? Unless you're doing "high end" multi million dollar deals... then I'd say leave the vette @ home and drive a Lambo to work!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
I think you'd want to appear "moddest" vs "flashy" in the business you're in? Unless you're doing "high end" multi million dollar deals... then I'd say leave the vette @ home and drive a Lambo to work!
This is gettin' expensive!!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
VetVetter
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Get ahead of the "issue" and turn it into a sales prop:

With your clients, use the vette as an example and intertwine it into your sales approach.

Here's an example off the top of my head.

You have a commercial building that you feel is a great value - but you're having trouble getting people's attention to it because it's architecture is a bit dated.

"You know, Mr Smith. Some things are not always as they seem. Take my car for instance. It's a corvette. At first, people assume a gas guzzling, overpriced, and unreliable ride. But you know what - doing the math and research I chose it specifically to replace my Acura.

It's less expensive on sticker, gets 29 miles to the gallon, and has one of best engineering ratings out there. Over time, GM has engineered a true gem that most people don't realize.

Just as this building is. The location is good. The price is actually great. But it looks "old". Old is relative, and what value does that bring your bottom line?

How can the savings you garner on this property be re-invested into your business?

blah, blah, blah

It's amazing what you can do with a little education and spin.

Of course, it won't work with everyone - but I would assume selling commmercial real estate garners a different audience than if you were selling land plots in some eco-friendly, granola community compound
Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 PM
BKvette9182
Heel & Toe

Just remember you're getting the most value on the road....life is short, enjoy and don't worry about what other people think.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Amped
Instructor

Originally Posted by REMIX
Guys, thank you for all your comments. I suppose I will carry on this little social experiment for a bit and see what happens. I appreciate the candidness of the members here. I like the car too much to park it...I already have a weekend warrior, so doing this would be a waste IMO.

Worst case, if things get out f hand, I'll go out and pay cash for a used pickup or something to drive as a daily.

RMX
I believe many 1st time Vette owners experience similar feelings. Unless it affects your business, you'll become accustomed to the smiles, jealousy, stares, cheers, jeers, boy racers, and waves.

Consider that a majority of the public are not automotive enthusiasts yet the Vette is one of the most distinguishable vehicles on the road. That combination leads to strong, but often ignorant opinions about your Vette.

Whenever you are questioning your purchase, remove the top, turn off the radio, and push your right foot all the way forward.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:00 PM
MLS277
Instructor

Funny you bring this up- this is really a major reason why I haven't bought the Vette yet...when I go to the dealership I just think of how EVERYONE will notice me everywhere i go. How much attention the car gets..how flashy it really is. Then I talked to a buddy of mine who owns one who says he rarely gets ANY comments on it from anyone, and rarely has anyone on the road get rude or anything of that nature. Then again there are a bunch of ferraris, and other exotics, but it was cool to hear that he hasn't experienced what I thought you would owning and driving one daily.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
I hear your complaints and sadly most of them are true. It could affect your business. It's the sad truth that most people see the vette as a status symbol even when there are tons of cars that cost more. I own a BMW 7 series and rarely get a peep out of anybody when I drive it, and this car costs about twice what I paid for the vette, but when I drive the vette I hear all sorts of comments. Some good and some bad. I have learned to take them all in stride for what it's worth. Most people are truly uneducated when it comes to the corvette and they see them as flashy and that you are trying to show off. Don't understand this perception as most vette drivers I know aren't show offs but car enthusiast who enjoy a world class car at a discount price.
Agree. I think most people see and know the Vette as an American car--they can identify with it more easily than an import. To their eyes the import is so expensive it is irrelevent because they cannot connect to it. The vette is American, they "could drive one if" they just had more money, they think. The german import is too far out of their reality. I saw this first hand in my friend, who bought domestic SUV for more money than the BMW he wanted but didn't think he could afford. The very name BMW was too intimidating.

So I guess it depends on your clients. If you are selling high dollar stuff, keep the vette. If you are with lower income folk, keep the import--as strange as that sounds.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Stickboy97
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

People don't get it, they think a vette is super expensive to buy & keep up. When I bought mine my dad was like how can you afford that? then I pointed out that it cost less than his F250 & got way better MPG.

He had no idea what our cars cost and assumed it was like $70k and most others who act that way think the same thing.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by REMIX
I'm in real estate (commercial) Some people warned me this could affect my business in a negative way.

....but I am really smitten with this car - way more than I ever expected. It's my 4th Vette.
You're in a delicate spot IMOP. Between a rock and a hard place. When you say "my business" are you in business for yourself? Do you use the vette to show clients real estate? Clients have to follow instead of getting free transport, is that the deal?

You're ever bit entitled to be smitten by your car of choice. Esp when it's your 4th version. And it's none of anyone's business unless they paid for it and gave it to you. However, in real estate, maybe a better choice would have been a 4dr high end. Some of your clients may not like to follow. They may expect to be treated like royalty. In addition, they may not like what you like.

People are funny when it comes to cars. It's a love/ hate relationship for some. Envy plays into it. Pre-judgements and assumptions are instantly made. You are what you drive some say. So it hits everyone differently. How abt a safe & neutral vehicle like a Cadi SUV or GMC to keep it in the GM family?

thoughts continue....
To me an exotic is an exotic. And Vettes are no exotics. Neither are BMW, Benz, Porche or Jag's. When I was in Europe I saw shiny new BMW police cars and Benz used as taxi cabs. No biggie for me but I'd rather look at a bunch of BMW, Benz, and a Vette thrown in than dirt poor cars. But it sounds like you're on the outside looking in.

Here where I live we have the same mix and HD real estate. I see a few vettes at the hospital parked there everyday. C6Z is always parked in Dr's space. C5 in regular spot. BMW etc etc are all over the place. A new Porche dlr is in town aft doing marketing research. But Vette guys are on their own ard here. Sounds like you're on your own too. There could be some truth to what some people are warning you. It's strictly business and you got to look out for business.

I'd make the vette the garage queen if I were in real estate.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Many valid points of view for you to assess RMX. Gotta love this Forum.

You know your clients better than anyone and your first impression on them may be the Vette. If you have the opportunity to use it as a sales tool for both you and the property, then continue to drive it, by all means,

Undoubtedly there will be those clients that will be turned off by the car for a variety of reasons that have already been mentioned here.

If you can't afford the risk of a negative impact, valid or not, and every sale is crucial, then my recommendation is drive something less threatening to your meetings. Just my $.02.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 AM
dkang76
Instructor

if yur in sales then being successful is way better than looking poor.

im a dentist and although i plan to buy my 1st vette, i dont plan to park it on front.
i know for sure ppl will think "$1000 for a crown??? oh so thats what pays his car payment~!!!"

one office has a back area no patients park, and thats where it will belong.
another office has no back area, and i probably wont drive there and instead drive my toyota 4door sedan. plus that office is 170mile round trip anyway.

point here is...dont give up yur dream car for others but also dont let it affect yur business as well.
if thats yur only car then i say get a beat up 5000 car in case u need it.
it will also help lower yur vette mileage...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 AM
OrangeCrush007
Instructor

Envy, jealousy, stupidity, call it what you will, it can and will effect your business. The wife has a very successful consulting company and drove a new mercedes. That got looked down upon, may have cost her some clients, and typically came up in conversation when renewing a contract ("Now I know why you charge so much...").

She unloaded the MB for an SUV and no complaints from anyone and her business has tripled since the MB days.

While some say it shows status and success, to most it may show you are too pricey and don't need their business. People are funny about this and it goes all they way up the food chain. How many times have you heard the new funky president say he's going to tax only the wealthy? There is this warped perception that doing good and being successful is wrong and bad. Flaunting a really nice sports car puts you in that group regardless what you paid for it. Perception!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:53 AM
OrangeCrush007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stickboy97
He had no idea what our cars cost and assumed it was like $70k and most others who act that way think the same thing.
Uhhhh, ever see the sticker on a vert, Z06 or ZR1?

Verts are easily in the $70's, Z06's easily in the $80's, and ZR1's easily in the $120's.

To most, they all look alike so if the first one they saw was one of the above, yes, vettes are VERY expensive......

Get notified of new replies

To Developing a little bit of a complex about my C6

Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 AM
OrangeCrush007
Instructor

Originally Posted by dads toy
heck with them. tell them it gets better gas milage than their SUV's, mini vans and larger 4 door imports like honday toyota lexus and my 2007 cost about the same as theirs and I have 400+ hp. ask them who is dumb for driving a honda or mini van.
As the saying goes, "If you have to explain......"
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Dick4295
Instructor

I would think that potential clients would welcome someone that seems successful. Isn't that the game, they want someone that can sell and if a car shows you are successful, all the better.

You're reading too much into people's comments.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pearlwhite
You're in a delicate spot IMOP. Between a rock and a hard place. When you say "my business" are you in business for yourself? Do you use the vette to show clients real estate? Clients have to follow instead of getting free transport, is that the deal?

You're ever bit entitled to be smitten by your car of choice. Esp when it's your 4th version. And it's none of anyone's business unless they paid for it and gave it to you. However, in real estate, maybe a better choice would have been a 4dr high end. Some of your clients may not like to follow. They may expect to be treated like royalty. In addition, they may not like what you like.

People are funny when it comes to cars. It's a love/ hate relationship for some. Envy plays into it. Pre-judgements and assumptions are instantly made. You are what you drive some say. So it hits everyone differently. How abt a safe & neutral vehicle like a Cadi SUV or GMC to keep it in the GM family?

thoughts continue....
To me an exotic is an exotic. And Vettes are no exotics. Neither are BMW, Benz, Porche or Jag's. When I was in Europe I saw shiny new BMW police cars and Benz used as taxi cabs. No biggie for me but I'd rather look at a bunch of BMW, Benz, and a Vette thrown in than dirt poor cars. But it sounds like you're on the outside looking in.

Here where I live we have the same mix and HD real estate. I see a few vettes at the hospital parked there everyday. C6Z is always parked in Dr's space. C5 in regular spot. BMW etc etc are all over the place. A new Porche dlr is in town aft doing marketing research. But Vette guys are on their own ard here. Sounds like you're on your own too. There could be some truth to what some people are warning you. It's strictly business and you got to look out for business.

I'd make the vette the garage queen if I were in real estate.
Here are some Cliff's Notes:

1. People always meet me at the property.

2. Typically I'm only showing one property per client

3. THEY drive up in V12 S600s some of the time...sometimes BMW M6s, Porsches and Corvettes, too. Last week a guy drove up in a beautiful black MB S63...I'm sure many of you know what that is. Another met me in a VERY dolled-up Harley-edition F150 pickup. These folks I am not worried about.

4. If there is more than one property to look at, they always follow.

5. If I get there early enough, and it's a multi user property (office building, retail strip center), I can park amongst everything else and no one notices. I've taken to parking around back when showing my freestanding buildings, but people still see it..."let's see the parking in back?"

So, sometimes I can't hide the car, and that's where the problem starts, but mostly with other agents. That and at my office where the other (mainly residential) agents make wisecracks and comments.

When it's cooler outside, I've taken my Chevelle to a few showings and boy does THAT car get people talking! I hear all kinds of stories from both men and women when they see it. Anyone who has seen a Barrett Jackson auction thinks I paid $100k for the car (nowhere even close). Perception aside, I buy things for ME, not ANYONE ELSE...anyway...

My problem is I'm just a car guy and, outside of a new CTS-V or a Challenger, I absolutely refuse to drive anything else. I'm not coughing up another $40-$65k for something right now. I need to save up for a new shop.

RMX

Quick Reply: Developing a little bit of a complex about my C6