C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I left Corvette, instead of Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Caliero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I left Corvette, instead of Porsche

**EDITED TO PREVENT ANY CONTROVERSY**
Yes, it is. I have driven a Porsche, and I have found my half orange (my perfect girl, in Spanish= "Mi media naranja"). I was not so happy with the quality sense of my C6, or the road feel, or some things, simply the corvette is not a car designed to me, but understanding that it has some things that could be appreciated by most of you.
I have to tell you that the Porsche has much more of the things that I were searching on a car. The driving feel is much more near I´m searching on a car, the brakes are much more powerful the inside details seems much more best designed, the engine is not as fast as corvette, but the feeling is much more sportive, and all the power could gbe transmitted to the floor (and converted into acceleration), and the resale price is higher.
Corvette is a good choice for the price, and has many other good features, like torque, power, spectacular looking, but I found that this great american car is not exactly what I´m searching for.
Here in europe, a Porsche 911 Turbo costs 110.000 euros more than a corvette, and sells better than this.
I´m searching for a really sportive rallie car, with stiffer suspension, a high performance, racing taste, and quality inside seats, and details. And Porsche fits to me perfectly, and I like too Its special driving features, needing to work hard with the gas to maintain the trajectory, but which, when doing this, it dive to you a very high efectiveness.
I want to test a Z06 or ZR1 in the future, but at the moment, I will enjoy some Porsche time.
Hoping not to offend anybody with my personal opinion.
Best regards.

Last edited by Caliero; 06-24-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Thank you for sharing that with us. Goodbye.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by foremaw
Thank you for sharing that with us. Goodbye.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 AM
1stc6z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably never have driven a Z06, if you did, you would leave the 911 Turbo in the garage.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM
jdavis
Drifting

Caliero has discovered what we all knew and perhaps one of the reasons for Corvette's success. For 110.000 euro ($154,000) less one can purchase a car that will perform on par with some of the world's finest sports cars. Of course, as Caliero points out, it may not be as refined in some areas as it's more expensive brethren. However, it has to give up some things to keep the price in line with it's target market. It may not have the status factor that an Aston, Ferrari, Lambo, or Porsche, but it offers similar style and performance for thousands less.
If you have and want to spend the money, no one should fault you for your choice. However, if you want the most value for your money, Corvette C6, Z06, and ZR1 will be top choices of informed buyers.
I hope that Caliero enjoys his Porsche and I thank him for reminding us of the great value we have in our Corvettes.

Last edited by jdavis; 06-23-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That's a fair assessment. For you. But maybe not for others on this forum. Not sure where yo live, but maybe it's easier to maintain a Porsche where you live than a Corvette.

Enjoy the car and come back some day and tell us what your expenses are, not just the oil and lube stuff (that, too, though). It should be interesting since we have a lotta Porsche owners on this Forum.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

For myself I have always thought that the Porsche is a nice car. However, Porsche seems to think that their car is worth more than I think their car is worth. I'm sure that there is a significant set of us who drive Corvettes that just as easily could be driving Porsche from an economic standpoint. When I have made the comparison, I have chosen the Corvette, but everyone's value system is different. I am not going to knock a Porsche, but it is an individual assessment as to whether it is actually better. Best of luck to you from one car guy to another.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:34 AM
leadfoot88
Racer

Cool man.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Yes, the Porsche is a better car. Of course. But then again, it's just a Porsche, and Ferrari owners look down on the poor fellows that can't afford the prancing pony. Just like Porsche 911 owners look down on Boxster owners. Just like Porsche owners look down on Corvette owners.

People buy different cars for different reasons, and price is a major factor. I couldn't afford a Z06 so I got a C6 coupe. I guess I don't understand what the point of the OP comment is because it just seems to make a lot of sense.

Personally, I would not waste my money on a Porsche because I just don't like them. I would probably spend money on American muscle cars instead because those are the cars that I liked growing up and appreciate more. Everybody has different likes.

I find it funny, though, that the OP mentions all the good things about the Porsche but then sweeps the performance under the rug a bit Right there is the magic of the Vette.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caliero
Yes, it is. I have driven a Porsche, and I have found my half orange. I was not so happy with the quality sense of my C6, or the road feel, or a lot of things, simply the corvette is not a car designed to me.
I have to tell you that the Porsche has much more quality and capacities, the driving feel is much more better, the brakes are much more better, the inside details seems much more best designed, the engine is not as fast as corvette, but the feeling is much more sportive, and the resale price is higher.
Corvette is a good choice for the price, but now i understand why a Porsche 911 Turbo costs 110.000 euros more than a corvette, and sells better than this.
When I have the C6 in my garaje, i did not felt the need of driving it, like I feel with the Porsche.
Best regards.

Hope you have a much more better time.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche is nice, but you just dont get a lot for the money.
I golf and could never fit all my golf gear in that car, and why the hell does it have a backseat with so little legroom the backs of the front seats are touching them?!???!
Weight distribution sucks too...
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 AM
gunnerrun
Racer

Originally Posted by jdavis
Caliero has discovered what we all knew and perhaps one of the reasons for Corvette's success. For 110.000 euro ($154,000) less one can purchase a car that will perform on par with some of the world's finest sports cars. Of course, as Caliero points out, it may not be as refined in some areas as it's more expensive brethren. However, it has to give up some things to keep the price in line with it's target market. It may not have the status factor that an Aston, Ferrari, Lambo, or Porsche, but it offers similar style and performance for thousands less.
If you have and want to spend the money, no one should fault you for your choice. However, if you want the most value for your money, Corvette C6, Z06, and ZR1 will be top choices of informed buyers.
I hope that Caliero enjoys his Porsche and I thank him for reminding us of the great value we have in our Corvettes.
A classy reply. The forum would be better with more like it.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Corvette pound for pound has been kicking the **** out Porshe since The ZR1 in the 90's

The Corvette is like a bic razor. Chevy puts everythng into the blade not the handle.

Porshe is nice but I could never have the same passion for a modified Volkswagon...
Ed
Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

It's not a fair comparison. the 2 - camps are different kinda people with different desires
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
That's a fair assessment. For you. But maybe not for others on this forum. Not sure where yo live, but maybe it's easier to maintain a Porsche where you live than a Corvette.

Enjoy the car and come back some day and tell us what your expenses are, not just the oil and lube stuff (that, too, though). It should be interesting since we have a lotta Porsche owners on this Forum.
For some, what car they drive is not dictated by what operating expenses are - I do not buy something cheaper because possible repairs and oil changes are less....
Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

To the OP, it's funny how different people are. I would never own a Porsche. They just don't appeal to me on many levels. On the other hand, I can't wait to get into my Vette. It always brings a smile to my face.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To I left Corvette, instead of Porsche

Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

The vette gets you 90+% there for tens of thousands of $$$$ less. Yet it's performance is equal or better.. So I can live with it's few short comings.
I wouldn't want to settle for a turbo setup when I could have a V8..

Enjoy your new car.. To each their own...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 AM
markr01000
Racer

You're preachin' to the choir Caliero.

The 911 (the only REAL Porsche) is a true sports car in the traditional sense. Short wheelbase, compact dimensions, a no compromise chassis, and a spirited high revving engine. In my mind it is clearly more of a true sports car then a Corvette.

I don't think a comparison is really fair. The cars are very different in their approach and intent. The Porsche is a no compromise sports car and a base Corvette is more of a touring car in nature.

As far as fit, finish, build quality, materials quality...yeah...there are a number of cheap cars on the market today that have higher quality fit, finish, materials, and interior designs than the Corvette. But hey..it's GM...what do you expect ?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 AM
REVHIGH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Enjoy the car and come back some day and tell us what your expenses are, not just the oil and lube stuff (that, too, though).
I'm guessing that $$ are not an issue for OP. To each his own. Check out the thread wirth topic "What is 'it' about Corvette..." and you won;t find OP. It's an American ICON thing, it's muscle, it's exhiliarating. It's not overly refined and Porch-esk. Bye Bye OP, enjoy your killer Porsche.

Quick Reply: I left Corvette, instead of Porsche