C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's the respect for the Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
hokieZ
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 112 Posts

That looks even cooler than my silver 99 35th anniversary edition Mustang GT I had before my 07 vette.

If we all are honest here, I bet a lot of us have had a Mustang in our life.

Having a vette doesn't mean hating everything else
Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
That new Mustang does look good though, doesn't it?
Well stated.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Tony2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Mustang is more comparable to the Camaro in the automobile industry food chain, and I must say that one looks a lot nicer than the Camaro!!

Tony2
Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Originally Posted by hokieZ
If we all are honest here, I bet a lot of us have had a Mustang in our life.
Having a vette doesn't mean hating everything else
Absolutely

I don't understand all the bashing that goes on here. It's really petty and tiresome.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
Leave cars to the automotive press.
like Motor Trend and Car & Driver ????
Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With all of the responses already submitted. Iaccoca is generally considered to be the "Father" of the Mustang, and so may rightly be biased, but let's also not forget that when the Mustang was introduced in 1964 it was arguably far more popular than any Corvette ever produced and made an impact upon the American public like no car has before or since. Especially the Buick Reatta and the Denim Edition Pacer.

The Corvette, popular as it is, has always been a specialty car - a "boutique" car some might say. It's as iconic as the Mustang to be sure, but never sold in the numbers the Mustang did when it was first introduced.

Like several of the other posters, I also had a Mustang (1997 GT) and liked it very much. I'm sure it was a far more developed car than the original Falcoln-based model, but still was not a Corvette. Maybe better than a Camaro to some, but it's a much different car.

Let's also not overlook the strong following Mustangs have among enthusiasts with at least as many clubs and organizations that we have for Corvettes. That kind of enthusiasm for any car makes it great in my book and that enthusiasm might just be the one element that makes it - to some anyway - ever better than having a Corvette.

I'll drive my C6 to go see a Mustang show anytime.

Good discussion but I'd not like to see anyone get their knickers in a twist over which is the better ride.

That new Mustang does look good though, doesn't it? I like it anyway. It's come a long way from the mid-seventies Mustang II. It should get a special award for that reason alone IMO.

Well stated!

And I have to say that the special edition in the pics is pretty awesome! Except for the cover panel over the rear window... I hate those on the Mustangs...

It's strange though... the car pictured is using the previous body, not the new 2010 version...???
Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Lasic
About as accurate and unbiased as any other item coming out of Fox "News".
he had to say that! he's with ford now.

Keep your far left political out of it.

everyone knows Fox is the only fair and balanced (unbiased) news organization left. Before you bash, do your homework.

with all due respect of course.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
johnn2ilk
Instructor

I think its the 29TH Ann. of the Ford PINTO next month..

Just saying...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 PM
hokieZ
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut

Well stated!

And I have to say that the special edition in the pics is pretty awesome! Except for the cover panel over the rear window... I hate those on the Mustangs...

It's strange though... the car pictured is using the previous body, not the new 2010 version...???
My 99 was the 35th anniversary edition, so I assume the 45th anniversary edition would be a 2009, not a 2010. Gotta get rid of the remaining 09's somehow.....

Funny, my wife prefers the 05-09 Mustang to the 10. Me, I like the 10 better, it looks a bit trimmer to me. I also really like the 10 taillights.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Well, considering the Mustang is his baby I think he may be a bit biased..........

He likely feels the same about K Cars and the Chrysler minivan.
Yeah, those K cars... Classics!!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
chirocorvette
Burning Brakes

I really liked my '06 GT convertible. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the '10 though. I thought that the 06-09's were just about perfect. The '10s look 'femimine' to me, for lack of a better term.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

That new Mustang does look good though, doesn't it? I like it anyway. It's come a long way from the mid-seventies Mustang II. It should get a special award for that reason alone IMO.
Mustangs have been catching my eye a lot lately. I love the look of the fastbacks but am thinking it might be time for a convertible again.

Then I go out into the garage, look at my silver car and come to my senses.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Mustangs are great..even though they aren't direct competition with the Vette they make the vettes better...and all other muscle cars. Healtlhy competition is a good thing...except for the Vette, no other performance car has been around as long..I dare say the Vette and the Mustang are the only pretty much universally known hot rods out there...or at least they are the MOST well know.

Right now you can get a Mustang/Challenger/Camaro..all are good cars much better than the old school versions..I'm afraid this time when they are gone...they are really gone.

To be replaced with messiahmobiles from obamanation.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM
WHT
Drifting

With all due respect, the Mustang and Corvette have never been competitors. The original Mustang was designed as a "cute" and inexpensive car for young women and was based on the Falcon chassis (Iacocca's so called "secretary's car" as Carroll Shelby once famously sneered - AutoWeek).

EDIT: No, not photo shopped. This is one of the original Mustang ads released by Ford in 1964. And, as stated above, Carroll Shelby called the Mustang a "secretary’s car" when Ford asked him to turn it into a muscle car.

Last edited by WHT; 06-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 AM
neveroffline
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Photoshopped.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hokieZ
My 99 was the 35th anniversary edition, so I assume the 45th anniversary edition would be a 2009, not a 2010. Gotta get rid of the remaining 09's somehow.....

Funny, my wife prefers the 05-09 Mustang to the 10. Me, I like the 10 better, it looks a bit trimmer to me. I also really like the 10 taillights.

Ah - I got it now. I was thinking this would be a "normal" production version, so it seemed pretty late in the year to be announcing it. But with only 45 copies to be built, I guess they can make it with the leftover 09's.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreedyCPA
Lee also sang the praises of the "K" car...............
Two of the most popular fleet cars of the 80's - the Dodge Aries and the Plymouth Reliant. The cheapest junk our company could buy to get our people around. We had Pinto wagons, too, but people complained about the blind spots so we had to send them all out to have windows installed in the rear panel area. Those cars replaced our Gremlins and Hornets from the 70's. Nothing but the best for us!

Last edited by VetBoyZR1; 06-24-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Where's the respect for the Vette?