C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on fighting speeding/wreckless driving ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
s2pdfst_z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need input on fighting speeding/wreckless driving ticket

Here's the situation. I was driving my VR 06 Z06 the other night and got pulled over for going 110 in the 55mph zone, and of course he had to give me a ticket for wreckless driving on top of the speeding ticket.

The thing is, I wasn't going 110mph. I was getting on the highway and got it up to 77mph in 2nd gear, I tapped the brakes and slowed down to 65mph. Once I slowed down, a Mazda wagon and Mustang went flying by me. That's when my radar detector went off. The cop obviously saw me fly past them as I got on the highway and that I had the faster car, so he pulled me over. He did the whole sobriety check, in which I wasn't drinking. I was on the way to pick up a friend that had been drinking.

I told him there was no way I was going 110mph since I only had it in 2nd gear, but he still wrote me the ticket. He stated that the technology in his moving radar picks up the faster of the moving objects. I once again told him that the other cars went flying by me. He wrote me up for going 110 in the 55mph zone, but the posted speed limit is 60, and he wrote my name incorrectly on the 2nd ticket for wreckless driving. I'm going to fight it in court, but want to get your opinions on how to go about fighting it.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

get an attorney and whatever you spend on him or her will be the cheapest option for sure..
Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Spend your cash on a good lawyer that works in the court system of the municipality you got the tickets in. Pay the lawyer what ever he want because he knows the ins and out of that system.
Good Luck and let me know how it worked out.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by DonutsZ51
get an attorney and whatever you spend on him or her will be the cheapest option for sure..
get an attorney......
Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 447 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

any priors ?
if you have no prior tickets, a good lawyer might get the charges down to traffic school and court cost with no points, plus his fees of course.
110 in a 55 is an uphill battle for sure though.

good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:54 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Get an attorney!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:13 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

I concur. I tried to fight a ticket in court once that I knew the police were wrong on, and got chewed up & spit out by the policeman & judge. Sometimes you need an expert on your side.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Boz86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by george vee
Spend your cash on a good lawyer that works in the court system of the municipality you got the tickets in. Pay the lawyer what ever he want because he knows the ins and out of that system.

Otherwise it's your word against his, and guess which one of you the judge sees more often?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Wreckless tix are tough on the insurance.

If you have a clean license, it will be easier to get the 2 tix reduced. Take the higher fine and lower infractions that they will offer and be happy.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

First step it to admit to yourself (not to the cops or judge) that you were going pretty fast and then lawyer up. Once upon a time I got caught doing 145 mph in TX riding my then Ninja 900. Needless to say, it was a very expensive ordeal, but all charges were dropped after my lawyer worked out a fine with the prosecutor. Nowadays I'm married to an attorney as I figured it was cheaper than to keep one in retainer.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 PM
d1deuce
Racer

110 in a 55 is pretty hard to fight. But a good attorney will make your life easier. Money talks and makes life easier!!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:04 PM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverNBlackC6
Here's the situation. I was driving my VR 06 Z06 the other night and got pulled over for going 110 in the 55mph zone, and of course he had to give me a ticket for wreckless driving on top of the speeding ticket.

The thing is, I wasn't going 110mph. I was getting on the highway and got it up to 77mph in 2nd gear, I tapped the brakes and slowed down to 65mph. Once I slowed down, a Mazda wagon and Mustang went flying by me. That's when my radar detector went off. The cop obviously saw me fly past them as I got on the highway and that I had the faster car, so he pulled me over. He did the whole sobriety check, in which I wasn't drinking. I was on the way to pick up a friend that had been drinking.

I told him there was no way I was going 110mph since I only had it in 2nd gear, but he still wrote me the ticket. He stated that the technology in his moving radar picks up the faster of the moving objects. I once again told him that the other cars went flying by me. He wrote me up for going 110 in the 55mph zone, but the posted speed limit is 60, and he wrote my name incorrectly on the 2nd ticket for wreckless driving. I'm going to fight it in court, but want to get your opinions on how to go about fighting it.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Good luck here in Louisiana, anything doubled over the speed limit is an automatic, arrest on site...
Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 PM
SGTKELLYARMY
Intermediate

get a lawyer most likely he will be able to get the wreckless thrown away and the speed dropped on the other ticket and you can get traffic school,let your lawyer do the talking with the police officer before you enter the court and most times the cop is getting paid his overtime and the lawyer is doing all the talking with the judge and the police officer will just sit there and have nothing to say
Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverNBlackC6

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
There is a very glaring comment in what he told you. He said his radar picks up the fastest of the vehicles. Okay, so it picks up the fastest (I've never heard of that, but I'm not expert) - but he still has to know which car it was that was the fastest.

I agree on the attorney advice (which I HATE giving). Be sure to get someone who specializes in traffic tickets. They can work magic. It will cost you money, but not a big ticket on your record.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Smitter
Pro

Get a lawyer with traffic court experience. There are several ways to fight tickets like calibration, training or certification ect. Good Luck
Old 06-22-2009, 02:57 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

One of my coworkers just got a reckless driving charge. It cost him his license for 6 months on top of the fine. Get a lawyer.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a lawyer that specializes in traffic tickets. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Need input on fighting speeding/wreckless driving ticket

Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,930 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by rakuhn
Get an attorney!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by george vee
Absolutely! Find out WHO is the best attorney for traffic court issues in this area. And then def spend the money, or you're toast. There's almost no way to "prove" that you weren't the one doing 110. Therefore, in my opinion, it's a legal and judgment call.

Not unless you have the license plates of the two other cars which I know you don't. And even if you did, the officer is not going to admit they were the ones.

He got you. You're it. Period.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:36 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

You have a very expensive road ahead of you on this one unfortunately......find the best lawyer you can who specializes in moving violations,this is no time to go with the lowest bidder.

And it doesn't matter about your misspelled name,just so you know. If you bring that up all that will happen is the ticket gets amended.

Quick Reply: Need input on fighting speeding/wreckless driving ticket