C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 Corvette - Going The Way of the Dinosaurs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZR1 Corvette - Going The Way of the Dinosaurs

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...ndustryinsider
Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, look what they say about the Nav unit
Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

"because there are so many Corvettes on the road"

I'm sorry but WHAT? are those guys for real? I see maybe 2 corvettes on my way to work per week, if that, and it's the same ones! lol I've only seen one ZR1, and haven't encounter another Z06...

They must have misplaced that comment, and meant to write it in the Mustang section...lol
Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the price tag vs performance...
thumb up for american muscle car...

I got to admit the interiors dont measure up to the $300k car...but leather seats can not cost that much...
Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Around these parts, C6's are as common as Toyoya's.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is just the typical crap written by most car rag writers. These guys aren't Consumer Reports. They don't know how to write without hyperbole, and they expose their ignorance again and again to anyone who really knows any of the cars they blather on about.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
It is just the typical crap written by most car rag writers. These guys aren't Consumer Reports. They don't know how to write without hyperbole, and they expose their ignorance again and again to anyone who really knows any of the cars they blather on about.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
leatherneck21
Racer

The corvette will never go away if it keeps gas mileage up over 30mpg...like the ZR7 claims 36mpg. I don't know why they have to charge so much...it's just a car...a quarter is a quarter but when you write corvette on it then it becomes a dollar!!! Such bull****
Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltorsello
Wow, look what they say about the Nav unit
The Nav is awesome after reading the manual.

The C6 is one heck of a car. I'm very happy I traded in the C5 which just did not quite ever live up to expectations and I'm so glad the C6 replaced it. The C6 is a great value and one heck of a car. Which makes the ZR1 all that much more.

Can you imagine what a Vette that cost 300k would be? If the Vette can surpass so many cars from 49-105K. A 300k Vette would be beyond incredible.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Consumer reports? Maybe for a washing machine or toilet paper but not a car.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
bsr8129
Pro

Originally Posted by mirage2991
"because there are so many Corvettes on the road"

I'm sorry but WHAT? are those guys for real? I see maybe 2 corvettes on my way to work per week, if that, and it's the same ones! lol I've only seen one ZR1, and haven't encounter another Z06...

They must have misplaced that comment, and meant to write it in the Mustang section...lol
Vettes are all over the place here, i see 5 to 6 on any given day and they are never the same ones.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 PM
chsmith112
Drifting

Compared to the other cars in that test the vette out numbers the others like 30 to 1.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Let me get this straight; they say its the best car out of the group, is a fourth of the price of the others, and they're tearing the car apart?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

They rated the Vette Number One. So what is the beef?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:29 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Consumer reports? Maybe for a washing machine or toilet paper but not a car.
Yes, Consumer Reports, an independent testing lab not driven by advertising dollars. Their test engineers report objective facts about washing machines, TVs, power saws, cars, etc. A machine is a machine, engineers measure how well, or how poorly, they work, how durable they are, etc. They don't get emotionally entangled with them, and more to the point here, they don't need to use purple prose and hyperbole to write about them.

Car rag writers are by and large English majors who couldn't find a real job. There are a few, very few, exceptions to this where a car writer actually has an automotive engineering degree and is thus qualified to give an expert opinion. But then there are two kinds of engineers too. Like artists, there those who can do, and those who can only be critics. The engineers at Consumer Reports actually do engineering work.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Car and Driver is about as credible when it comes to predicting cars as Barney Frank in balancing his checkbook.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NYC6
Around these parts, C6's are as common as Toyoya's.
If not more common ...

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Corvette - Going The Way of the Dinosaurs

Old 06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Yes, Consumer Reports, an independent testing lab not driven by advertising dollars. Their test engineers report objective facts about washing machines, TVs, power saws, cars, etc. A machine is a machine, engineers measure how well, or how poorly, they work, how durable they are, etc. They don't get emotionally entangled with them, and more to the point here, they don't need to use purple prose and hyperbole to write about them.

Car rag writers are by and large English majors who couldn't find a real job. There are a few, very few, exceptions to this where a car writer actually has an automotive engineering degree and is thus qualified to give an expert opinion. But then there are two kinds of engineers too. Like artists, there those who can do, and those who can only be critics. The engineers at Consumer Reports actually do engineering work.
Consumer reports is no longer taken seriously by most Americans. Many recent debacles have turned the publication into nothing more then a place for your dog to do it's duty.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/10/c...o-controversy/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16696069/
http://www.automotivedigest.com/cont...e.aspx?a=36666
http://www.autospies.com/news/Should...Reports-18905/
http://www1.epinions.com/review/mags...39AB3545-prod6
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html
http://pediatrics.about.com/b/2007/0...ontroversy.htm

Consumers Union, the nonprofit organization behind the magazine, has the laudable mission of attempting to provide consumers with unbiased, objective, useful product information. They don't accept advertising nor product donations. Rather, they purchase items like the rest of us. They then subject them to an array of tests and report their findings.

While this sounds great in theory, the results are uneven. Some of the tests that a product are subjected to may be hard for the average person to relate to. Real use in real settings just isn't the same animal as a set of esoteric tests. And, like it or not, there is no such thing as objectivity.

Bias always enters into a picture in one way or another. Perhaps most common is the observation of many people that Consumer Reports generally has a strong preference for foreign versus domestic vehicles. Bias occurs in other forms, as well. I remember years ago when they withdrew their good words for a product they had chosen as some sort of best buy. They did this because the manufacturer broke of of CU's rules and stated in their own advertising that CU had preferred them to others. Okay, the manufacturer may have broken CU's rule... but the product was still the same good product that CU had adored. CU's attitudes towards a company do bias how they rate that company's products.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
They rated the Vette Number One. So what is the beef?
Yeah, it would seem that people ripping the writer for this article have not even read the article.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:35 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's actually a CAR AND DRIVER article.

And yes, the ZR1 took 1st place in this test, but so many people ripped on the article. I don't think they even read it. So who is REALLY biased? Not Car & Driver, I think the C6 owners...

I believe anytime someone says anything about a Corvette, they automatically assume it is negative. Or if they give the car excellent reviews but state ONE negative thing about it, the Corvette people go berserk. Like a hyper sensitive woman on her menstrual cycle.

Last edited by LBear; 06-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: ZR1 Corvette - Going The Way of the Dinosaurs