C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Corvette Quality Stay the Same in the NEW GM

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM
s420merc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will Corvette Quality Stay the Same in the NEW GM

Since GM is now a Government company will the quality of the cars go down. I am thinking of buying a 2010 Grand Sport in the spring and just wondering since The Govt always uses the cheapest posible supliers for parts will this be the same at GM now. Will GM use the lowest bid parts supplier and will Build and Reliability suffer as a result. I curently have a SRT8 300C and its been reliable so far not a single prob. Just curious if u think that the Corvette will suffer as a result of all the cuts GM will make.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM is not a government company. It is currently financed by the government. Big difference. I expect it to repay the government and be public once again. To do that, it needs to build high quality cars that people want.

- Mark
Old 06-14-2009, 09:29 PM
mgtr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that quality will suffer in 2010, but down the road I would be worried.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by mgtr
I don't think that quality will suffer in 2010, but down the road I would be worried.
Should be fine for now, but expect Govt Motors to build econo boxes and try to force them upon us, get your Vette now
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
imma_stocker
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Automakers need to have an average of 35mpg in year X. The Corvette is much closer than anything in the truck lineup.

As for quality, it may suffer depending on who still makes the decisions. Does the gov't own shares or control lending power? How much red tape do managers have?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s420merc
Since GM is now a Government company will the quality of the cars go down. I am thinking of buying a 2010 Grand Sport in the spring and just wondering since The Govt always uses the cheapest posible supliers for parts will this be the same at GM now. Will GM use the lowest bid parts supplier and will Build and Reliability suffer as a result. I curently have a SRT8 300C and its been reliable so far not a single prob. Just curious if u think that the Corvette will suffer as a result of all the cuts GM will make.
Huh? GM has always used the cheapest possible vendors, then squeezes them even more. That's why even in good times GM suppliers are an eye blink away from bankruptcy.

Meanwhile, the government lets cost plus contracts that result in the most expensive fighter aircraft (F22), most expensive fighting vehicles (M1A1), toolkits containing $400 hammers, and $20,000 toilet seats.

GM has jacked up the MSRP of the C6 every year (twice a year) since the first one rolled off the line in 2004. The Corvette has the highest margin of any vehicle built by GM. It is a car that costs $20,000 to build while being sold for $55,000. GM can cut the price plenty before needing to corners on build quality (such as it is).
Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
GM is not a government company. It is currently financed by the government. Big difference. I expect it to repay the government and be public once again.

- Mark
Riiiiiiiggghhhhtttt...

And monkeys might fly out of my butt
Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Huh? GM has always used the cheapest possible vendors, then squeezes them even more. That's why even in good times GM suppliers are an eye blink away from bankruptcy.

Meanwhile, the government lets cost plus contracts that result in the most expensive fighter aircraft (F22), most expensive fighting vehicles (M1A1), toolkits containing $400 hammers, and $20,000 toilet seats.

GM has jacked up the MSRP of the C6 every year (twice a year) since the first one rolled off the line in 2004. The Corvette has the highest margin of any vehicle built by GM. It is a car that costs $20,000 to build while being sold for $55,000. GM can cut the price plenty before needing to corners on build quality (such as it is).

As for quality taking a hit, I would think that's the LAST thing they want to do if they want to turn the company around.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
GM is not a government company. It is currently financed by the government. Big difference. I expect it to repay the government and be public once again. To do that, it needs to build high quality cars that people want.

- Mark
Gov't owns the majority of GM because of the bankruptcy, therefore it is gov't owned. Second largest owner is the UAW. GM is answering to the wishes and demands of the gov't, not shareholders or bondholders (both of which got screwed by the gov't). The money will enver be repaid and GM will continue its long slide down hill until congress & the people cry uncle.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think it will be an issue. Should be fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Good points.

But, Toyota and Honda are much worse and often squeezes suppliers even harder then GM. This is probably why Toyota prices have increased while quality has dipped along with sales. Toyota although not in the headlines is having major sales and quality issues.

As for the Corvette it gets better every year. Despite many on this forum that try so darn hard to hurt it's reputation.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-15-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I think that those $400 hammers and etc. are an overstatement as the dollars most likely go to secret projects. I doubt that there is any disclosure with regard to a budget on secret projects so the dollars get allocated (expensed) to projects on the books.

Yup there is plenty of profit in the Corvette and GM/ government motors will squeeze every penny from vendors.....who is going to argue with the government
Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I think that those $400 hammers and etc. are an overstatement as the dollars most likely go to secret projects. I doubt that there is any disclosure with regard to a budget on secret projects so the dollars get allocated (expensed) to projects on the books.

Yup there is plenty of profit in the Corvette and GM/ government motors will squeeze every penny from vendors.....who is going to argue with the government

Great points. The government counts on both citizens and even spies being stupid and believing the $400 hammer stuff. They count on people not thinking out of the box. Some of those secret projects are incredible and must be paid for without giving away secrets. Easier just to say a toilet was 20k then a invoice for some liquid or nuclear part.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 AM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I say it is really too early too tell what the future of the vette will be. Anything said now is just speculation. However, since Obama is pushing to get all vehicles to have 35 mpg, there will probably be some changes but I don't think this change will be permanent. Remember in the past high hp cars were eliminated for a few years and now we have cars with over 500 hp. I hope that if hp is lowered on cars again that it is for a short stint.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Good points.

But, Toyota and Honda are much worse and often squeezes suppliers even harder then GM. This is probably why Toyota prices have increased while quality has dipped along with sales. Toyota although not in the headlines is having major sales and quality issues.

As for the Corvette it gets better every year. Despite many on this forum that try so darn hard to hurt it's reputation.
Wow can you actually post something without slamming Honda/Toyota. We get it buddy you think they suck *** and GM is wonderful.

Originally Posted by peter pan
Should be fine for now, but expect Govt Motors to build econo boxes and try to force them upon us, get your Vette now
I can see this becoming a reality in the near future.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wii
Wow can you actually post something without slamming Honda/Toyota. We get it buddy you think they suck *** and GM is wonderful.

I can see this becoming a reality in the near future.
No not you? Not with your biased outlook and love for Japanese cars and video games?

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-15-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

I do not think the Govenment being a majority owner of GM will have any negative impact on quality. It is in their best interest as well as everyone elses that GM build a quailty product no matter which model it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Will Corvette Quality Stay the Same in the NEW GM

Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 346 Posts

if you look at all of their new/newer offerings closely you will find the quality to be excellent and on the same level as the japan auto makers. just take a close look.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Good points.

I think GM quality is going to improve 100%.. which is scary for ShopDog's employers..who I suspect to be one of GM's competitors. Hell... one look at the current crop of vehicles that GM has... one can see that they are already EQUAL or BETTER than their competitors.. any increase in quality at this point would simply triumph all comers.

I'm seeing money that was going to Saturn, Saab, Hummer, and Pontiac.. now going in to Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC. Not to mention the ability to actually MARKET more proficiently.

OH.. to all those under the DOOM and GLOOM futilities.. I seriously don't see your attempts at derailment via a push in the direction of misconceived hate to completely sway the purchasing might of the American people. Their attention tends to be so short sited.. that the quick BK.. and slightly longer Government involvement might be forgotten 2 days after the IPO is put out on Wall Street.

But then U do have Fox News... a truly reputable bunch
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,371 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

"Will Corvette Quality Stay the Same in the New GM"

I hope not, they need to quit cheaping out on the little stuff.
The engines are bulletproof, but everything else is really minimum quality.
Each GM car I've owned in the last 20 years, including the C5 and C6, has had more problems than all of our Toyotas combined.

Newspaper article last year said that Toyota of all builders in the U.S. pays the highest prices to their suppliers because they want stuff that doesn't break. I wish GM would do the same. Another $2,000 for a C6 that wasn't a shop queen would be a bargain.

Quick Reply: Will Corvette Quality Stay the Same in the NEW GM