C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

I overheard a man saying something that sounded negative about my Corvette as I walked into the bay area where it was being serviced. I didn’t quite catch the remark. He was talking to someone standing next to him. So I said, “What was that remark about my car?” And he replies, “Nothing really”. So I said, “Hey…No problem, I won’t be offended if it was negative” (well, maybe a little).

So the man doesn’t give me a direct answer, but tells me he owns a GTR. I smiled and told him it wouldn’t even be a race…He would lose. He could tell I wasn’t uptight, and we both laughed. So he walked over and we had a nice conversation about GTR’s and Corvettes. He knew a lot about both, and had some knowledge of performance modifications. I told him mine had headers, cam, 4.10 gears, etc., and we agreed we both had fast cars without arguing about which may have been the quickest. We both liked cars, especially Vettes & GTR’s, and we had a nice conversation.

So he wanted to hear my NPP mufflers, and I agreed to start up the car for him. With headers and high flow cats, the NPP mufflers were especially loud inside the bay area. The cam lope and car shake were very noticeable. He smiled and said, “I guess I better think twice when I pull up alongside a Corvette!”
Old 06-13-2009, 11:23 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend of mine has a GTR. He thinks his GTR is faster than my Z06 and I think my Z06 is faster than his GTR. He went out did a bunch of mods to his GTR. Now we will never find out.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,176 Posts

The GTR owner sounds cool. Its a cool ride although not a personal favorite due to its somewhat Bizarre styling...(which is a personal opinion)

As far as modding a car? i wouldn't own a GTR without a warranty..
Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM
jozGS4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sometimes the DRIVER mod is the most important and it's cool that car enthusiasts can have good conversations without them turning into pissing contests and bench racing.
Both cars are pretty damn cool.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:03 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

In the real world you can't use the full power legally on the street for long without drastically increasing your chances of going to jail. It is cool that he seemed to be knowledgable but IMO he probably should just kept quiet in the first place. That is what gives P car owners a bd name these days.

GTR is definitely amazing but I just don't care for the looks. A GTR fan (not owner) on another forum always gets on me because I say I don't like the looks of the GTR, saying Japanese cars are the best, American cars are junk, etc, etc, etc. I just tell him it is a personal opinion, something we are entitled to have.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
In the real world you can't use the full power legally on the street for long without drastically increasing your chances of going to jail. It is cool that he seemed to be knowledgable but IMO he probably should just kept quiet in the first place. That is what gives P car owners a bd name these days.

GTR is definitely amazing but I just don't care for the looks. A GTR fan (not owner) on another forum always gets on me because I say I don't like the looks of the GTR, saying Japanese cars are the best, American cars are junk, etc, etc, etc. I just tell him it is a personal opinion, something we are entitled to have.
The GTR could be the fastest and best car in the world. But, it is d*** ugly. To me what is the point of having a fast Ugly car? Better off buying a VW bug and spending $$$ to mod it.

At some point someone will come along and say it looks better in person then in pictures. I have seen that a thousand times stated about the GTR. That would be like showing someone a picture of your wife or girlfriend and saying but she looks better in person.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:25 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both cars are nice but different.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

unless I see the GTR badge on the car I always think it is a 350Z I think they would have been better off giving it some more unique styling. Yeah I know the C6Z06 is not a far cry from the C6 but Gm didn't set out to make it a different car they basically improved the base C6. Nissan called the GTR a supercar and while it may be performance wise I think styling wise they missed the boat. I just expected something more exotic looking. Of course I guess that could be said about the ZR1 but again...a step up from a Z06 and from a cost standpoint developmentally it made sense for GM. Not that it matters now
Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewter99
unless I see the GTR badge on the car I always think it is a 350Z I think they would have been better off giving it some more unique styling. Yeah I know the C6Z06 is not a far cry from the C6 but Gm didn't set out to make it a different car they basically improved the base C6. Nissan called the GTR a supercar and while it may be performance wise I think styling wise they missed the boat. I just expected something more exotic looking. Of course I guess that could be said about the ZR1 but again...a step up from a Z06 and from a cost standpoint developmentally it made sense for GM. Not that it matters now
Well said. And the 350Z is no looker either.

ZR1 and GTR not even close.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Finally got to see a GTR in the dealers showroom, all locked up so not able to sit in it. For the money it really is not a good looking car but I guess it has some nice technical features. As for your conversation it is often more common than not that true "car people" can have a conversation/debate about their particular cars of choice without the mine is better that yours.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
You really need to put a picture of the two of them next to each other. They don't even look remotely the same (well, not from the rear, and the other angles are pretty different as well). It would be like someone saying they can't tell the difference between a Malibu and a Corvette.

Last edited by jschindler; 06-13-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What is the real selling price of the GTR and did I not read that the ZR1 is lots faster?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:57 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The GTR price was recently raised by about $10,000. It now STARTS at $82k for the base model incl. $1000 destination charge, assuming you want the OPTIONAL $280 floor mats...

(though, all the UGLY is still included free of charge...)

The dealers around NC are getting right at sticker now - no more ridiculous '$20k-40k market adjustments'. And most GTR's seem to be sticking around showrooms at least 3-6 months before being sold for that price. Just goes to show that even heavily-hyped, limited production cars from non-US manufacturers are not selling well right now.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 06-13-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I have seen the the GTR in person and it is for the money.
It's not just about how fast you get there , but how good you look getting there as well.
Nissan may have had all the techno stuff in the GTR, but missed the boat on the styling, specially in this price bracket.IMHO
Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
The GTR could be the fastest and best car in the world. But, it is d*** ugly. To me what is the point of having a fast Ugly car? Better off buying a VW bug and spending $$$ to mod it.

At some point someone will come along and say it looks better in person then in pictures. I have seen that a thousand times stated about the GTR. That would be like showing someone a picture of your wife or girlfriend and saying but she looks better in person.

The rear end light panel looks like the back of a Mitsubishi Eclipse or something close to it as they all do look alike. That's just too much $$$ for that kind of styling from lesser cars if you want to call it that.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The GTR owner sounds cool. Its a cool ride although not a personal favorite due to its somewhat Bizarre styling...(which is a personal opinion)

As far as modding a car? i wouldn't own a GTR without a warranty..
Funny thing is that if you owned a GTR you wouldn't have a warranty for very long. Nissan is notorious for voiding the warranties on them for every little thing.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw a GTR run the road course at PIR a few weeks back and I was impressed. The driver was really getting after it and it looked to be fairly fast. I didn't have a clock on it but I doubt the faster modified Vettes will be too worried.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 AM
WhItEKnIgHt23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love sweet cars...domestic, japanese, and european. As a kid loved corvettes and lamborghinis. In college the japanese tuner phase (turbo'd nissan altima). Was eagerly anticipating the GTR...absolutely unrivaled performance for the $$$$, but not sleek lookin at all. So I bought the Vette which has the performance, looks, and bang for the buck. Happy I made that decision too. I can honestly say that most "car guys" that I know appreciate all cars (altough every1 has biases that we joke round about). I go to import car shows and domestic. Watch drag racing and drifting. From what I've read in these posts I can tell that you guys are the same...REAL cars guys who respect all automotive genius.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GTR is simply F***ing ugly.

Just another Asian POS.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:17 AM
WhItEKnIgHt23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wass. Oh BTW. How does the NPP mufflers with headers and Hi flow cats? Is it loud all the time or only at wide open throttle?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.