C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will you buy a Corvette from the new GM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Dudeurgettnavette
I'll buy as long as HP keeps going up.
Ditto.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 PM
filmelf
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08

Lot of anger in this thread.

So America is in a tough situation, we've been there before and we will, as we have in the past, get out of this one.

Let's look at a few things beside what president or political party or union should we blame. After all it is a lot of things.

Bankers making loans to people who shouldn;t have gotten them because the banker was paid on commission and they, as all commissioned persons are, making the most they can and I would believe the pressure to do so was enormous.

Big oil being held hostage by several countries also a problem.

Bad decision making in all areas of business and government as well as a lack of vision and willingness to change.

All factors in our situation but if you want to get up close and personal then take a good look in the mirror because we, the people, let it happen.

The larger question is how can each of us contribute to the solution not who can we place blame on which is counter productive and perpetuates hostility.

$.02
Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by filmelf

So America is in a tough situation, we've been there before and we will, as we have in the past, get out of this one.

Let's look at a few things beside what president or political party or union should we blame. After all it is a lot of things.

Bankers making loans to people who shouldn;t have gotten them because the banker was paid on commission and they, as all commissioned persons are, making the most they can and I would believe the pressure to do so was enormous.

Bad decision making in all areas of business and government as well as a lack of vision and willingness to change.

All factors in our situation but if you want to get up close and personal then take a good look in the mirror because we, the people, let it happen.

The larger question is how can each of us contribute to the solution not who can we place blame on which is counter productive and perpetuates hostility.

$.02

The reason cars are not selling, which means my company lays off 500 people this year and cuts back hours by 30% is.......most of middle America lost about 50% of their net worth a year or so ago. They aren't buying anything right now.

Not a surprise.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Rule292
Race Director

$.02
J/C do you live in LA and work in the film industry?

I just pray that once the bill for GM's survival comes due I can afford to buy a new Vette if I want one.

To what extent will my future employment support my lifestyle and to what extent will the costs to me as a taxpayer be.

To me, that's a really big concern.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Because many people are probably not even aware of the facts you present. They have been brainwashed by the mainstream media, the greenies, and the Hollywood Limo Libs into believing the evil GM management (and to a lesser degree Ford and Mopar) is the only car company having problems. What really pisses them off is the number of trucks and SUVs sold.

Here's a question: how many greenies would buy a Hybrid if it didn't have "HYBRID" badging all over it ?
U wanna see something even weirder???

Check out this from the WSJ...

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...autosales.html

Market Shares as of MAY 31 2009:

GM: 20.5% up 1.4% over May 2008
Ford: 16.8% up 2.1

Toyota 16.5% DOWN 1.9%
Honda 10.6% DOWN 1.4%

and Toyota and Honda are building cars that people want.. According to that Dumb *** Sen Corker and Sen Shelby.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Because many people are probably not even aware of the facts you present. They have been brainwashed by the mainstream media, the greenies, and the Hollywood Limo Libs into believing the evil GM management (and to a lesser degree Ford and Mopar) is the only car company having problems. What really pisses them off is the number of trucks and SUVs sold.

Here's a question: how many greenies would buy a Hybrid if it didn't have "HYBRID" badging all over it ?

Absolutely outstanding points.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by Rule292
J/C do you live in LA and work in the film industry?

I just pray that once the bill for GM's survival comes due I can afford to buy a new Vette if I want one.

To what extent will my future employment support my lifestyle and to what extent will the costs to me as a taxpayer be.

To me, that's a really big concern.
I just pray I can afford to pay the taxes whan the GM bill comes due, and due, and due......
Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Originally Posted by owebo
I just pray I can afford to pay the taxes whan the GM bill comes due, and due, and due......
The printing press is in DC not in my basement.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
filmelf
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08

[QUOTE=Rule292;1570449443]J/C do you live in LA and work in the film industry?

Yes, when there is work, but I have a day job working with software issues.

I suppose you are going to try to lump me into some group of actors or industry personel like Hanoi Jane, S. Penn, and others, who think they know it all and haven't the sense to keep their opinion to themselves.

I'm not one of them and never will be, I earn my money just like you do. However, I believe that I am responsible for me and mine, not anyone else. I also know I can over come any problem one way or the other. I lost everything when oil went bust in Texas during the 80's, i'm doing okay and am stronger from going through it. Good luck to us all.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Yes, when there is work, but I have a day job working with software issues.

I suppose you are going to try to lump me into some group of actors or industry personel like Hanoi Jane, S. Penn, and others, who think they know it all and haven't the sense to keep their opinion to themselves.

I'm not one of them and never will be, I earn my money just like you do. However, I believe that I am responsible for me and mine, not anyone else. I also know I can over come any problem one way or the other. I lost everything when oil went bust in Texas during the 80's, i'm doing okay and am stronger from going through it. Good luck to us all.

Nope, I was just curious since I saw your screen name and location. Nothing offensive intended.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've gone full circle on this issue, from being pissed off that GM just didn't go bankrupt last year to being pissed about the government owning any of our beloved GM to thinking, oh well, this is where we find ourselves. I still, apparently, own a few shares of GM. I thought my shaes went away when they declared, but they're still in my account under a different sysmbol. I really like the CTS-V and would even consider trading the vette for one if the deal was right. I can't help wondering, though, it took GM almost four years to take the new Camaro from sketch to market, so how are they going to bring a "small car" to market any faster? GM is a behemoth that just doesn't do anything quickly or efficiently.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui
I've gone full circle on this issue, from being pissed off that GM just didn't go bankrupt last year to being pissed about the government owning any of our beloved GM to thinking, oh well, this is where we find ourselves. I still, apparently, own a few shares of GM. I thought my shaes went away when they declared, but they're still in my account under a different sysmbol. I really like the CTS-V and would even consider trading the vette for one if the deal was right. I can't help wondering, though, it took GM almost four years to take the new Camaro from sketch to market, so how are they going to bring a "small car" to market any faster? GM is a behemoth that just doesn't do anything quickly or efficiently.
2 new Small cars will be introduced in 2011, the Spark (Chevy Beat Concept) and Viva (replacement for aging Aveo). The Volt will some out in 2010.

I have an 09 CTS-V parked next to my 08 Z51... They complement each other to much to not have both... in other words.. .treat yourself.. have both.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,025 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I think my decision to buy another corvette will have more to do with result of the governments regulations on the "finished" product than on the governments ownership of GM.

I think the White House is going to have ALL automakers required to make vehicles that no one will want 5 years from now, because of the new fuel economy regulations.

As a result, I think the next corvette C7 will make the Saturn Sky look like a ZR1 by comparison...that fact will effect my decision more than the likes of Barney Rubble.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cmicasa
2 new Small cars will be introduced in 2011, the Spark (Chevy Beat Concept) and Viva (replacement for aging Aveo). The Volt will some out in 2010.

I have an 09 CTS-V parked next to my 08 Z51... They complement each other to much to not have both... in other words.. .treat yourself.. have both.

It takes several years to bring a car from concept to the showroom floor. With Camaro GM was spot on with a huge hit beyond anybody's expectations. Let us hope this continues with the new upcoming models.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by Rule292
The printing press is in DC not in my basement.
Tell me about it....Since obama took office, I actually get stuck in traffic waiting for the trucks delivering to the mint in DC.....Three shifts of money and he still can print enough....We are all doomed.....
Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
That's a good one.
Somehow I do not remember Bush crying about the mess Clinton left him with national security or Reagan about the absolute disaster and the mess left by Jimmy Carter.

The only good thing is with Jimmy Carter II in office it is without question a one term presidency. America has never before and never will stand for a weak and apologetic President.
VS, I think it's racist of you to imply that Jimmy Carter is black.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by goatts
Right on bro! Poor Obama and the Democrats keep trying to fix stuff and Bush just keeps screwing everything up. It's just not fair since a lot of it's Cheney and Haliburton's fault.
Don't forget KBR !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Will you buy a Corvette from the new GM?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by goatts
This is due to decades of inferior reliability which unfortunately includes the vette.
I would word it this way:

This is due to decades of inferior reliability. Unfortunately, the perception is still there, even though it's no longer true.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by David Lasic
Just what do we build in the United States anymore besides military equipment?
Not a lot. Unfortunately, the unions priced themselves right out of the market.

But I still buy American when ever I can !!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by David Lasic
Bottom line Texan, we're all Americans. If we don't get over this BS hatred of just about everything we will all suffer the consequences. It already is bad enough.
Texan ?

Quick Reply: Will you buy a Corvette from the new GM?