C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will you buy a Corvette from the new GM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 PM
40idf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
If you get a chance go down to BG for a tour and look at some of the workers. And wonder if they have a new baby, children or a sick parent.
You think bondholders don't have children? You think they don't
bleed? The workers have participated in their own undoing. The
care for the workers and no one else is preposterous.

1,800,000 have been laidoff since the coronation. Why aren't you
calling for the feds to prop up all their companies so they can keep
their jobs? Why are auto workers worthy of protection when no one
else is?

Not only is GM dead, the government is BROKE. They have no money.
All they can do is steal from the new baby. Stealing from a babies
is wrong.

Joe
Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 40idf
You think bondholders don't have children? You think they don't
bleed? The workers have participated in their own undoing. The
care for the workers and no one else is preposterous.

1,800,000 have been laidoff since the coronation. Why aren't you
calling for the feds to prop up all their companies so they can keep
their jobs? Why are auto workers worthy of protection when no one
else is?

Not only is GM dead, the government is BROKE. They have no money.
All they can do is steal from the new baby. Stealing from a babies
is wrong.

Joe
Fine, blame Bush then because he spent 8 years setting up the "coronation" you so hate AND the whole financial meltdown that resulted in 99% of those layoffs. You need to realize that you are responsible for all of this because of your election choices. You just can't handle the truth.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 PM
texastim
Instructor

gm is not dead. china will buy them, i bet you anything!

heck china can buy the u.s.a. if they wanted to THANKS to us being in a coma over the past several decades. they LOVE american cars, they now can afford them. BUICK (lol) is their car of choice. ever thought as to why buick has survived over olds, pontiac, saab, hummer, saturn? it isnt because of their popularity over here in the states.

seriously, if gm does go down, and i really hope not, what would happen to our existing corvettes? do you think that we could get new parts? i bet they would be expensive to get though.

i am sure people with knowledge can work on them, and i would wonder, would our cars be worth more in value, or instead plummet? scary thoughts, scary questions. let's hope it does not happen, but i really see no way that gm can make the needed money to get out of the 6-foot hole.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by texastim
gm is not dead. china will buy them, i bet you anything!

heck china can buy the u.s.a. if they wanted to THANKS to us being in a coma over the past several decades. they LOVE american cars, they now can afford them. BUICK (lol) is their car of choice. ever thought as to why buick has survived over olds, pontiac, saab, hummer, saturn? it isnt because of their popularity over here in the states.

seriously, if gm does go down, and i really hope not, what would happen to our existing corvettes? do you think that we could get new parts? i bet they would be expensive to get though.

i am sure people with knowledge can work on them, and i would wonder, would our cars be worth more in value, or instead plummet? scary thoughts, scary questions. let's hope it does not happen, but i really see no way that gm can make the needed money to get out of the 6-foot hole.
FWIW, China and the U.S. have a symbiotic relationship for now. For the present, they need us to be the economic engine that buys their goods and we need them to be the cheap producer of goods and, frankly, our banking resource, which sucks. Clearly, time will change this since they already own a great deal of the debt Bush put us in.

I wish GM well. We need this history, this industry, but I really don't know what is going to happen. I was not a fan of the bailout but feel that it is just another thing Bush piled on top of Obama to make his presidency more difficult right from the start. I do not think Obama is doing everything right either but it is the hand he was dealt and it's a sh*tty hand no matter what.

I am sad for all of the people who, like me, have been laid off in this meltdown. I'm pissed for the GM bondholders as that just should not have happened. There's a LOT of crap that should not have happened, and that goes back a long time!

I, for one am certainly willing to consider buying from GM again.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

Haven't replied or posted in quite awhile but I'll add my $.02 on this.

First and formost: is it going to be Corvette as we know it? Because if it is I will. If the quality, style etc., are reduced or limited I will not.

I'm liking the Grand Sport a lot and may have to take the plunge at some point.

It is a crying shame what The economy and our import/manufacturing policies have done to the big 3, I absolutely do not like Chrysler, Ford is okay, but I love GM cars.

Buy American, bring back our manufacturing, keep the $ in the USA, and our people working.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:56 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Note to self - don't even bother opening this thread again. I'm truly amazed to find some folks even admit to owning a Corvette by participating in this forum.

I've never seen so much hatred for the country we live in, and the companies that we have actually bought cars from.

I think a few of you (and you SHOULD know who you are by your posts) need to get out of this country and start a new life somewhere else. You obviously think that there are better places to live than the USA.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Big Jimm
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Why punish the worker and his/her family to make a political statement?
We’d have to answer that with a question: Why should the rest of us
struggling Americans deprive OUR families to feed THEIRS?

Things are tightening for everybody. We taxpayers had NOTHING to do
with the GM company .. or, the workers who elected to work there.
They chose to work there and receive HUGE way over-market benefits
for years and years. Did THEY pay any of OUR mortgages?

So why on earth should WE be expected to bail THEM out? We all have
our OWN problems and bills to pay.

I can think of THOUSANDS of people RIGHT NOW who need help. Is it
reasonable to expect us to deprive our family needs to benefit other
workers who we had nothing to do with?

In an economy like this, EVERYBODY has to move DOWN. And, don’t
forget, UAW bosses are holding MILLIONS of dollars! Why aren’t THEY
giving it out to their own members?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:08 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
Fine, blame Bush then because he spent 8 years setting up the "coronation" you so hate AND the whole financial meltdown that resulted in 99% of those layoffs. You need to realize that you are responsible for all of this because of your election choices. You just can't handle the truth.
No, you blame Bush...BDS...
Old 06-13-2009, 09:08 PM
40idf
Racer

Here's the truth:

Washington cooked up a deal to save the UAW. Washington is so
incompetent, the deal they cooked up killed GM. GM could have
taken Chapter 11 last fall, and UAW workers would still have their
jobs, and have them for a long time. At more rational wages.
Instead, UAW gets an ownership piece of GM, which will be valued
at NOTHING. Blame Bush if you want, but the real culprit is
Gettelfinger. Frankly, UAW has gotten their just reward. A cheezy
political payoff has blown up in their face.

Joe
Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by jschindler
Note to self - don't even bother opening this thread again. I'm truly amazed to find some folks even admit to owning a Corvette by participating in this forum.

I've never seen so much hatred for the country we live in, and the companies that we have actually bought cars from.

I think a few of you (and you SHOULD know who you are by your posts) need to get out of this country and start a new life somewhere else. You obviously think that there are better places to live than the USA.

Some people have no clue....
Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Me, I can handle the truth.

It's the tax bill for bush and barry's multitrillion dollar spending that is a bitter pill to swallow.

VC, are you a teacher or professor, I am curious. You have some interesting opinions.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:12 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rule292
Me, I can handle the truth.

It's the tax bill for bush and barry's multitrillion dollar spending that is a bitter pill to swallow.

VC, are you a teacher or professor, I am curious. You have some interesting opinions.
Interesting huh? I am neither, just another out-of-work American who watched his and many other companies get tax advantages while they sent jobs overseas. I also watched for years while we gave billions of unaccounted-for tax dollars to Halliburton, the Iraqis, and a buttload of other countries. You?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Amen!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:47 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Note to you...you didn't open it but I do agree with you on hatred for this country being at an all time high. Very sad.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:35 AM
dgsflorida
Navigator

No more GM cars for me since Obama broke the laws of this nation to reward his union buddies at the UAW and screw the secured bondholders, etc. Pretty sure many of the Chrysler and GM dealers terminated were chosen on a political basis also. If I were a Detroit UAW worker, I'd plan on a new profession as soon as the government handouts slowdown. Have to expect a good percentage of the 46% who DIDN'T VOTE for the man from Kenya might feel the same way. Would definitely buy a nice Vette already manufactured though!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Best post I've read in this entire BS HATE-FEST. Some one on page one actually said that they "didn't like the new owners of GM." Which is stupid since the Government/Taxpayers are the owners.. so he dislikes himself.

My issue with all of this Gov Motors BS is that quite frankly, the administration has said several times that they wouldn't interfere in the day-to-day operations of the company. The lost of Pontiac, Saturn. Hummer, and Saab have been being considered since way back in MAY of 2008.

I Was watching AUTOLINE where BOB Lutz talks about the AUTO TASK FORCE and how they were NOT putting their nose in the design and production aspect of the company's cars. He says as he is leading them thru the design studio towards the "Small cars and small SUVs" they came upon a CTS-V COUPE. Bob tried to move them along, but the Taskforce was WOWED by the CTS-V COUPE.

Point is that we knew about the CTS Coupe coming in 2010.. but the CTS-V Coupe signals that the Vseries program is not totally gone.

The interview with BOB LUTZ give a lot of positive and optimistic information about the "NEW GM".. it goes on with interviews with the BRILLIANT Ed Welburn and Bob Lutz's replacement Tom Stephens.

What's amazing is that some people seem to be the only ones that were polled in that situation. I have talked to many people who absolutely agree that aiding GM and Chrysler was the right thing to do in the interest of saving jobs and two American Icons.

Bottom line is that it shouldn't have even been a question.. Why MORONS believe that a country in the position of the United States should be left with out a truly powerful Auto Industry, relying essentially on the products of other countries is beyond even me.

I am also perplexed as to how it is possible that some constantly have had this hate on GM management for losing billions, yet see Toyota's management as completely competent despite their loss of $8Billion last quarter and continuing decline in sales with not one bit of negative commentary said about them over the last 6 months. GM has consistently been berated by negativity and yet only loss not more than 30% in sales last month.. while Toyota loss almost 40%. Honda didn't do very well either. What's their excuse on that front?

I'm still perplexed as to how GM is living off the Taxpayer when essentially the Taxpayer now owns GM. When GM's Market Cap rises back up substantially (as it is a company that traditionally trades well above $60)I think the "TAXPAYER" is gonna get one hell of a return.

Just outta curiosity what would the TAXPAYER have done with that $20 Billion had it not gone to GM??? I'm of the opinion that it would have gone straight to Iraq.. or Afghan.. or some other nation in form of assistance. What pisses me off is that these effin idiots don't mind that the TAXPAYER paid for IRAQI schools but take issue with them helping their own manufacturing base.

Get notified of new replies

To Will you buy a Corvette from the new GM?

Old 06-14-2009, 03:19 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The UAW was a good thing about 100 years ago, now it's killing good companies.....IMO their time is up, do away with them.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 AM
40idf
Racer

I wrap myself in the flag and declare that boycotting GM is my
patriotic duty. Others who wrap themselves in the flag and
declare that it is our patriotic duty to support the new GM have
it backwards. What has been done to GM is unamerican, and we
should not support it - it is our duty to reject it.

The Bush haters think that anyone who thinks we should boycott
GM is a hater, projecting their own personality on others. Fascists
who demonize their opposition are *****.

Joe
Old 06-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Big Jimm
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 40idf
Here's the truth:

Washington cooked up a deal to save the UAW. Washington is so
incompetent, the deal they cooked up killed GM. GM could have
taken Chapter 11 last fall, and UAW workers would still have their
jobs, and have them for a long time. At more rational wages.
Instead, UAW gets an ownership piece of GM, which will be valued
at NOTHING. Blame Bush if you want, but the real culprit is
Gettelfinger. Frankly, UAW has gotten their just reward. A cheezy
political payoff has blown up in their face.

Joe
Joe is right. If GM had gone through a NORMAL chapter 11 (instead
of the coerced, political, strong-armed, intimidated one) I would have
remained a loyal and dedicated GM fan “forever.”

But, the political, thug take-over by the UAW turns me ice cold toward
this entirely new company .. which has the audacity call itself GM.

Quick Reply: Will you buy a Corvette from the new GM?