C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on flying roof - the news ain't good

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Default Update on flying roof - the news ain't good

As I posted last week, my 2005 coupe's painted roof panel delaminated last Friday as I was driving 70 m.p.h. on the freeway. The outer skin pealed away, became airbourne, and landed on the freeway shoulder. Amazingly, no other vehicles were affected. I immediately contacted Chevrolet customer service; they took down all of the information, created a file, and told me that they'd look into how they were going to handle the situation.

A few relevant facts:
  • My car's original roof panel was replaced under the 2006 "Customer Satisfaction Program". This was done before the "new and improved" panel became available. It was my replacement panel that blew off last week.
  • After my panel was replaced, GM issued a recall for the roof. I did not receive a recall notice.
  • GM says that while my car falls within the VIN range for the recall, my specific car is not on the recall list. No one can explain that one to me. My car was built with only the painted panel, it falls within the VIN range, the original panel was replaced (instead of foam-injected), and the replacement panel failed. Duh?
Although it's now been 6 days since this was reported, no one at GM has told me anything as far as what they're going to do. Customer service has deferred to the regional rep; the dealer has attempted to contact the regional rep but the rep won't return phone calls or e-mails.

I'm running very low on patience. In the mean time, my car sits in the garage with the separated roof panel duct taped to the top just to keep bugs out.

Any suggestions? I want my car back.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are the last 6 digits of your VIN?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There is no GM so how can there be a GM rep. I'm sorry but you're in limbo at the moment. I hope it get's worked out in your favor.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drive your car. The duct tape is stronger than the glue they use.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now's the time to buy the transparent top. When you finally get your painted top replaced by G.M. you can just leave it in the box, because you won't want to use it anymore.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Mike, I'm really sorry this has happened to you. You have a VERY safety related issue here. I would probably call GM back and threaten to get in touch with the NHTSA. They are the agency that deals with safety recalls. Ultimately, I am sure it will be taken care of...but with all the GM stuff going on now, its coming at a bad time!

Good luck,
Chris
Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Now's the time to buy the transparent top. When you finally get your painted top replaced by G.M. you can just leave it in the box, because you won't want to use it anymore.
Hey Mike if you can check out the parts Forum and look for a Trans. top, as stated above you won't regret it, than get back to driving and enjoying the car. Time will be on your side to deal with the recall issue, Sorry for the crap you have to deal with in the meantime, Good Luck, Salt
Old 06-04-2009, 06:03 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone have info on "falls within the VIN range for the recall" specifically what VIN range?
Michael
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree with others. If you can afford it, but a second top and continue fighting GM. I would be very surprised if you don't win this one. GM is still in business and still does have to do the right thing if they expect to survive.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui
There is no GM so how can there be a GM rep. I'm sorry but you're in limbo at the moment. I hope it get's worked out in your favor.
Not true. I talked to the local GM Rep yesterday about my off and on air bag light. His calling me back today.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I'm running very low on patience. In the mean time, my car sits in the garage with the separated roof panel duct taped to the top just to keep bugs out.

Any suggestions? I want my car back.
I understand your frustration and I am not trying to minimize that. I have read your original post, as well as this update.

Venting here and seeking resolution from GM are both reasonable things to do. Weather permitting, you car is drivable without the top on at all, but if you can swing a new top, transparent would be a good choice for long term option. The words I would like to focus on for a moment are " I want my car back." Although you are not driving your car right now, you could be if you took corrective action on your own. In legalese this is known as 'mitigating your damages.' Surprisingly, you are responsible for doing that. So if this carries on the duty and burden is on you to solve the problem.

I'm not saying any of this I the vein of being critical. I'm just trying to share some information with you that might be useful. Not a lawyer here, just a guy who has been in the position to know that sometimes your real world choices are less than ideal.

Wish you the best on a speedy resolution.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Lets face in the whole company is probably in a haze right now. Give them some time to respond before yu get pissed.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

...must be a crack pipe he's smoken in his avatar...
Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Best and quickest way to get your car back on the road! You might check ebay as I've seen some go for 600 to 700 bucks that were almost brand new...........

Last edited by cthusker; 06-04-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I had issues with GM and the dealer when it occured on my 2006. I only had it a month when it flew off. I contacted the NHTSA. I had the guys email address that helped me there, but I can't find it. Call the hotline and tell them that you are having issues with the roof being replaced and that there are still vehicles that were recalled on the road and explain your situation. The guy I talked to called GM and the dealer and I had my new roof within 2 days.
BY PHONE: Call the Hotline, Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at
(888) 327-4236 , TTY: (800) 424-9153.
Here is the NHTSA Info and campaign number

Make: CHEVROLET Model: CORVETTE
Model Year: 2005
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 24, 2006
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V181000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:ROOF AND PILLARS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 30793

Worth a shot it worked for me.
David

Last edited by mcandrew67; 06-04-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Overall, I see a class-action suit in the future...
Best of luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you actually have any idea what Chapter 11 Bankruptcy means? I'll give you a hint....

...It DOESN'T mean there is no GM....

Get notified of new replies

To Update on flying roof - the news ain't good

Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
Overall, I see a class-action suit in the future...
Best of luck!
and I think it's extremely foolish of GM not to immediately take care of customers that have this problem! If you had the replace the tops of very vette made since 05 we're not talking a lot of money in the big picture! Hell GM spent 2.6 million in the first quarter of this year for lobbyists. Why screw around and have folks get so exercised they file a lawsuit or something over this? It's a GM problem straight out! There is no doubt it's their problem 100%!!! So just shut up and get the man a new top or whatever... typical of why GM finds themselves in trouble today.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 AM
holdin5aces
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old thread late in the game

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
I understand your frustration and I am not trying to minimize that. I have read your original post, as well as this update.

Venting here and seeking resolution from GM are both reasonable things to do. Weather permitting, you car is drivable without the top on at all, but if you can swing a new top, transparent would be a good choice for long term option. The words I would like to focus on for a moment are " I want my car back." Although you are not driving your car right now, you could be if you took corrective action on your own. In legalese this is known as 'mitigating your damages.' Surprisingly, you are responsible for doing that. So if this carries on the duty and burden is on you to solve the problem.

I'm not saying any of this I the vein of being critical. I'm just trying to share some information with you that might be useful. Not a lawyer here, just a guy who has been in the position to know that sometimes your real world choices are less than ideal.

Wish you the best on a speedy resolution.
He is responsible to mitigate the damages? Spoken like the two faced legal community. Disparate impact works too. Truth, the roof of a car should last forever. Forget the warranty, the recall, or any other superfulous stuff. If the roof doesn't last forever it wasn't built right and no argument to the contrary works. Drive with no top. Why not just leave the doors open. Maybe buy a big golf umbrellas when it rains unexpectedly. To this poster, you are an imposter.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cthusker
and I think it's extremely foolish of GM not to immediately take care of customers that have this problem! If you had the replace the tops of very vette made since 05 we're not talking a lot of money in the big picture! Hell GM spent 2.6 million in the first quarter of this year for lobbyists. Why screw around and have folks get so exercised they file a lawsuit or something over this? It's a GM problem straight out! There is no doubt it's their problem 100%!!! So just shut up and get the man a new top or whatever... typical of why GM finds themselves in trouble today.
The other issue is what happens when one of these things flies off and severely injures or kills someone in it's flight? GM (and any dealer with a documented lack of response to this issue) would certainly be brought in as a defendant in any wrongful death and that could lead to a massive damage settlement. Not to mention the horrible public relations ramifications they would have to deal with.

Quick Reply: Update on flying roof - the news ain't good