C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on flying roof - the news ain't good

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lander
...must be a crack pipe he's smoken in his avatar...
Damn.

Philieaglesfan said this place was harsh and that forum members had little respect for one another.

But where would this place be without comments like that one above? It would be boring.

Damn man, and you were getting on me and giving me hell the other day about that other guy and now you post this.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-04-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
The other issue is what happens when one of these things flies off and severely injures or kills someone in it's flight? GM (and any dealer with a documented lack of response to this issue) would certainly be brought in as a defendant in any wrongful death and that could lead to a massive damage settlement. Not to mention the horrible public relations ramifications they would have to deal with.
Absolutely correct!

The issue is a recall issue, you'd have to believe that the dealer knows that and the safety implications.

The dealer's thinking in the OP's problem is probably that the roof has already delaminated and no injury or damage has been done so the lawsuit threat has been minimaliazed.

Have to wonder about the dealer though. Are they on the hit list and are not taking on any issues like this that involve reimbursment? Or are they simply playing CYA and not doing it because they fear that in GM's current state they might not get reimbursed for parts and labor in a timely manner?

Sad to say that often $$$$ overrides safety and common sense.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

The other issue is what happens when one of these things flies off and severely injures or kills someone in it's flight? GM (and any dealer with a documented lack of response to this issue) would certainly be brought in as a defendant in any wrongful death and that could lead to a massive damage settlement. Not to mention the horrible public relations ramifications they would have to deal with.
Excellent point!! WTH does GM and/or dealers think about? Apparently nothing!! We're talking well under a grand at OEM cost to get a new top put on! The potential downside is millions in a lawsuit that would be a slam dunk in court. It would be indefensiable after GM already knows and had a factory recall covering 05-07 vette tops! This type of inaction should get people fired..... Just get him a NEW top and be done with it! The hard top has to last for the life of the car end of story so just take care of it before there is a disaster....
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule292
Absolutely correct!

The issue is a recall issue, you'd have to believe that the dealer knows that and the safety implications.

The dealer's thinking in the OP's problem is probably that the roof has already delaminated and no injury or damage has been done so the lawsuit threat has been minimaliazed.

Have to wonder about the dealer though. Are they on the hit list and are not taking on any issues like this that involve reimbursment? Or are they simply playing CYA and not doing it because they fear that in GM's current state they might not get reimbursed for parts and labor in a timely manner?

Sad to say that often $$$$ overrides safety and common sense.
Bottom line, this is a very abnormal situation! Tell me the last time you heard of ANY other car associated with a sharp-edged, flying (at a very high rate of speed, no doubt!) 20 lb hunk of roof structure! Just imagine this hitting a car or motorcyclist coming in the opposite direction!

What this tells me is that ANYONE who has a coupe better make sure they have checked on AND documented that they checked on this issue with their GM dealer. They need to also document what that dealer said.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Damn.

Philieaglesfan said this place was harsh and that forum members had little respect for one another.

But where would this place be without comments like that one above? It would be boring.

Damn man, and you were getting on me and giving me hell the other day about that other guy and now you post this.
The difference is I wasn't being an ***, just being funny since the guy was clearly so far out into left field with his analysis that he must have been kidding.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lander
The difference is I wasn't being an ***, just being funny since the guy was clearly so far out into left field with his analysis that he must have been kidding.
You implied that he must have been smoking crack in order to make a comment such as he did. Some might call that being an ***, and I would tend to agree with them.

You could have just respectfully disagreed with him instead of implying that he was smoking a crack pipe.

Don't you think that would have been a better approach than implying that he must be on crack?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

When this happened to my 06 I bought a new glass roof from Gene and the liner from DSV.

I never looked back or regretted spending $1300 for both parts but the peace of mind was worth every penny. Right now I wouldn't hold my breath on GM responding quickly to this.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Bottom line, this is a very abnormal situation! Tell me the last time you heard of ANY other car associated with a sharp-edged, flying (at a very high rate of speed, no doubt!) 20 lb hunk of roof structure! Just imagine this hitting a car or motorcyclist coming in the opposite direction!
Scary thought.

Bad corporate citizenship by the dealer. I'd move on to another one.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

You implied that he must have been smoking crack in order to make a comment such as he did. Some might call that being an ***, and I would tend to agree with them.

You could have just respectfully disagreed with him instead of implying that he was smoking a crack pipe.

Don't you think that would have been a better approach than implying that he must be on crack?
Get out of here! This isn't a widebody/faux z06 conversion thread.

To the thread starter, keep calling the GM customer service line or Regional Rep if you have his number. The regional rep is going to be your best bet to get this taken care of if your dealer isn't helping. When I had my engine blow at 700 miles in my 02 z06, it was my regional rep that was instrumental in getting GM to buy back my car as opposed to just replacing the motor. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I sympathize with your predicament. After reading your original post I checked on my own situation. My roof panel was 'fixed' under the Customer Satisfaction program on 31 May 2006 receiving the adhesive foam fix (actually, the dealership botched their first attempt so they replaced the roof panel with a non-SMC panel and then performed the adhesive foam fix correctly).

The actual recall commenced on 19 October 2006 and the recall fix could be the adhesive foam fix or replacing the roof panel (presumably with the SMC panel by that time) with one already having adhesive foam.

If they're saying having the roof panel addressed under the Customer Satisfaction program is not the same as having the work done under the recall...wouldn't you then still be eligible to have the work performed under the recall? I had thought safety recalls survive the expiration of the OEM warranty but maybe there's a deadline on having recall work done as well.

Here's a summary of the recall information:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / CORVETTE 2005-2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V181000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN 2005-2006 CHEVROLET CORVETTES EQUIPPED WITH PAINTED ROOFS, THE ADHESIVE BETWEEN THE ROOF PANEL AND THE FRAME MAY SEPARATE.
Consequence:
IF THERE IS A COMPLETE SEPARATION, THE ROOF PANEL MAY DETACH FROM THE VEHICLE AND IT COULD STRIKE ANOTHER VEHICLE AND CAUSE INJURY AND PROPERTY DAMAGE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE FOR POTENTIAL ROOF PANEL-TO- FRAME SEPARATION AND ADD THE SPECIFIED ADHESIVE FOAM OR REPLACE THE ROOF WITH ONE HAVING ADHESIVE FOAM. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 19, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

I may bring this to the attention of my service advisor to see what he can find out. It doesn't seem fair for GM to deny making the repair or replacement at their expense. Whether under the Customer Satisfaction program or the recall the repairs were made in response to an obvious and potentially dangerous defect...one that did elevate to a full blown recall.

If GM does not consider a fix made under the Customer Satisfaction program the same as one made under the recall and if the roof panel separation recall is still in effect (and hasn't expired), I will then ask my dealership to replace (the previously fixed) roof panel under the recall. I'd be curious what they respond to that.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

:slee p:
Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Like Wayne, my `05 was repaired under the customer satisfaction program at the dealership in mid 2005 (9/04 in-service date).

Knock wood -I haven't had a creak or a pop and alternate with the Lexan top in the winter - -solid top in the summer.

I've followed the factual portion of these threads for several years and don't see what might distinguish a repair that works from one that's not sustainable (thinking location, weather variances, etc)

IF there's been litigation resulting from flying roof syndrome, it's evidently rare and kept quiet. Good luck to those affected.

Let's keep the discussion on-point.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
I understand your frustration and I am not trying to minimize that. I have read your original post, as well as this update.

Venting here and seeking resolution from GM are both reasonable things to do. Weather permitting, you car is drivable without the top on at all, but if you can swing a new top, transparent would be a good choice for long term option. The words I would like to focus on for a moment are " I want my car back." Although you are not driving your car right now, you could be if you took corrective action on your own. In legalese this is known as 'mitigating your damages.' Surprisingly, you are responsible for doing that. So if this carries on the duty and burden is on you to solve the problem.

I'm not saying any of this I the vein of being critical. I'm just trying to share some information with you that might be useful. Not a lawyer here, just a guy who has been in the position to know that sometimes your real world choices are less than ideal.

Wish you the best on a speedy resolution.
Great command of the English language for not being a lawyer.

Clif
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

they will order you a new panel...paint it and install it...just make sure they have it ready to go before you drop off your car.

BTDT with my 07 Z06....you cannot even tell it was fixed.

good luck
Old 06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Old 06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Jimbospice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CFM parked his C6 with a duct taped top near the GM tent at Carlise 2-3 years ago. GM exec. didn't like what he was seeing. A replacement clear top quickly appeared for his use until the painted top could be sent to his local dealer.
Must be true, as I read it here.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM
MagnaBob
Instructor

I bought my 06 new in July of that year. Does anyone know when the problem was fixed from a manufacturing standpoint? Is there a way to look up the VIN's of the suspect cars? I never rec'd a recall notice.

Get notified of new replies

To Update on flying roof - the news ain't good

Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
When this happened to my 06 I bought a new glass roof from Gene and the liner from DSV.
Kinda new to the board - could you help me find "Gene" and DSV. Don't have a top problem but I have a clear top and my neighbor wants to know where to get one. Thanks in advance
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gene Culley>> http://www.gmpartshouse.com/

DSV= Down South Vettes http://www.dsvettes.com/new/
Old 06-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Thanks

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette