C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Driver Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tall Driver Mod

Does anyone know if the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal can be adjusted so they are farther back towards the firewall? Would help tremendously with knee steering wheel bumping.

Also, could the telescoping mechanism be adjusted so it starts farther out and travels farther out?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

No to all three. You may be able to modify them but I would worry about the safety issue.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM
racer10
Advanced

I do not know if that would be possible but at 6'2" I would be very interested in knowing if there is a mod. Hope someone has a "fix".
Old 06-02-2009, 01:29 AM
ssraomd
Heel & Toe

Default I would like to know as well.....

This problem prevented me from purchasing the car back in 2007.

This is half the reason I am selling my 2002 BMW 330i.

It is my firm opinion that driver ergonomics are average at best for about 99% of cars manufactured for the US.

If $20,000 Nisaan minivans and $22,000 Dodge Chargers offer adjustable pedals, there is absolutely no reason GM cannot offer this as standard euipment on the Corvette.

I am seriously considering having a shop bend and/or cut all the pedals down to a single, level plane about 2-4 inches closer to the floorboard.

My only suggestion for the steering wheel involves replacing the stock wheel for a racing wheel (Momo, Sparco, etc...) and adding a spacer.
...probably only worthwhile if you don't care for the airbag and can sell it easily.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:33 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm now 6'2 1/2", and used to be 6'4". Shrinking sucks when you start to get older.

I could not fit without my knees hitting the dash and steering wheel in an automatic convertible, and, strangely enough, a Hertz ZHZ automatic coupe. But, I fit perfectly in my ZO6 that I got in January, just like I did in my previous C5 coupe. It's very comfortable with more than enough room for knees/legs, and head, etc. (I did not try sitting in a standard coupe). Is there some leg room difference with an automatic?

I noticed on the ZHZ that there was room to move the seat back past where the stock seat tracks allowed (about 2 1/2 to 3"). You can get the dealer to put seat track extenders to move the seat all the way back.

I don't remember if this was the case with the convertible.

I was bummed out because I never sat in a C6 before selling my C5. When I sat in a ZHZ that a friend had rented, I was thinking I couldn't buy another Vette. Try sitting in a ZO6 to see if it makes any difference to you.

Last edited by beden1; 06-02-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Wilzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I would worry about the safety issue.
That's a great seg into one of the reasons to have the pedals lowered. 6'4" and size 13 feet and have problems with getting right foot off accelerator and on brake - knees hitting steering wheel when down so I can see HUD. I brake with left foot.:o

Thanks SSRAOMD for suggestion about a spacer
Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'5" and have had a C6 convert and now a Z06 and haven't had a problem with the pedals or the steering wheel, do you have telescoping wheel option??? My seat is all the way back and I pull the wheel up, good luck to you...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:46 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

The space you have is a direct function of how the seat is adjusted. I couldn't even drive my 2005 until I tilted the lower seat so the front sticks up and the back is in what feels like a hole. Took some getting used to but now it feels fine and my knees never hit the wheel anymore. (I'm 6'4" BTW) Putting the seat all the way back is not enough, you have to tilt it as well to get the maximum room...
Old 06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Harlequin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beden1
Strangely enough, I could not fit without my knees hitting the dash and steering wheel in an automatic convertible, and, strangely enough, a Hertz ZHZ automatic coupe. But, I fit perfectly in my ZO6 that I got in January
Interesting!
6'2" here, probably closer to 6'4" when driving due to the heels on my boots. I have a manual transmission, and no problem with knees hitting steering wheel. I have the seat right back and low, the steering wheel telescoped out, and height adjusted to best show the gauges.

(My problem is that even though the seat is low, my head is too high up in the car to see traffic lights when stopped at intersections, unless I lean forward and down, peering up)
Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 PM
mgtr
Pro

I am right at 6 feet, and suffer none of the problems mentioned. However, I have a problem with my right leg/hip that is easily fixed if I can get the leg perfectly straight from time to time. I cannot do that in most cars. I tried a bunch (certainly not all) including a Mustang GT which I thought I wanted (silly me!). No good. The Corvette coupe is not problem at all. When I have the cruise on I can put my leg straight between the accelerator and brake pedals.
So, that is why I bought a Corvette. That is my story and I am sticking to it!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only 6ft and don't fit well. I have the bottom of the seat so the front is up and the back is down. Telescoping wheel is all the way out. My right knee is not comfy; the left one when its on the clutch, but most of the time I can stretch it out.
I think mc and auto mfg's think making a vehicle for 5'9" will work for everyone. Nope.
I have felt bad for you taller folks. If cars and mc's don't fit me, I can't imagine how they fit someone 6'1" and up.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM
divitasbluepitbulls
Pro

I weigh over 400 pounds. Is there any mod I can do to be able to shut the door when I get in the car. Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harlequin
Interesting!
6'2" here, probably closer to 6'4" when driving due to the heels on my boots. I have a manual transmission, and no problem with knees hitting steering wheel. I have the seat right back and low, the steering wheel telescoped out, and height adjusted to best show the gauges.

(My problem is that even though the seat is low, my head is too high up in the car to see traffic lights when stopped at intersections, unless I lean forward and down, peering up)
It has to do with how long your legs are, or how tall your torso. In your case, you probably have a tall torso.

Fortunately, I'm very comfortable in my car. My bottom seat position is flat at the lowest position, with the back reclined about 1/3 to a 1/2. I position the steering wheel down lower so I can't see the top of the guages as I just use the HUD. I also have the steering wheel pulled out to the most extended position.

I think it just takes time to play with the settings to find the most comfortable and/or workable position. It's interesting that I have virtually the same positions set for my C6 ZO6 as I did with my C5 and C4.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by divitasbluepitbulls
I weigh over 400 pounds. Is there any mod I can do to be able to shut the door when I get in the car. Thanks
I just straddle the center console. DSV Console Lid, of course.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by divitasbluepitbulls
Weight Watchers.
You're already over the GVRW limit!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 AM
johnn2ilk
Instructor

I know thers's a Mod for cutting your legs down.....WTF..buy a cooper..LOL
Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 AM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

There has to be some way to fab up a seat bracket that sits all the way or just a little closer to the floor. Thats what I need, more head room. Im a long torso guy.

Get notified of new replies

To Tall Driver Mod

Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetStroker
There has to be some way to fab up a seat bracket that sits all the way or just a little closer to the floor. Thats what I need, more head room. Im a long torso guy.
That a difficult one to handle I checked this out and there as low as they can go.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
garymtl
Intermediate

I took a BMW basic driving school. They taught me to sit closer to the steering wheel - not stretched all the way back like I was used to. I am 6'4" and always had seats back to max or near. They taught me that if you put your foot to the floor ( not the accelerator, but the actual floor) you should not be able to fully extend your leg to a lock position - that it should be bent a little. The reasoning is that in a frontal accident your legs will push hard to the floor whether you know it or not. If your legs are straight you will do serious damage to it. If they are slightly bent, you will do less or none- remember the seat belt will hold you.

After having tried and adapted to this seating style, more cars became an option. Try it you may find that mods are not necessary to the seat. For me my Vette seat is NOT all the way to the back. Less fatigue on the arms too.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 AM
mte.smiles
Racer

I'm not sure why there's a problem here. I'm 6'7" with size 14 shoe and have no problems getting into or out of 07 C6 vert or bumping the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Tall Driver Mod