C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-30-2009, 09:06 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Regarding someone damaging your Vette by slicing your top!

Think about it for a moment and decide whether if someone was going to damage your car, which would you rather them do to it?
1. A knife slice in the top: whole top can be replaced for around $1000. Probably one day in shop

2. A knife or key dug deeply down the entire side of your coupe: Probably $2000-3000 plus maybe weeks in the shop.

I would not wish either on anyone but number 1 would be easier to deal with.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:13 PM
OrangeCrush007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal Vert Man
Generlly speaking: The convertible is about $7,000 more, based on MSRP, and as you have already read there is limited visability in the convertible when the top is up.

LOL! I've had 3 Prowlers. Against those, the Vette has INCREDIBLE visability.

Ragtops I think folks are passionate about. You either love them or don't. On a sunny morning or cool evening or driving along the seawall, nothing compares to a vert.

Any toy car I have from Lambo to Viper to Vette HAS TO BE a vert.

If they'd make the darn ZR1 a vert, I'd buy one in a heartbeat (pun intended). I mean, come on, Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche can do it with their best, why can't GM???????
Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
S e a r c h i s y o u r f r i e n d .
This is a topic discussed often...please don't make us go thru this again!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quasar05
Actually...
Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

I had a C5 coupe and the wind noise was distracting with the top off, but the coupe has great storage room for traveling.

I have had many verts over the years and really enjoy the Corvette convertible. There is some wind buffet with the top down at speed and the storage is limited for trips. If you keep the top up on long trips you can store a lot more in the trunk, but only half as much as the coupe.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Hasn't been my experience at all. Sure there is some turbulence but it is minimal IMHO, even at speeds > 60
the turbulence was worse on the C5. I can actually cruise down I-95 with the roof off in my '09 and hold a conversation with my passenger.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The coupe is just that . Its a hassle taking the top off, so you never do it. The vert on the other hand is transfered to open air in a matter of seconds. You do the math buddy.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
The coupe is just that . Its a hassle taking the top off, so you never do it. The vert on the other hand is transfered to open air in a matter of seconds. You do the math buddy.
Nothing wrong with a vert. My very first Vette was a vert ('01 mag red). I totally understand why those that have a vert love them and defend them with passion. Nothing finer than riding with the top down on a sunny day or a warm night. That said, the vert's only drawbacks are space and loss of some aerodynamic efficiency. Not important if the open air experience only a vert can provide is what one is after.

Coupe owners (like myself) would (and always do) argue that roof-off driving is similar to top-down driving and they would have a good position to debate, however, having had a vert, I would have to disagree somewhat.

To the OP: Since you asked the question, you must be willing to pony up the extra coin to buy a vert or you wouldn't ask. The only question you have to ask yourself is how do you plan to use the car?

If you are looking for track time or feel you could use the extra space or plan to DD your Vette, then the coupe might be more practical. If this is going to be a weekend toy, then the vert might be more enjoyable. Can't go wrong either way

BTW, taking the roof off the coupe is not that difficult.

Last edited by Chemdawg99; 05-30-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Nothing wrong with a vert. My very first Vette was a vert ('01 mag red). I totally understand why those that have a vert love them and defend them with passion. Nothing finer than riding with the top down on a sunny day or a warm night. That said, the vert's only drawbacks are space and loss of some aerodynamic efficiency. Not important if the open air experience only a vert can provide is what one is after.

Coupe owners (like myself) would (and always do) argue that roof-off driving is similar to top-down driving and they would have a good position to debate, however, having had a vert, I would have to disagree somewhat.

To the OP: Since you asked the question, you must be willing to pony up the extra coin to buy a vert or you wouldn't ask. The only question you have to ask yourself is how do you plan to use the car?

If you are looking for track time or feel you could use the extra space or plan to DD you Vette, then the coupe might more practical. If this is going to be a weekend toy, then the vert might be more enjoyable. Can't go wrong either way

BTW, taking the roof off the coupe is not that difficult.
This is true, if you cant spring for the vert then its not an issue. You do pay a premium for the vert..

One other issue with the Vette in general.
They all transfer quite a bit of heat into the cabin coupe or vert. The vert addresses this problem.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Vette4Lyfe
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

In my honest opinion, the convertible looks better. The coupe makes it seem like a hatchback kind of, but the convertible is kind of like the C5 Z06 body. It makes the car look longer and driving with the top off has no words to describe it. It feels great to not have to worry about swirls on the roof either because it's cloth, so less time when waxing.. haha. However, the decision is upto you, both coupe and convertible are awesome!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette4Lyfe
In my honest opinion, the convertible looks better. The coupe makes it seem like a hatchback kind of, but the convertible is kind of like the C5 Z06 body. It makes the car look longer and driving with the top off has no words to describe it. It feels great to not have to worry about swirls on the roof either because it's cloth, so less time when waxing.. haha. However, the decision is upto you, both coupe and convertible are awesome!
Yes for sure,
For the extra $$$ the Vette delivers. You get a much quieter car, more exotic, more exclusive, and open air. The coupe however has that wonderfull stubby look.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Quasar05
Old 05-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

My first was a coupe my last eight have BEEN verts does that tell you what side of the fence I am on GOOD LUCK and get the VERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?