C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My Vert has one helluva blind spot with the top up. But that's why it's made to be tucked under the toneau (SP?) cover

I wanted to try a coupe but the wife said I could either get a vert or keep the C5 vert I had. I'm partial to the looks of the vert over the coupe expecially wth mods pics forthcoming.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
swissarmykinfe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coupe with targa top + transparent top = best of both worlds. Open feeling at any outside temperature, even in the winter, or rain. Or, take the top off to let the outside in. It's a no brainer.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I test drove a vert but just didn't like it with the top down. I think it is just something you have to experience and decide for yourself.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Ed 718
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No regrets on getting a coupe and the top off you do get a open air feeling. The one thing that concerns me about vert is vandalism and theft. My neightbor has a vert BMW and in two years of ownership she has got broken into 3 times one time they simply sliced the top for no reason.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
marc2005c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed 718
No regrets on getting a coupe and the top off you do get a open air feeling. The one thing that concerns me about vert is vandalism and theft. My neightbor has a vert BMW and in two years of ownership she has got broken into 3 times one time they simply sliced the top for no reason.
I agree with security and vandalism. In my opinion it is just one of "things" people do, just because it is a cloth vert.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Ed 718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marc2005c6
I agree with security and vandalism. In my opinion it is just one of "things" people do, just because it is a cloth vert.
Yeah it's really sad someone would simply slice a vert top for the hell of it to **** someone off or simply to see what someone has inside the car to steal.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
This tells you everything...the vert is quieter than the coupe in all situations...and it looks better. You can even use this avatar if you do get a vert!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
The coupe does offer twice the storage room as the convertible and is perhaps more rigid (in spite of claims to the contrary) than the convertible, and offers more security, lower maintenance and less leakage problems than the convertible. But lets face it, the convertible is a special vehicle that, although it costs considerably more than the coupe, is great if you live in an area that has warm, balmy nights. Where I live in New England the nights are usually too cool to really enjoy top down driving. Another consideration is that many women folk don't appreciate having their hair blown about so they look unkept.
Same reasons I bought a coupe! Having the extra room for me is pretty important and a vert simply didn't have enough cargo space for my needs.......... Both are great and exactly why GM makes them!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnodrake
If you want to track the car - get a coupe.

I got my 07' vert when I was 28 and my ONLY regret is that I can't track it. In the process of talking to a cage builder for tracking purposes though.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:22 AM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

My first Corvette was a 96 coupe with targa top. My next two were convertibles and any future ones will be convertibles. To me there is nothing more satisfying in driving a car than dropping the top and cruising down the road.
However, when choosing a car that you must use on a daily basis you have to set aside basic desires and rely more on reality. I am retired and only use my vert for pleasure driving. It has been caught in the rain since I live in the rainiest city in America (avr. annual rainfall 67")however, I would never just drive somewhere in my Corvette in the rain.
It is too hard to keep it looking like a brand new car if I drive it in the rain. I guess there is a certain amount of laziness involved here (on my part).
Since you are a medical student and will parking in hot parking lots in public places like hospitals and colleges you will probably be better served with a coupe. Sometimes you have to use logic and make certain sacrifices in order to reap other benefits. I just sold my perfectly good '02 MY vert six speed because by bad left knee prevented me from driving it as much as I wanted to. In early 2008 I bought a 2005 C-6 convertible with automatic transmission to replace the '02 six speed. It didn't take me very long to remember why I sold my first Vette. Yes, it was an automatic and that was my primary reason to move on and buy something I desired more.
After my left knee continued to get more and more irritated each time I drove the six speed I finally accepted the fact that it is better to have a Corvette with automatic that I can enjoy driving than to have a six speed Corvette that I could only look at in my garage rather than drive it.
Bottom line is: unless I had a safe secure place to park my Corvette day and night I would continue to drive a coupe even though I really wanted a vert. All Corvettes are good, it's just that some are in fact better. Later when you are firmly established in your practice you will be able to afford a nice home with plenty of garage space to store your "toys" and you can then own and enjoy a Corvette convertible during nice weather.
That is "of course", a decision you must make for yourself.

Sanford in Saraland, AL.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

I have had both and love both. The coupe with the top down reminds me of the vert I traded it in for and surprised at how much open air the coupe provides. Both look great. It's a toss up and what you prefer is totally up to you.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I now have a 08 Convertible....my first Vette was a 02 Coupe. I prefer the Convertible. I have owned 3 other convertibles before this one. You either are a Convertible fan or you're not. IMO the Corvette experience is better in a VERT.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I would bet that if you were to take the top off of a coupe and store it in its holders in the back, you might have less cargo space than a convertible with the top down. I can put two golf bags in my trunk with the top down....is there room for those two golf bags in a coupe with the roof panel in there?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

No right or wrong on this one, you really have to drive both and decide for yourself. I myself like the Coupe and like removing the top, wind does seem to be an issue. As for the Vert I like the looks with the top down but very few color combinations in my opinion look as good as a coupe with the top up.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I want one of each (tho I can't afford both)! I do get the itch to track my car but can't because it is a vert.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:03 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I've owned 3 vettes...the first 2 were verts and my '08 is a coupe. I'm very **** about appearance and I got where I didn't like the creases that show in the convertible top after use. The canvas tops are a pain to keep clean. I reluctantly bought the coupe (Callaway) but now I would never go back to the vert. I found that I can have the same open air experience with the coupe without the maintenance headaches associated with the canvas top. Just my .02.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
C6Buddy
Racer

I love to drive my coupe around town with the top off but on the highway there is no way I could make a 3 hour or more trip. I tried last summer and made it about 60 miles at 65mph before I had to pull over and put the top back on. I also had a headache the rest of the way home lol. Granted, my parents used to own an old firebird convertible and it was not a problem. You could drive across the country with that thing without a problem. I'm not sure why this is? I'm guessing you just get too much air circulating back in the car with the coupe. I did hear that some guys have driven around with the rear trunck lid cracked and that worked like a charm. I even think there is an expander latch or something you can get for the trunk lid???

Last edited by C6Buddy; 05-29-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Fastcar
Racer

I think a lot has to do with where you will do most of your driving and where you live.. If you are one who stays within a couple of hundred miles of home and it isn't blistering hot go with the vert imo. But if it's hot and you do some serious miles I'd suggest the coupe.

But it is going to be your car, get what you want, Not what we suggest, your paying for it not us.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM
obone
Racer

I love the convertible that I now own, but I live in the south and can drive with the top down almost year round.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Z06...the only turbulence is at the rear wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?