C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 AM
STEAK n CHIPS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F55 Owners

Q: When i switch from tour to sport should anything come up in the dash to let you know which one your in?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 AM
luckyj
Racer

Originally Posted by STEAK n CHIPS
Q: When i switch from tour to sport should anything come up in the dash to let you know which one your in?
No.

Jim
Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
mcwire
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-- ---------------- --
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 AM
statguy
Instructor

No display, but you should be able to feel the difference,
especially on rough roads.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM
takeman
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

I could not really tell a difference..I had to have the dealer check to make sure it was working
Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I would think that might be an easy mod for some forum electronics expert to do. I'd love to have a very small light that showed which mode the switch was in. If it was something that didn't require a lot of work I'd like to do it myself....

Last edited by cthusker; 05-18-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
STEAK n CHIPS
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys for your input
Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

The more you drive it the better you'll be able to discern what mode it is in. As others stated, it's easiest on bumpy pavement but eventually you'll be able to tell even on normal roads. My wife and I have done tests where the passenger closes their eyes and tells the driver when the mode changes. Both of us are usually able to identify the change.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
MID LYPH
Instructor

Default F55

The only indicator is the small mark on the dial. More importantly however is your understanding that all the change does is affect how quickly the shocks change from soft to firm. The setting has no affect on the actual limits at the soft or hard end of the scale, only the speed with which firmness is added. If you are not on a rough road surface or cornering very hard you will not notice any difference at all. So many people think incorrectly that the reason for getting F55 is the two different settings giving you a choice of soft ride or a firm ride, it's not. The reason for F55 is the incredibly quick adjustments the shocks can make from soft to firm and back to soft to maintain tire contact with the road surface. No old school stiff suspension can touch this ability to maintain the contact patch except on a perfectly smooth surface. This is technology helping the automotive enthusiast at it's finest. There is a good reason why Chevrolet decided to put this system in the ZR1 (And why it is licenced to Ferrari and Audi for some of their top cars).
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by statguy
No display, but you should be able to feel the difference,
especially on rough roads.

And if you cannot feel the difference make a appt with your doctor ASAP.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I would think that might be an easy mod for some forum electronics expert to do. I'd love to have a very small light that showed which mode the switch was in. If it was something that didn't require a lot of work I'd like to do it myself....
Can't you just look down at the switch?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by jabez
Can't you just look down at the switch?
No need to look...you can feel which direction the switch is facing.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
No need to look...you can feel which direction the switch is facing.
Yes that's what I do now. However I think it would be cool to have some sort of visual signal.... not really necessary but something I'd like to do.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Harlequin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, you're probably right - it should be an easy mod. (I might look into it, as it could tie in nicely with something else I've been thinking of doing.)

I've had a few times when I've been at low speed on smooth roads, so I've been able to forget that I switched into tour earlier, then blithely take a hard corner and get a bit of a surprise! :-)
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by takeman
I could not really tell a difference..I had to have the dealer check to make sure it was working
What I notice about going from TOUR to SPORT is twofold:

1) The car feels tighter (yea I know - a very subjective thing)

2) The steering effort seems to be significantly lower through a curve. It's almost as if under steer becomes more neutral. And the car feels lighter through the curves as well (see 1 above). I do have 325 rears so I would expect a bit anyway

Bumps? Not too much a difference but I don't have RF tires so that may account for that anyway.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by takeman
The difference between tour and sport modes is not in the firmness of the ride per se...sport mode 'accentuates' wheel control more than anything.

This is a direct quote from Darin Dellinger, one of the lead Delphi engineer's responsible for the F55 system:

"...In the "tour" position, the MR controller emphasizes the sky hook algorithm when setting shocks and when set in "sport", it emphasizes wheel control."

The system reacts to inputs received and differences perceived between modes can be subtle. Actually, many system engineer's argued against having any user input (no tour or sport settings). The system could be setup to do it all but marketing execs prevailed.

The best way to notice the difference between tour and sport modes is to do comparative slalom tests. In a safe setting start off slowly and rapidly turn the steering wheel from side to side (as if running a slalom course). Gradually increase speed as you go (don't crash or get pulled over). Try the same in both modes. You should notice the steering or handling 'tighten' more in sport mode.

If anyone would like some great information about the development of he F55 suspension in the Corvette PM me your email address...I'll be glad to send it to you (actually several articles about the MR suspension).
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by C-INRED
The more you drive it the better you'll be able to discern what mode it is in. As others stated, it's easiest on bumpy pavement but eventually you'll be able to tell even on normal roads. My wife and I have done tests where the passenger closes their eyes and tells the driver when the mode changes. Both of us are usually able to identify the change.
Simple. Just buy Z51 and your wife can keep her eyes open.

Not mention you got all the performance ALL the time!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
You should notice the steering or handling 'tighten' more in sport mode.

I'm glad to see someone finally say this because I've never seen it mentioned before and,..
it's the first thing I notice when I put mine into Sport Mode.
The steering wheel instantly tightens up
Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The difference between tour and sport modes is not in the firmness of the ride per se...sport mode 'accentuates' wheel control more than anything.

This is a direct quote from Darin Dellinger, one of the lead Delphi engineer's responsible for the F55 system:

"...In the "tour" position, the MR controller emphasizes the sky hook algorithm when setting shocks and when set in "sport", it emphasizes wheel control."

The system reacts to inputs received and differences perceived between modes can be subtle. Actually, many system engineer's argued against having any user input (no tour or sport settings). The system could be setup to do it all but marketing execs prevailed.

The best way to notice the difference between tour and sport modes is to do comparative slalom tests. In a safe setting start off slowly and rapidly turn the steering wheel from side to side (as if running a slalom course). Gradually increase speed as you go (don't crash or get pulled over). Try the same in both modes. You should notice the steering or handling 'tighten' more in sport mode.

If anyone would like some great information about the development of he F55 suspension in the Corvette PM me your email address...I'll be glad to send it to you (actually several articles about the MR suspension).

Basically the same recommendation, but moving safely down a road at 50+ MPH, move the steering wheel quickly, back and forth. (Swaying, side to side...) In the base setting notice the alternating deep dips in the front fenders. Switch to the sport mode and follow the same exercise. You will notice that the fenders remain almost flat. That means the F55 is working!

Not my original idea. Read it on this forum a long time ago.

Get notified of new replies

To F55 Owners

Quick Reply: F55 Owners