C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam DIY improvement and fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:21 PM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Vararam DIY improvement and fix

DIY Vararam Improvement.

Product Vararam VR-SC1 Gen2 Snakecharger:

I bought this intake one week ago from kentucky-speed.com. Bobby was great to deal with and has A+ costumer service.

I installed the system into my 2006 C6. The install went smoothly. I did notice the middle sides of the top half of the intake was bowed out a bit. You could see a small gap between the filter and the sides of the intake.

The intake came with a sponge like strip of foam that had a peal back sticky side to it. The green filter is squeezed in-between two of these foam strips. One on top of the filter and one below it.

After seeing multiple posts about the strips adhesive giving out and causing the foam to dislodge and move around causing debris to enter the engine, I decided to take mine apart and take a look. Mind you this has only been installed on my car for about 100 miles. Here is one such post. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...oing-back.html

To my surprise the adhesive had already started to get hot and melt.

Not wanting to give up on this intake I decided to try to fix this situation. (Click on any picture for a large image.)

1. First you want to take the foam strip off your Vararam. There are two rectangular pieces of foam. One on the lower part of the intake and one right under where the green filter sits. Be careful not to rip it. If your Vararam is older the adhesive will probably already be dead and the foam strip will be easy to remove.

2. Now you want to peel off the clear glue strip adhesive that was attached to the foam. Your might be a brown color by now. Take your time.

3. Take a strong water tight glue and generously apply it to the intake. Top and bottom. See picture.

4. Place the foam back on the intake and make sure it’s all the way to the corners.

5. Let it dry overnight

6. I noticed the center part of the filter wasn’t getting enough pressure to seal it correctly against the foam. I bought some of this great Moleskin Felt from Tint Protector http://www.tintprotector.com/strips and placed it on top of the foam in the center to give it more pressure to seal. The Moleskin felt has an acrylic adhesive that won’t break down and melt in the heat or when it gets wet.

7. When installing the Moleskin, fold it down the outside of the bottom part of the intake. This will make the moleskin seal the bowing gap in the Vararam.

8. Put the Vararam together taking your time and making sure everything is placed where it should be. The lower half of the intake fits into the upper part. Now that the moleskin is installed, it will make the fit tighter and help push the green filter harder against the foam that you just glued in.

9. When you install the Vararam into the car, make sure there are no leaks where the top part of the intake fits into the rubber silicone hose that attaches to the mass airflow sensor. I had to shave the corner of mine down a bit and then seal it with some of the glue once the hose was attached and tightened down. (See Picture)

10. Seal it all back up together and you will sleep better at night.

Last edited by FLC6; 05-17-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice DYI fix!

IMHO, and not to be ungrateful of your sharing the DYI fix, but,.....it costs a few hundred bucks to begin with and you have to spend a few days fixing/correcting the product?

Last edited by RadarP3C; 05-17-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:51 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll look into that.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:03 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job. Personally I think you should not have to do that.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by danl72
Old 05-17-2009, 02:14 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
Nice DYI fix!

But,.....it costs a few hundred bucks to begin with and you have to spend a few days fixing/correcting the product?
That's a nice fix but WTH? For that kind of money why can't that thing be made right to start with?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:07 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must have a newer design, as my bottom piece overlaps the top piece

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 05-17-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: .....because I can't type to save my arse.......
Old 05-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

To bad Vararam doesn't correct the problem. I like the DIY idea though, after all the product does make more power. This way it is safer to use. I am still looking into what I need to do. Good idea.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:35 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLC6
DIY Vararam Improvement.
Product Vararam VR-SC1 Gen2 Snakecharger:
I bought this intake one week ago from kentucky-speed.com. Bobby was great to deal with and has A+ costumer service.
IMHO, and not to be ungrateful of your sharing the DYI fix, but,.....it costs a few hundred bucks to begin with and you have to spend a few days fixing/correcting the product?

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
I much have a newer design, am my bottom piece overlaps the top piece
If he bought a week ago, and you have a newer design, how come they have not initiated a recall of the defective product and dealt with the issue before a consumer trashes his engine with the product that has an issue? (ie..You have an updated design. So there must be something wrong with the design that FLC6 has)
Old 05-17-2009, 05:37 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cthusker
That's a nice fix but WTH? For that kind of money why can't that thing be made right to start with?
I agree 200%.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
FLC6
Drifting

jrhawk,

Are you sure you have a different design? I JUST bought this unit and it shipped directly from Vararam. It's the Gen2 with the thicker plastic.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know......maybe mines the older design then....lol It seems to look a bit different though. Maybe it's just the pictures making it look like it's different.

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 05-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't know......maybe mines the older design then....lol It seems to look a bit different though. Maybe it's just the pictures making it look like it's different.
Ls 2 units are different then the LS3 units.Maybe that's why?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by cthusker
I am absolutely amazed anyone would still buy one of these. Vararam themselves have been on this forum and have seen all these problems, yet it seems they haven't even changed the type of adhesive used to seal the gaskets. A one week old brand new unit is having these problems. Yet people keep buying them, basically supporting this. Unreal.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd buy that piece of plastic for 100 bucks and then do the fixup mods. For 400 bucks, no way. Extra power is great, but not at the cost of the part not doing it's job better than the factory airbox, and that is filtering particles from getting to the engine.

There is a reason the stock airbox is setup the way it is.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by danl72
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM
BuBbABFP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine installed just fine a couple weeks ago. None the less great write up!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
FLC6
Drifting

cheers
Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice DYI fix!

Yep. I made a big stink about this last week and got flammed on for being inflammatory. I think its total that you have to mod an intake you just spent 400 bucks on just to make it perform how it was supposedly designed to.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam DIY improvement and fix

Quick Reply: Vararam DIY improvement and fix