C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed an NPP/Z06 Mild Adjustable Control Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installed an NPP/Z06 Mild Adjustable Control Kit

I installed the NakidParts NPP/Z06 Mild Adjustable Control kit Link and now I have the best of both worlds. Flaps all the way open with the M2W switch, or flaps barely open in the mild (normally closed ) position. It took about 10 minutes to install the clamps.

You can see one of the clamps in the picture below, which only allows the flap in that exhaust pipe to close down to about 1/6th open. I know it doesn't sound like that can make much difference, but it does.

The exhaust sounds great all the time now in the mild mode...a bit louder and deeper than stock (flaps completely closed). And when I want it really loud, I hit the M2W switch.

I tried a number of lock down positions to get different variations of loudness. It didn't take long to find the sweet spot for my taste.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a better camera angle showing the actuator clamp and it's location on the NPP exhaust system.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I posted this a few months ago, but am so pleased with the results, I had to post again. The Mild2Wild switch is great for wide open, but for those of you with NPP who want just a tad bit wilder sound when the flaps are closed, this is a great solution. It's adjustable to just the right sound.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Velocity2008
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered mine 5 minutes ago.

I have a complete 07 ZO6 exhaust system on my 08 LS3 coup and I love it. Especially now that I had the ZO6 muffler mod done. However, this little clamp will allow it to stay open say 1/4 way and that's going to sound soooo good.

Thanks, Dewman
Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 PM
0SonOfDreams
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 07-25-2009, 04:43 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RRVettes
I posted this a few months ago, but am so pleased with the results, I had to post again. The Mild2Wild switch is great for wide open, but for those of you with NPP who want just a tad bit wilder sound when the flaps are closed, this is a great solution. It's adjustable to just the right sound.
Thinking about these myself. Can you install these w/o dropping the mufflers?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NYC6
Yes, nothing is removed. You just add the clamps shown in the picture and tighten two Allen screws per clamp with the long Allen wrench supplied in the kit. This process takes about 10 minutes.

Then start the car and drive it around a bit to see if you like the sound. If not, make adjustments in the clamp position for either louder or softer sound until you get it just right. It's amazing.

As a kid, did you ever attach playing cards with a clothes-pin to a bicycle so the spokes make a loud sound when you ride? It's that easy.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:16 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Great product.

I totally agree, I installed my clamps last year to enhance my M2W, the improvement in the mild version sound is unbelievable. For me leaving the M2W in wild was too loud, and in mild not loud enough. This is the perfect simple and easy install solution at a very low price! Great product for anyone that has the NPP from a very satisfied customer!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Jasc
Intermediate

Installed mine yesterday...and I love it! Have been playing with the adjustment to get it just like I like it. Found that about between 1/4 and 1/8 open is perfect for me.

Steve
Old 07-25-2009, 08:15 PM
0SonOfDreams
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NYC6
Very simple install

The kit comes with 2 custom stainless collars and one extended length Allen wrench. Installation is very simple and fool proof. Can be removed anytime.

1. Remove one allen screw and loosen the other all the way
2. Slip the collar over the actuator rod
3. Align the open screw hole
4. Install the other Allen screw using the provided tool
5. Set the position and tighten both screws
6. Loosen the screws to readjust anytime

The results are amazing I set them to be ¼” open,. Closed at idle you can just tell it’s not the stock exhaust as it has a nice enhanced exhaust tone. The real difference is on the road. Now in the closed setting, the exhaust has a mild but noticeable exhaust note.

Just louder than stock, but not the loud open pipe sound of the system in the full open position. When under moderate acceleration, you now hear the exhaust and any burble or popping is greatly reduced.

Setting it to 3/4” open you can even get some additional sound before it opens over 3000-3500 RPM. I believe this coupled with my Mild2Wild wireless controller give you the best of both worlds. And for those that don’t like the open sound below 3000 RPM, this offers the option of some added sound at idle, and above.

This will not damage the NPP/Z06 actuators since they are closed on vacuum, this kit just makes them stop a little earlier.

The first batch of kits are sold out and more are being built order now for delivery in 5-7 days.

ORDER LINK

Member modshack has done work in this field and commend him for his efforts.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

So how loud is a set of stock zo6 mufflers in open mode with headers?

also thinking i should do the muffler mod before i put them on, but to me thats the same thnig as strait pipes, and is going to be TOO nasty with headers and off road X.

and last question, your mild mod (little clamps to keep the valves open a little) does this sound like an exhaust leak? or can you hear anything othert han the sound just get a little more and more the more you keep them open?

Thanks, also do you offer a mild 2 wild control in a box? i am putting this on a 06 ls2

Get notified of new replies

To Installed an NPP/Z06 Mild Adjustable Control Kit

Quick Reply: Installed an NPP/Z06 Mild Adjustable Control Kit