C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Voltage at Startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Special K 98 TA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Voltage at Startup

I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen a similar problem I started having. At startup my DIC will read 11.2~11.7 volts while I rest at Idle. Of course my "Service Charging System" then flashes. But then when I begin driving the voltage jumps up to 13.5 ~ 14.0 volts on the DIC. While driving it will read 14.0 steady on the DIC and when I sit at a stop and idle it will drop and jump all over the place (anywhere from 12.8~13.8), but doesn't ever get as low as it does on initial startup.

My major concern is why it is reading so low on the DIC at startup, anyone else ever seen this problem?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Special K 98 TA
I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen a similar problem I started having. At startup my DIC will read 11.2~11.7 volts while I rest at Idle. Of course my "Service Charging System" then flashes. But then when I begin driving the voltage jumps up to 13.5 ~ 14.0 volts on the DIC. While driving it will read 14.0 steady on the DIC and when I sit at a stop and idle it will drop and jump all over the place (anywhere from 12.8~13.8), but doesn't ever get as low as it does on initial startup.

My major concern is why it is reading so low on the DIC at startup, anyone else ever seen this problem?

Thanks
If the voltage is ever less then 12.6 while the engine is running (and you verify that with a volt meter) then your charging system is having issues. More then likely from your desciption your alternator is an issue. Double check your belt slipping as well (doubt it or you would hear some funny noises). Paul
Old 05-10-2009, 02:59 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I have not heard nor eperienced this problem. Without knowing the year of your Vette or the age of your battery it is difficult to offer much other than to have the dealer check it out.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Special K 98 TA
Instructor

It's a 2005. I checked the voltage at the battery and at the alternator with the car off it reads normal (12.5 volts). When I first start the car the DIC will read 11 volts right after start-up, then it goes up after sometimes 30 seconds sometimes a few minutes. I haven't had a second set of hands at my house yet to start the car while I sit with the voltmeter under the hood. I'm curious what it will read under the hood with the voltmeter right at startup. Ever since the problem started it's began to struggle a bit at startup, idle dropping etc.

And I do have a Cam and Underdrive pulley, but before everyone starts blaming that, I've had those for awhile and this is a new issue.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
reality1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Special K 98 TA
It's a 2005. I checked the voltage at the battery and at the alternator with the car off it reads normal (12.5 volts). When I first start the car the DIC will read 11 volts right after start-up, then it goes up after sometimes 30 seconds sometimes a few minutes. I haven't had a second set of hands at my house yet to start the car while I sit with the voltmeter under the hood. I'm curious what it will read under the hood with the voltmeter right at startup. Ever since the problem started it's began to struggle a bit at startup, idle dropping etc.

And I do have a Cam and Underdrive pulley, but before everyone starts blaming that, I've had those for awhile and this is a new issue.
I think your idle problem relays to the Voltage...computer gets reset and needs to relearn...can be bad if you have a chip. I have a charger that desulfates the battery...almost always takes as much time as to charge....it sounds like starting just about takes all your battery has.

Jim
Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If the under-drive pulley affects the speed of the alternator, then it's most likely due to the under-drive pulley. Some people with tuners change the calibration for the error message to a lower "trip" voltage, and some just turn the feature off altogether.

Does anyone know how much HP is gained by going to an under-drive pulley? I've see a lot of complaints from people with them that complain about system voltage.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Voltage at Startup

Quick Reply: Low Voltage at Startup