C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 AM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Oil leak

I took my car to Three Way Chevrolet in Bakersfield for an oil change and I'm told I have an oil leak. I go down and take a look and it could be from the rear main seal, or perhaps they didn't properly tighten the filter during the last oil change. I have an extended warranty and went to speak with a service writer I've known for fifteen years to make an appointment. He told me they no longer make appointments and service is on a first come first serve basis. He told me my car would be there for around three days before they would get to it. I asked if they did away with appointments because business was so slow and he replied, "No, it just works out better that way." I said it may work better for you guys, but it sure doesn't for the customer. I personally don't want my car sitting out back for three days. That's just me. Nevertheless, I'm just wondering what knucklehead sitting in a meeting one day said, hey I know what we can do. Let's get rid of service appointments for customers and make it more inconvenient for them, especially when our business is already suffering and we have had to lay off 200 people. I told the service writer that I would go to Richland Chevrolet which is in the next town. When GM starts shuttering the smaller dealerships we will be stuck with what is left. Unfortunately, I'm going to be stuck with this dealership since it is the largest in the area.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 78PC
I took my car to Three Way Chevrolet in Bakersfield for an oil change and I'm told I have an oil leak. I go down and take a look and it could be from the rear main seal, or perhaps they didn't properly tighten the filter during the last oil change. I have an extended warranty and went to speak with a service writer I've known for fifteen years to make an appointment. He told me they no longer make appointments and service is on a first come first serve basis. He told me my car would be there for around three days before they would get to it. I asked if they did away with appointments because business was so slow and he replied, "No, it just works out better that way." I said it may work better for you guys, but it sure doesn't for the customer. I personally don't want my car sitting out back for three days. That's just me. Nevertheless, I'm just wondering what knucklehead sitting in a meeting one day said, hey I know what we can do. Let's get rid of service appointments for customers and make it more inconvenient for them, especially when our business is already suffering and we have had to lay off 200 people. I told the service writer that I would go to Richland Chevrolet which is in the next town. When GM starts shuttering the smaller dealerships we will be stuck with what is left. Unfortunately, I'm going to be stuck with this dealership since it is the largest in the area.

I agree with you. Drop it off and we'll get to it when we get to it is not my kind of place either . Move on down the road........
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 AM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go to another dealer also. i am fortunate to have a good service department at my local dealership.......
Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

The dealership I used to go to for service took appointments, but I don't think it really made a difference how quickly my Vette was repaired. If it took overnight, GM picked up the cost of the rental.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:00 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

My local dealers (Chev & Cad) don't take appointments anymore either. I think it is due to the many no-shows and the PITA customers that ruined the system.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

I am able to make appointments at two local dealers and it works out good, unless the repair is really involved then I have to leave it, but I recently was there for only one hour for a repair.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If we are willing to accept leaving the car and them doing the work when they get around to it, they should be willing to accept sending us home with the bill and we pay when we get around to it.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

It appears this approach is being used a lot more these days especially by the larger dealers. One thing to watch out for is that some are giving you an appointment but it is really just a time to drop your vehicle off for them to write it up. I had this happen and found out the vehicle remained "out back" for two days before it went into the shop. I've learned to ask how long it will be before it rolls into the shop now.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

I dropped my car off a while back for the leak and they wanted me to drive it for 500 miles and bring it back. When I stopped to pick it up I found it setting where every one that comes and goes parks. When I brought it back I told them not to do that again and he wrote instructions on the key tag. We will see when I pick it up.

By the way it leaked before and they replaced the oil pan gasket and that did not fix it. This time they told me over the phone they saw some drip around the starter and there is a bulletin about some machining problem somewhere and it requires removing the tranny and rear. I Will show up on Monday to get the full story it is hard to get it all over the phone. I am going to insist on a 4 wheel alignment as well.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If we are willing to accept leaving the car and them doing the work when they get around to it, they should be willing to accept sending us home with the bill and we pay when we get around to it.
Amazing that a dealership with that kind of service has any cars to service! Who would go for that idea?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My dealer has been first come first served for at least 40 years. I didn't realize any domestic dealer operated any other way. I did know some fancy foreign car dealers, who thought they were doctors or something, required appointments, but I've never had to deal with any of that nonsense at a Chevrolet dealer. Just bring the car in and drop it off, come back and get it when the repairs are completed. Simple. No hassles.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ch47d1sg
I would go to another dealer also. i am fortunate to have a good service department at my local dealership.......
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

What a wonderful system! Just drop off your car and when they get around to it they'll attempt to fix it? WOW... that is so impressive! What a great business model. Perhaps doctors and dentists need to adopt that one too! I don't care if I had to drive 100 miles but I wouldn't do business with a dealership that doesn't schedule appointments. So if they happen to have 10 cars waiting for repairs you're supposed to get in line and hope for the best? Simply not acceptable......

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak

Quick Reply: Oil leak