C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO-6 Crash Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default ZO-6 Crash Update

A couple of weeks ago I posted of my nephews roll over accident at 37 mph ..it was witnessed by several people and was stated that his rear wheel locked up ,I stated passenger but it was driver side ..
Entering a ramp but was in a straight line ..Wheel locked ..power was transfered to the passenger wheel and engine revved ..spinning him instantly 180 degrees..tire caught sidewalk ..rolled three times down embankment ..
Insurance has come up with $45,000..in damage ..but when they hooked the battery back up to check some other items ..this is what came up on the screen ...
Guess it might be a clue ....

P.S. Having trouble uploading ...picture says

SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM .....

Last edited by juiceman03070; 05-06-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by juiceman03070
A couple of weeks ago I posted of my nephews roll over accident at 37 mph ..it was witnessed by several people and was stated that his rear wheel locked up ,I stated passenger but it was driver side ..
Entering a ramp but was in a straight line ..Wheel locked ..power was transfered to the passenger wheel and engine revved ..spinning him instantly 180 degrees..tire caught sidewalk ..rolled three times down embankment ..
Insurance has come up with $45,000..in damage ..but when they hooked the battery back up to check some other items ..this is what came up on the screen ...
Guess it might be a clue ....
What came up on the screen? That the wheel locked and the engine rev'd, or did you mean to attach an image or link to the post?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

45K warranty claim.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING is that big of a deal. That most likely came on as the car was flipping.

It is a crappy deal but you he had insurance and that is what it is for as long as he is okay thats all that matters.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The difficulty with that message is, it doesn't tell you if the message came up before, or after the accident.* And if before, some wiseguy could claim the advice wasn't followed, was ignored, and put off for later. Still, the damage is substantial and I'm glad he's ok, as well as others that might have been affected had this been ON the highway at highway speeds.

*someone tell me if I'm wrong on this.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The condititon that caused the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING message to be displayed could have existed just prior to the accident and may have been a factor that caused it, or the condition could be a result of the damage caused by the accident.

Without knowing what and when the condition occoured within the timeline, it's going to difficult to say if the message was a cause or an effect of the accident.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Why dont someone have the "black box" pulled and have it checked ??? Maybe some information there if your thinking defect caused this accident........
Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett
Why dont someone have the "black box" pulled and have it checked ??? Maybe some information there if your thinking defect caused this accident........
well, that could reveal some items they might not want to see . if you know what i mean .
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
ian cote
Heel & Toe

forensic accident investigator working on this problem for me as you all speak.no air bag deployment so no "written"accident program recorded however secondary "bump" sensor definately went off but only records if brakes were applied (duh) throttle position and fore/aft G forces but again car went into immediate 4 wheel slide and according to accident investigator no G forces would be recorded.service active handling went off one sec before grinding /squeeling noise came from back of car and then hung a hard right into a 4 wheel slide.accelerator never came on as stated above,full brake and clutch depressed fully,steering wheel correctivly turned opposite way with much steering effort (felt like no assistance) and engine was still running.thought all info was lost cause i disconnected the battery when car was returned to my shop but lucky for me it wasint.good news is i was not hurt not even muscle soreness no one else was hurt ill see my sons 2nd birthday in a few weeks and ill get another z06.btw what a safe car to have a accident of this magnitude in i and others are very impressed
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
well, that could reveal some items they might not want to see . if you know what i mean .
That's true.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ian cote
forensic accident investigator working on this problem for me as you all speak.no air bag deployment so no "written"accident program recorded however secondary "bump" sensor definately went off but only records if brakes were applied (duh) throttle position and fore/aft G forces but again car went into immediate 4 wheel slide and according to accident investigator no G forces would be recorded.service active handling went off one sec before grinding /squeeling noise came from back of car and then hung a hard right into a 4 wheel slide.accelerator never came on as stated above,full brake and clutch depressed fully,steering wheel correctivly turned opposite way with much steering effort (felt like no assistance) and engine was still running.thought all info was lost cause i disconnected the battery when car was returned to my shop but lucky for me it wasint.good news is i was not hurt not even muscle soreness no one else was hurt ill see my sons 2nd birthday in a few weeks and ill get another z06.btw what a safe car to have a accident of this magnitude in i and others are very impressed
So what's your opinion on exactly what caused the accident? As I read this it appears there is no logical explanation for the cars handling EXCEPT something went wrong with the AHS?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Boy, that's one f* long sentence!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM
ian cote
Heel & Toe

jimmie jam/danl72 I do know what you mean,however i have nothing to hide and ponied up the $1000 dollars for the accident investigator.as an accomplished super street car shoot out drag racer since the early 90s and racing scca american sedan nationally since 2003 as the wrench for northeast division champs every year since with no less than a 5th place finish @the runnoffs i know my way around the suspension and handling charecteristics of cars and also know better than to be racing around the streets thats what they make race tracks for and track day and driving schools for (which ive participated in) as for what i think happened the best description is that the car was doing what it wanted to do and any input that i was giving it the car wanted nothing to do with it.in closing ill leave it to the experts to figure it out,that what they get paid for
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett
I suspect the insurance company WILL have that info pulled before they pay a dime.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
ian cote
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
I suspect the insurance company WILL have that info pulled before they pay a dime.
actually insurance co is not interested in the info believe it or not
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

actually insurance co is not interested in the info believe it or not
That doesn't surprise me terribly. Since it was a single vehicle accident, they're going to assign the driver the responsibility regardless of any outside factors.

Even though it appears the car actually failed causing the wreck, you're the insured so you're the one that will take the ding for the claim. Sux...not fair, but I'd guess that's how they'll do it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Snake Slayer
Safety Car

Received 520 Likes on 199 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by lander
That doesn't surprise me terribly. Since it was a single vehicle accident, they're going to assign the driver the responsibility regardless of any outside factors.

Even though it appears the car actually failed causing the wreck, you're the insured so you're the one that will take the ding for the claim. Sux...not fair, but I'd guess that's how they'll do it.
I had a similiar situation with my C5, the result were not as bad. The Yaw sensor which control the balance/active handling was not installed correctly when the car left BG. Two 7MM bolts were missing . This would cause AH to engage under normal conditions. It was scary and I almost went Azz around a few times. The dealer was unable to solve the problem at first and GM impounded the car and flew in an engineer from Delphi who was able to solve the problem.

Last edited by Snake Slayer; 05-06-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO-6 Crash Update

Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

I remember reading a few rare stories about C5's where the Active Handling engaged on the freeway when nothing was going on and threw the car into the ditch immediately.

as far as I remember I don't recall a resolution, just a freak accident. but this sounds familiar.

With all the safety features these cars have-the computer can send the car whichever way it want too if it gets crazy.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by beav626

I remember reading a few rare stories about C5's where the Active Handling engaged on the freeway when nothing was going on and threw the car into the ditch immediately.

as far as I remember I don't recall a resolution, just a freak accident. but this sounds familiar.

With all the safety features these cars have-the computer can send the car whichever way it want too if it gets crazy.

Good luck
When I had my C5 I remember hearing about the same.... Active handling engaged cause the car to turn abruptly!!

Mark
Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

friggen GM writing a computer program like that!! revving the engine when it sense's a wheel is locked up

Quick Reply: ZO-6 Crash Update