C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just put Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Yellow2006Z
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just put Royal Purple

I just changed oil to Royal Purple and seems that car is running much much smoother. I like it so far - No issues after driving 140 miles. I guess it is as good as other oils if you ask me.

I had RP in my 1998 Trans am and it ran fine with no issues so i went and put it in my Z today as well.

Running smooth...

However, notice CABIN AIR FILTER being extremely dirty (located under the hood in the passanger side dash from engine compartment). I don't know if this is normal (to be this dirty after 27500 miles or do i have to change it every year. (not sure how much it is or where do i get it - probably dealer but they will charge who knows what for just a paper looking filter). I google this filter and see where I can get one cheap.

Take care

Just my opinion on RP engine synthetic oil...

Later
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I use the purple stuff in my boosted C5 and it works for me
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing brands of oil will not make it run smoother. I guess the RP marketing department earned their pay on you.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Changing brands of oil will not make it run smoother. I guess the RP marketing department earned their pay on you.
Yup them marketing people are smart
Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 PM
09C6VRGG
Drifting

Isn't it claimed in the warranty book that RP is not allowed to be used? I believe only API certified lube may be used. Don't quote me I am too lazy to get my manual .

Last edited by 09C6VRGG; 05-04-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Yellow2006Z
Pro

Originally Posted by 09C6VRGG
Isn't it claimed in the warranty book that RP is not allowed to be used? I believe only API certified lube may be used. Don't quote me I am too lazy to get my manual .
Not sure...Chevy employees were saying good choice. Didnt say anything about voiding warranty. (i brought my own oil and filter)

Hey, I used RP before in past and i had no issues. People on this board just hate RP for some reason. I gave it a shot. Doesnt hurt to try.

Later
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,219 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow2006Z
Not sure...Chevy employees were saying good choice. Didnt say anything about voiding warranty. (i brought my own oil and filter)

Hey, I used RP before in past and i had no issues. People on this board just hate RP for some reason. I gave it a shot. Doesnt hurt to try.
Later
And what issues were you having with Mobile 1 ?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been using RP for years. It is good oil. I sent an Email to their engineering dept asking them why their oil does not meet the GM spec, The response was the oil exceeds the GM lubrication (And all manufactures) requirements, They claim they have not submitted their oil due the money GM wants to certify it.
Also as an FYI. The GM spec has very little to do with lubrication properties and a lot to do with how the oil reacts to the emissions controls in terms of long term contamination of the sensors and the Cats etc.
Now before all the Mobil 1 fans jump on this, Mobil 1 IS good oil, I have no issue with it what so ever, However since the primary function of an oil is to provide lubrication to the moving parts of an engine, The best oils contain anti friction additives like molybdenum disulfide etc, All the new oils have had these products removed for some time now to help reduce exhaust pollutants a small amount while potentially sacrificing some long term engine durability. That is why flat tappet cams will usually fail in a new engine unless you put those friction fighters back in, in the form of additives.
Of course our Vetts and lots of others are using roller cams, so thats not nearly as much of issue as it might be. But still for my money I want the best oil lubricating properties available to protect my engine, RP provides that.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I think a very miniscule minority of those on this board have the qualifications to 'know' a superior oil from an inferior one. Most of us just go with the oil recommended for the car or one that meets the spec knowing that the GM engineers are much more qualified to choose the proper oil than we are.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

actually changing your oil can cause the car to run alot smoother under the right cicumstances. Oil full of fuel vapors caused by flooding or that just has some other weird stuff in it from hi milage gets sucked thru the PCV system and can cause the car to run ruff. Now changing your oil to "ANY" oil at this point would make it run smoother.
I read an article once about the split fire plugs and how they guaranteed 15 Hp just by installing them, of course the article was totally true!!. Alot of companies use this tactic, "that is" changing your old worn out plugs to any plug will gain you those kind of numbers. Seems to be true for motor oil claims,, as well as misc. Electronic parts.
Glad its running good for you and the thing that matters most is you are happy. paul
Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Yellow2006Z
Pro

Very good point from a lot of you.

Nothing wrong with Mobil 1. RP does have additional protection that was removed from Mobil 1 (someone stated above - I cant find the article nor do i care to look)

It all comes down to personal preference and how much you are willing to pay for a NAME.

I am sticking with RP for now and that is just my preference and I am willing to pay 8-9$ a Quart.

Thanks all
Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Oh yea, Royal Purple is really worth the money, lol
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...W6PM,b1M25KBSe
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Purple oil! What will they think of next?

U.M.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Oh yea, Royal Purple is really worth the money, lol
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...W6PM,b1M25KBSe
Wow, very interesting, Just goes to show you can't trust advertising without facts to back it up, I'll stay with what the car manufacture suggests thank you, Salt
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
Wait? So because RP is significantly better at one specific test out of god knows how many this makes it superior?

U.M.

Get notified of new replies

To Just put Royal Purple

Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I like to do the following when I change my oil:

1 quart Mobil 1
1 quart Amsoil
1 quart Castrol Edge syn
1 quart Penzoil synthetic
1 quart Royal Purple
1 quart Brad Penn Grade 1

I figure I have the best qualities off all the oils put together and that makes it better... kind of like how the Power Rangers formed that super guy who was better than each individual power ranger.

YMMV
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
I have been using RP for years. It is good oil. I sent an Email to their engineering dept asking them why their oil does not meet the GM spec, The response was the oil exceeds the GM lubrication (And all manufactures) requirements, They claim they have not submitted their oil due the money GM wants to certify it.
Also as an FYI. The GM spec has very little to do with lubrication properties and a lot to do with how the oil reacts to the emissions controls in terms of long term contamination of the sensors and the Cats etc. <snip>
So the question remains... how much do they spend in advertising - annually - versus how much GM wants for certification?

Their sales guys are smart enough to know that "GM certified" means a LOT to a great many people, and would be in and of itself an excellent form of advertising. Kind of like how Mobil 1 is used so extensively becuase GM recommends it... I wonder if there's more to the story there?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM
brian90505
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use RP in my bikes. Good stuff. But I doubt you can feel the difference.

Quick Reply: Just put Royal Purple