C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the C6 so expensive ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Why is the C6 so expensive ?????

As compared to the new Camaro SS , fully loaded at about 35K ??

I understand the Z06 being so much , with the 427 , carbon fiber body parts , aluminum frame ect .

But the base C6 , fully loaded at over 60k , has the same engine and tranny . Nothing on the C6 coupe is particularly hi-tech .

So whats up ??!!??!!

( Note , Im not complaining about the C6 price , its still one of the best bangs for the buck on the planet .. Im just sayin' ......)
Old 05-04-2009, 04:29 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

If you want to bloat it up with an expensive interior that isn't much better than the base interior and some overpriced wheels... sure it's not a deal, but near base it's a hell of a deal and isn't a pig like the camaro

ever seen a fat girl struggling to run down your block "exercising"? same thing when a LS3 is in a camaro
Old 05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because it is super light, super stylish, is a corvette, is awesome, gives 6 figure cars a run for their money - and wins... need I say more?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's not!!!

Check it out.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...chevrolet.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...wont-last.html
Now what would you rather have?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by blackfd
If you want to bloat it up with an expensive interior that isn't much better than the base interior and some overpriced wheels... sure it's not a deal, but near base it's a hell of a deal and isn't a pig like the camaro

ever seen a fat girl struggling to run down your block "exercising"? same thing when a LS3 is in a camaro
OK , so the C6 even uses less raw material than the Camaro , which goes back to my original question .
Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by simplyphp
Because it is super light, super stylish, is a corvette, is awesome, gives 6 figure cars a run for their money - and wins... need I say more?
Im not arguing - the C6 is a much better car , but you're not answering the question .

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Lets not play that game , in a few months you'll be able to get the Camaro at far beneath MSRP as well .

Lets compare MSRP's .
Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

BECAUSE PEOPLE PAY IT is the bottom line!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know what to say about the new Camaro, never drove one, but...

I too originally wondered why the C6 was as expensive as it was... but then I DROVE one... then I knew why... and I bought one. A base C6 is clearly worth considerably more than the average $30k new musclecar (Mustang GT, etc)... amount of raw materials or horsepower ratings really does not mean anything... it's all about the end quality / degree of overall performance.

When I drive my wife's mint Mustang GT vert, I think to myself, "wow, this is a lot of car for about $30k, adequate performance, handling, style, etc... nice car!"... then I think, "how can a Corvette truly be worth at least another $20k MORE than this????"... but then I get into the Corvette, drive it for a half hour or so and say with full confidence, "this car is well worth $50k and then some!!!". You just gotta drive it and/or compare it to understand.

The C6 has raised the bar very high, not many vehicles can touch it, if you want the "best", you gotta pay for it... simple. I'm sure the new Camaro is cool, but it will never perform like a C6 for many reasons. It probably performs like a $35k musclecar should... but I'm sticking with my $50k musclecar, thank you. Once you've had the best, it's hard to go back. The overall design, small size, low weight and sophisticated suspension / structure of the C6 has a lot to do with why it's such an amazing performer.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Vet
I don't know what to say about the new Camaro, never drove one, but...

I too originally wondered why the C6 was as expensive as it was... but then I DROVE one... then I knew why... and I bought one. A base C6 is clearly worth considerably more than the average $30k new musclecar (Mustang GT, etc)... amount of raw materials or horsepower ratings really does not mean anything... it's all about the end quality / degree of overall performance.

When I drive my wife's mint Mustang GT vert, I think to myself, "wow, this is a lot of car for about $30k, adequate performance, handling, style, etc... nice car!"... then I think, "how can a Corvette truly be worth at least another $20k MORE than this????"... but then I get into the Corvette, drive it for a half hour or so and say with full confidence, "this car is well worth $50k and then some!!!". You just gotta drive it and/or compare it to understand.

The C6 has raised the bar very high, not many vehicles can touch it, if you want the "best", you gotta pay for it... simple. I'm sure the new Camaro is cool, but it will never perform like a C6 for many reasons. It probably performs like a $35k musclecar should... but I'm sticking with my $50k musclecar, thank you. Once you've had the best, it's hard to go back. The overall design, small size, low weight and sophisticated suspension / structure of the C6 has a lot to do with why it's such an amazing performer.

I agree with all of what you said .... BUT ....

I didnt answer my question .

Its not a matter of "is it worth it" - IT IS .

Its a matter of WHY is it so expensive .

If GM can make , and profit off of a 30k Camaro , why not price the Vette at 35k and sell them like hot cakes ....
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrooklynC6
Im not arguing - the C6 is a much better car , but you're not answering the question .
I answered your question...

Q: Why is the C6 so expensive?
A: Because it is super light, super stylish, is a corvette, is awesome, gives 6 figure cars a run for their money - and wins.

How is that not answering your question - OH WAIT you're looking for another answer, you're looking for this answer:
The C6 is OVERPRICED OMG why would ANYONE pay that much for a car when the same engine is in another car that costs 30k LESS OMG they are RAPING us!11!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

I answered your question...

Q: Why is the C6 so expensive?
A: Because it is super light, super stylish, is a corvette, is awesome, gives 6 figure cars a run for their money - and wins.

How is that not answering your question - OH WAIT you're looking for another answer, you're looking for this answer:
The C6 is OVERPRICED OMG why would ANYONE pay that much for a car when the same engine is in another car that costs 30k LESS OMG they are RAPING us!11!!!
You're giving me the GM Fanboy answer , where they get a blank check to charge whatever they want for a car because it looks good , and is fast .

I want to know WHY the C6 costs what it does as opposed to the Camaro - Are any parts more expensive , does the labor force at Bowling Green get paid more , was R&D much more intensive leading to increased costs ect .

An answer like that would require facts , not blanket devotion .
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

I have no concrete answer, but I personally can say the C6 is one of the VERY few cars that's worth what they charge for it (bloated options aside)
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

They don't call it the Vette-Tax for nothing..
Seriously, I hope Car and Driver runs the new Camaro on the lighting lap..Just to see where it places. Last year the C6 was running around some very expensive cars.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:12 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You're giving me the GM Fanboy answer , where they get a blank check to charge whatever they want for a car because it looks good , and is fast .

I want to know WHY the C6 costs what it does as opposed to the Camaro - Are any parts more expensive , does the labor force at Bowling Green get paid more , was R&D much more intensive leading to increased costs ect .

You've got to be kidding, let me ask NASA why it costs them millions to launch the space shuttle, it's JUST a space shuttle right!?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know WHY the C6 costs what it does as opposed to the Camaro -

Bose vs Boston Acoustics.... now ask which one Vette owners would RATHER have...
Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
McDoo
2nd Gear

YOu guys are missing the boat entirely. Fist off the two cars are not even close in configuration with the Camero being Front engine transmission and rearend which is pretty standard stuff. By Comparison the Corvette is Front engine and trans and rearend in the back coupled with a live crankshaft speed torque tube. The engineering costs alone are huge for a one of a kind car. Also consider the car uses the most exotic materials of any production car GM makes and couple that with world class interior with fit and finish of a Porsche. Never mind that the Corvette has always been
Chevrolets flag ship car with all the bells and whistles
that adds to the overall cost. Simply put the Camero is just lucky to share the detuned LS3 motor
Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

Manufactures of products don't base the price of their products strictly on what it costs to build.

R&D, design, supply & demand and what the market will bear all come into play.

Marketing sets the price based on all of these, (and more) points.

As far as I see, GM has a very loyal following for the Vette and prices it according to it biggest customer segment.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the C6 so expensive ?????

Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

For one thing, making a performance car that weighs what the Corvette does costs money. There are a lot of weight saving materials used in the Corvette (aluminum, magnesium, composites) and the weight savings adds up fast in the cost of the car.

Some of the cost may be in the composite body panels as well. I don't know how they relate, cost wise, to stamped metal parts.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 PM
H2LS3
Pro

I would think R & D would have something to do with it. How many corvettes to take on that cost 25-30k a year compared to i am guessing 4 to 5 times that for the camaro. Not to mention the camaro is "borrowing" R & D from the vette, and it always has.

I think sheer volume has a lot to do with pricing too.

I havent seen a new camaro in person, but I'd bet there are lots of things that are inferior to the vette. (suspension, frame, body materials)

The camaro looks nice, but its still not a corvette.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by blackfd
I have no concrete answer, but I personally can say the C6 is one of the VERY few cars that's worth what they charge for it (bloated options aside)
I do not disagree - And I like my bloated options

Originally Posted by nwc6
They don't call it the Vette-Tax for nothing..
Seriously, I hope Car and Driver runs the new Camaro on the lighting lap..Just to see where it places. Last year the C6 was running around some very expensive cars.
I guess you're right - But it seems foolish to me that if GM can sell the Vette for 35k and still make money , they dont . It would outsell about every other car out there .

You've got to be kidding, let me ask NASA why it costs them millions to launch the space shuttle, it's JUST a space shuttle right!?
This response just doesnt make sense . NASA does disclose their budget , and if you wanted to you could find out exactly why it costs what it costs to launch a shuttle .

Originally Posted by Leprkon
Bose vs Boston Acoustics.... now ask which one Vette owners would RATHER have...
Good point

Quick Reply: Why is the C6 so expensive ?????