C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dogs in the Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Dogs in the Vette?

One of the biggest reasons why the wife doesn't want to get rid of the truck and get a Vette is the lack of room for our 2 dogs.

I KNOW ANIMALS IN THE VETTE IS LIKELY A SIN, BUT LETS LOOK PAST THAT...

We have a 70 lb Rott-Lab mix and a 10 lb Chihuahua. The small one can chill in the back or in my wifes lap, but the big one would only fit in the back. Does anyone take a kinda large dog with them in the Vette, and if so, how does it fit in the back? Seems there would be room if she lays down and sleeps.

Otherwise, I can not the the Vette on any trips more than one day.

...and yes I know, I could always loose the wife....but thats not gunna happen.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
One of the biggest reasons why the wife doesn't want to get rid of the truck and get a Vette is the lack of room for our 2 dogs.

We have a 70 lb Rott-Lab mix and a 10 lb Chihuahua. The small one can chill in the back or in my wifes lap, but the big one would only fit in the back. Does anyone take a kinda large dog with them in the Vette, and if so, how does it fit in the back? Seems there would be room if she lays down and sleeps.

Well, if your not gonna budge on this item, then I dont see how we can help you !!! Just funnin !!!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
jc9767
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We take our 70lb Golden Retriever in our 08 once in a while. There is plenty of room for the dog to lie down in the back. If your dog is calm and willing to lie down in the car then you should be ok. It is easier to put them in through the hatch, but I would recommend a rear fascia protector.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jc9767
We take our 70lb Golden Retriever in our 08 once in a while. There is plenty of room for the dog to lie down in the back. If your dog is calm and willing to lie down in the car then you should be ok. It is easier to put them in through the hatch, but I would recommend a rear fascia protector.
awesome!

anyone else have a take...maybe pics so I can see how mush room there is?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 PM
jccarr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take my two Whippets in the back. The male is an extra large Whippet at 45 pounds and about 24 inches at the withers. He cannot stand up all the way when the trunk is closed but they basically lie down and sleep while traveling. I put a foam pad in the back with a blanket over that to protect the car. We protect the seats with seat armor and also pull the blanket up between the seats as the dogs seem to always want to ride with their heads between us. Prior to opening the trunk all the way I pull the part of blanket over the back of the car to protect the paint. They travel very well in the back. I place the dogs in and out and do not let them jump in or out.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Watch the sun

It can get really hot in the hatch from the sun. You may want a suction cup sun shade on the rear glass.
LJ
Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
NiborGnissom
Instructor

i just worry about the scorchin sun coming through that big rear glass and cooking the puppies hoop.............
Old 05-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

do a search this comes up from time to time. There is a photo of someone from florida with a Great Dane they transport in the back of a c-6. It all depends how calm the dog and how calm you are about the hair. If your dog has a place in your family like mine then you have a happy Vette driving a happy dog!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff won't fit in mine: [IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
ironmanthor
Instructor

I know this wont help tons, but i love the topic. Since I have only owned verts, there is no back. But for 8 years Ive been transporting my german shephards for fun. They have to go one at a time and it really gets the other one going but they sit well with and without the top down. and they are both around 85 lbs. His name is Legend.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...egendstep2.jpg

also, can someone tell me how you post a pic in the post as a pic like the one before me, and not just post a link.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,979 Likes on 1,319 Posts

People here don't eat in Vettes, don't drink in them, refuse to drive in the rain, but they'll take their friggin' dogs.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Where's WolfDogs???
Old 05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
als2052
Burning Brakes

No brainer...Hello Vette...Goodbye Wife...Goodbye Dogs...
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

In case of an accident, an unrestrained dog in your wifes lap, or in the back with the big dog would not come out well.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted by m48xhp

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 AM
heller372
Advanced

not since he was this big now he wont fit 1 1/2 years 180 lbs
Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

I would buy the vette and have fun with it.

Sure the dogs will shed a bit in the car and it bothers some..

I take my dog with me in the car every day or so.

Its not quite 70 lbs though but there seems plenty of room in the back.

Usually the dog jumps in the car first and hops in back....(hatch area)

Dog Digs driving with the targa top off too...She always stays in the back area and enjoys the ride..
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
SnoopyCool
Advanced

For what it's worth, my only car is a C4 that has roughly the same sized hatch area as the C6 and my 70 pound lab mix fits in there with enough room to stretch out. She actually likes to stand up in the back (hunched back and silly-looking), but she's not coordinated enough to stay that way for very long.

One thing to keep in mind is that dogs can't pull back those damn claws like cats can, and unless you get a ramp to let them get into the back via the rear hatch (which is a danger to the paint if your dog is as sloppy a walker as mine), they're going to be climbing over your seats and console to get back there and get out again. After 3 years of dog hauling in the C4, my plastic console and the leather pad between the seats are both scratched to hell (looks like a hyperactive kid with a razor blade went crazy on them). I'm actually keeping the C4 specifically to use as a dog vehicle when I move up to a C6 later this year for this specific reason.

Get notified of new replies

To Dogs in the Vette?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Better put some rain-X on the inside windows and muzzle that dog as you don't want to come back to chewed up leather seats.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't have a big dog, but our mini-doxie Otto, always comes with us in any of the Corvettes. We have a basket/bed that we put on the console. He love's it. He's even ok with the '62 with all the wind and engine noise.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 PM
raider4251
Pro

My four Cocker Spaniels love riding with the top off. I tuck a sheet over the rear hatch area whenever they ride with me.

Quick Reply: Dogs in the Vette?