C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So the Lexus salesman says........

Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by cmicasa
Damn skippy my "V" will absolutely MURDER a IS-F... and look better doing it too.

Originally Posted by TheTrot
Sure, the IS-F is probably one of the most grotesque looking cars ever. I mean it is Pontiac Aztek disgusting.

Originally Posted by BlackC6Girly
How about looking at Acura...

Soft spot in my heart for these two...

Thanx.. and we both kno REAL Corvettes only come in BLACK
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I'm torn fellas.

Yes, I do own a Lexus.

But it has never given me any WOW factor. When I decided to get a Vette for a toy, a friend asked me "why would you want that? You have a Lexus".

Yes, I just shook my head.

I live in a Lexus family. It might explain my purchase. I think it looks pretty good. I did nothing to it. What you see below is how it came from the dealer.

My mom has the SUV thingy (I think it's an LX460 or something). My dad has the new LS600hL which is pretty cool but not worth $115k IMHO.

I think everyone here has some valid points, on both sides of the argument.

Someone mentioned that the Lexus didn't look very good. Well, I disagree. I think this IS350 looks pretty good. However, I do agree that the CTS-V is way better... but for a whole lot more money.

This IS350 was $39k new and I purchased used (6 months old) for $31.5k.

Thoughts?

PS: It HAS egg-shell or orange-peel or whatever you call it on the paint. So does my fathers $115k LS.

Last but not least... let it be WELL known I'm no Lexus lover. Most of the vehicles I've purchased over 25 years have been from GM. The first was a 1979 Z28. The last was my current 07 C6.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Jaxon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are in the market for a new car I beg you to help GM and your country and buy an American car.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
ZakkWylde470
Heel & Toe

IS-F

Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jaxon
If you are in the market for a new car I beg you to help GM and your country and buy an American car.
Good point.

However, Toyota employs more Americans than GM now... where does that leave us?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raazor
I'm torn fellas.

Yes, I do own a Lexus.

But it has never given me any WOW factor. When I decided to get a Vette for a toy, a friend asked me "why would you want that? You have a Lexus".

Yes, I just shook my head.

I live in a Lexus family. It might explain my purchase. I think it looks pretty good. I did nothing to it. What you see below is how it came from the dealer.

My mom has the SUV thingy (I think it's an LX460 or something). My dad has the new LS600hL which is pretty cool but not worth $115k IMHO.

I think everyone here has some valid points, on both sides of the argument.

Someone mentioned that the Lexus didn't look very good. Well, I disagree. I think this IS350 looks pretty good. However, I do agree that the CTS-V is way better... but for a whole lot more money.

This IS350 was $39k new and I purchased used (6 months old) for $31.5k.

Thoughts? whatever you call it on the paint. So does my fathers $115k LS.

Last but not least... let it be WELL known I'm no Lexus lover. Most of the vehicles I've purchased over 25 years have been from GM. The first was a 1979 Z28. The last was my current 07 C6.

Nice looking car... My relatives all have either Lexus or Honda.. they won't even consider an American car.. Pisses me off.. MY older sister just totaled her 96 accord with 186,000 miles on it...
I have her looking at a Malibu... but no she want to look at Mazda and then back to Honda...
I'm working on her... only problem is she live in SanFran and I'm in Charlotte NC.. but we've been talking a lot.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Nice looking car... My relatives all have either Lexus or Honda.. they won't even consider an American car.. Pisses me off.. MY older sister just totaled her 96 accord with 186,000 miles on it...
I have her looking at a Malibu... but no she want to look at Mazda and then back to Honda...
I'm working on her... only problem is she live in SanFran and I'm in Charlotte NC.. but we've been talking a lot.
Have her look at that Buick posted. That thing is sweet!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by lectricman
Went to Chevy dealer in Cocoa FL, to look at the new Camaro(V 6 on showroom floor) went in with my co worker, now i know the salesman and he knows i might be interested in one for the wife, the doors are locked and his manager will not give him the keys.
He told me the car is sold, i said that i do not want to sit in it ,just pop my head in and look,,,,,no can do,,,,, they also added $3995.00 to the msrp.................................... ...shame on them and i will not by anything from this dealer(Bob Steele Chevy) waited week and a half for them to get me a corvette ( which they never did and never returned a call ) i thought we were in a recession and people buying $60k corvettes are a dime a dozen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,sorry folks ...had to vent
My dad worked there and I've met Bob, Kevin and many of the people. My dad bought 2 new vettes direct from Bob and he had a great story to tell about one. He bought a 74 and 76 I believe and he said that one, pretty sure the 76 had a special fan belt. The evening after he picked it up he was out at the beach and threw the belt. Turned out that the belt was so special there were no replacements. Bob went out and pulled another new vette off the show room and after appologizing he gave my dad the keys and said they'd call him when they get a new belt on his car. This impressed my dad so much he ended up working for him. This was back when the dealership was on the island. I bought my first new car from them, a 91 Camaro, off the truck when I was visiting in between duty stations. I had just bought another new car and was not looking for another but the deal was that good.

Now that I've said the good, the bad is every time I am looking for a new car I've gone there first. I hate to say that they do mark up vettes and they have not given me the service they gave my dad and I those many years ago. Times have changed, maybe, but so have sales people.

Another story, last year while I was shopping for my new vette (at the time I was looking for a good deal on an 08) my step mom stopped into the Titusville dealership and they had a 08 just like I wanted. Yes it was also marked up. Anyway my step mom gave a sales man my info and sent me a cell phone pic and the link to it at the dealers site. Since they didn't call I called them, I had to leave a message as the vette guy was busy. They never called back. Called again, another message and never a return call.

Ended up getting my 09 for the price of the 08 from EVS with customer service that was fantastic.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Good point.

However, Toyota employs more Americans than GM now... where does that leave us?
Not true.

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/fact_kit.html
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Sorry, but "yes" true.

You crack me up VS. Glad to have you around!!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Last time we looked at cars at our local Chevy dealership was in 2002, when we bought out Tahoe. The salesman came out and said hello, can I get you our best price? We thought, wow, maybe they've changed. He came back with full MSRP, plus additional dealer markup, as well as a ridiculously low amount for our 18 month old trade. We left and haven't been back, at least for sales, the service wasn't bad the time or two we went. We ended up buying from a Dealer about an hour away that had 15-20 Tahoes all at $9k off of MSRP. They also gave us more for our trade than our local dealer wanted to negotiate from.

We took in a new mini van to our local Dodge dealer, needing a computer and something else, before we even got gas for it. They treated us very poorly, evidentally because we didn't buy it from them. It was an impulse buy and at that time we had nothing against the local Dodge dealer. A few years later, we went to our local dealer looking for a new car. We told our story to the salesman, who just rolled his shoulders, kind of saying that's what you get for not buying from us. We bought out of town again and have not been back.

It's not the brand it's the dealer and salesman.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Last year we bought a Lexus ES350. While not cheap or a bargain, it was a great experience. Very professional salesman, great dealership. It may be a fancy Camry, but so what? It is a great car, so are Camry's. That's why Toyota is the largest car manufacturer in the world. This is not a Chevy blast, I love my new vette.

PS. Before buying the Lexus, actually even before thinking about a Lexus, we drove Cadillac's, Buicks, BMW's, Infinities, and maybe some others. The Lexus was by far the best family highway cruiser for us.

Last edited by widgetsupply; 04-30-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
It's not the brand it's the dealer and salesman.
100%
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

Last year we bought a Lexus ES350. While not cheap or a bargain, it was a great experience. Very professional salesman, great dealership. It may be a fancy Camry, but so what? It is a great car, so are Camry's. That's why Toyota is the largest car manufacturer in the world. This is not a Chevy blast, I love my new vette.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
acf5678
Instructor

Last time we looked at cars at our local Chevy dealership was in 2002, when we bought out Tahoe. The salesman came out and said hello, can I get you our best price? We thought, wow, maybe they've changed. He came back with full MSRP, plus additional dealer markup, as well as a ridiculously low amount for our 18 month old trade. We left and haven't been back, at least for sales, the service wasn't bad the time or two we went. We ended up buying from a Dealer about an hour away that had 15-20 Tahoes all at $9k off of MSRP. They also gave us more for our trade than our local dealer wanted to negotiate from.

We took in a new mini van to our local Dodge dealer, needing a computer and something else, before we even got gas for it. They treated us very poorly, evidentally because we didn't buy it from them. It was an impulse buy and at that time we had nothing against the local Dodge dealer. A few years later, we went to our local dealer looking for a new car. We told our story to the salesman, who just rolled his shoulders, kind of saying that's what you get for not buying from us. We bought out of town again and have not been back.

It's not the brand it's the dealer and salesman
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM
boardroomjimmy
Racer

When people ask about my Lexus, I tell them the truth.

It's a Camry with wheels and badges.

Well, not really. Camrys are front wheel drive. The IS is a standalone platform, not shared with anything else. The leather in my IS puts the vette to shame. It's a very nice car for what it is, a "sport" sedan. The IS-F is a design failure, goes just ok, looks like hell. I feel I got more for my money with the Lexus as opposed the the cts. Near dead people still pollute the caddy image, just couldn't do it.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Sorry, but "yes" true.

You crack me up VS. Glad to have you around!!
Please indulge us with your wealth of information.

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/fact_kit.html

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...imports-43552/

http://cardealerforums.com/alt-autos...vs-toyota.html

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/11/gm-and-ford-may/

http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/gl...merica/usa.jsp

http://www.toyota.com/about/our_busi...mployment.html

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/about.html

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=15182

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-To...g-Changes.aspx

http://www.chinadaily.net/world/2009...nt_7476326.htm

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 04-30-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To So the Lexus salesman says........

Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
LEXUS430
Racer

we have 2 dealerships around here with that attitude bmw and porsche when i had the urge for a new toy last sept i drove by porsvhe and they had a used cherry red 911 vert for sale i had an aston martin at the time so i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. i stopped by thet were asking 5,000 over book fot their car and offered me 3.000 under for my car( i'm in the business so it was easy to get accurate numbers i stopped by and said i'll give you one last chance to adjust the numbers( we know the owners but the salesperson didn't know that.she looked at me and said we're porsche we don't bargain i drove across the street to the chevy dealer( he's my neighbor) say the z got the numbers i wanted on both ends and drove off in the z straight to porsche. told the sales person i don't bargain either i just buy what i want check your records my families bought 3 or 4 porsches her in the past but not with your attitude the look on her face was great. i stop by there every few months just to get them all excited then leave
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 PM
GrandSportGirly
Melting Slicks

I think both Caddy and Buick have those two beat.

2010 SRX

2008 CTS
Ughhh I don't think so...

If it's a CTS-V Yes

SRX over and MDX um NO

BTW I am not comparing power of the cars just the over all car. Acura hands down beats the Caddy in many other ways...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlackC6Girly
Ughhh I don't think so...

If it's a CTS-V Yes

SRX over and MDX um NO

BTW I am not comparing power of the cars just the over all car. Acura hands down beats the Caddy in many other ways...
But the Acura is butt ugly..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So the Lexus salesman says........