C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So the Lexus salesman says........

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
You haven't had it long enogh for the service to start.
i had an original launch 05 z51 c6 i got in the fall of 04. It was my daily driver and it never had a single problem. i traded it for an 08 z06 this past fall and the only problem that has had is the nav unit lags.. but it seems to have fixed itself recently. I'd like to think i've had c6's about as long as it is possible to have one and have yet to have a real problem.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QbnSuperman
i had an original launch 05 z51 c6 i got in the fall of 04. It was my daily driver and it never had a single problem. i traded it for an 08 z06 this past fall and the only problem that has had is the nav unit lags.. but it seems to have fixed itself recently. I'd like to think i've had c6's about as long as it is possible to have one and have yet to have a real problem.

Some are never happy, some like to complain, some love to bash, and even some are just not honest.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Some are never happy, some like to complain, some love to bash, and even some are just not honest.
Regardless of what side of the debate you are on.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
jsbtheman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
You should have said, "You're right, its a Toyota!"
Exactly! And it sure isn't a Mercedes or BMW. It's a car for those who just couldn't quite make it up to that level. A "wanna be" upscale car.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbtheman
Exactly! And it sure isn't a Mercedes or BMW. It's a car for those who just couldn't quite make it up to that level. A "wanna be" upscale car.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Sorry but that Ferrari looks stupid compared to the ZR1 in this picture....it looks goofy!

slap ferrari name on with the prancing horse and it is automatically "beautiful"

i was at a local car show where i guy had turned his fiero into a ferrari look alike with ferrari name and prancing horse. the folks oooh's and aahh'd...i mean it WAS a ferrari.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Reminds me of the time a (female) friend of mine wanted to go looks at Porsches. We pulled up to the Porsche dealership in my Vette and a salesman ran up to me as I was stepping foot out of my Vette and said to me "so you're ready to step up to a real man's car?"...
You should have told him "No were looking for a girly car!!!"

Mark...
Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Indy272

Mark...
They look like VW's anyway.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can keep those foreign junk cars. GM all the way!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Chrisbert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Man
That car has NOTHING to do with a Camry. Your not serious are you?

The ES is the same platform as the Camry not the IS (pictured).
The IS and GS share the same platform. Currently, there is no Toyota equivalent as they decided to market the Lexus name in Japan as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Do they still put badges on TOYOTA Camry's and call them a LEXUS?
No, they put a Lexus badge on the Avalon and call it an ES. The IS, LS, GS however aren't sold under the toyota plate. The Camry in the tuxedo was the ES300 and 330.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by YELLOHHH
My point being that since you are in the business, you should recognize that saying a Lexus is a Toyota is akin to saying that a Cadillac is a Chevrolet. They exist to serve two different market segments. While the salesperson's tact was lacking, that was his point. There are a million analogies you can use. Champagne tastes on a beer budget, Neiman Marcus/Wal-Mart, etc. No one would ever say that a Lexus, or a Cadillac for that matter, is the cheapest car you can buy. Conversely, if a customer walks into a Rolls Royce or Bentley dealership, I doubt price was a deciding factor in their choice.

I have been in the business, with the same organization, for 14 years. I have been in our Lexus franchise for the last 3 years.

So comparing a regular Toyota to a Lexus would be the same as comparing a regular Chevy to a Corvette. That was my point and you made it for me.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

So comparing a regular Toyota to a Lexus would be the same as comparing a regular Chevy to a Corvette. That was my point and you made it for me.
110%
Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

You point out that...

...and in the same thread there are countless examples of your exact point. That knife cuts both ways.

Originally Posted by jsbtheman
Originally Posted by Indy272

Mark...
They look like VW's anyway.
Originally Posted by Dans C6
You can keep those foreign junk cars. GM all the way!
Originally Posted by budmont
Typical response from the people that brought you Pearl Harbor!
My wife is talking about Lexus, I told her I won't drive it, ride in it or maintain it. I only buy american.
Thats an easy one. All you had to say was "oh and I thought this was a VW dealership".
Originally Posted by Rogers 07
And as we all know, Lexus backwards is SUXEL and yes they do !!!
Originally Posted by cmicasa
And to be honest.. I could see U taking your wife to the BMW dealer or Benz.. but LEXUS??? WTF???

Hell.. when she could get into the new 2010 Lacrosse, Enclave, new SRX, CTS, or even STS.. why would she want a damn Toyota?
Originally Posted by jr3
Do they still put badges on TOYOTA Camry's and call them a LEXUS?
Originally Posted by LarryMJones
Lexus bad, Chevy good.
LJ
Originally Posted by Tommy D
and a very expensive badge
Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Should have said "I don't see anything but Beetles around here".
Originally Posted by RadarP3C
You beat me to it. Or better yet, ... it's a Dotson.
Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
... an overpriced Toyota!!
The hypocrisy is almost comical.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

The hypocrisy is almost comical.

Good to see you have a sense of humor..........

Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

If we are operating under the premise that Lexus = Cadillac and Toyota = Chevrolet (which is a stretch in and of itself) then no, I didn't make your point, you made mine. The Corvette is made by Chevrolet, not Cadillac. The Corvette of Cadillac was the XLR, hence it's price point, $20-$30k more than a Corvette.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

If we are operating under the premise that Lexus = Cadillac and Toyota = Chevrolet (which is a stretch in and of itself) then no, I didn't make your point, you made mine. The Corvette is made by Chevrolet, not Cadillac. The Corvette of Cadillac was the XLR, hence it's price point, $20-$30k more than a Corvette.
You made his point. You are wrong plain and simple. One of the most difficult things in human psychology is to admit mistake. It may just be easier to bow out gracefully.

Get notified of new replies

To So the Lexus salesman says........

Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Corvette is a Chevy because it has to be sold somewhere, but in other coutries the Corvette is its own brand. The XLR was never a Corvette. The CTS-V would be closer.

The point I'm making is that the Lexus salesman decided to try to insult and Corvette owner trying to make a sale and what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I think you are being a little over sensitive about the Lexus/Toyota bashing going on, but this is a forum about Corvettes. I'm sure there are plenty of Lexus forums you can go to where you can feel good about attempts to bash Corvette.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Corvette is a Chevy because it has to be sold somewhere, but in other coutries the Corvette is its own brand. The XLR was never a Corvette. The CTS-V would be closer.

The point I'm making is that the Lexus salesman decided to try to insult and Corvette owner trying to make a sale and what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I think you are being a little over sensitive about the Lexus/Toyota bashing going on, but this is a forum about Corvettes. I'm sure there are plenty of Lexus forums you can go to where you can feel good about attempts to bash Corvette.
Well said. Lexus and Toyota must have a forum.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow...look what I started!

My point in the original post was simply to point out the Lexus salesman picked an unfortunate analagy in comparing his cars to a Chevy when I drove up in a Vette. He was mostly inept as a salesman anyway and wouldn't have gotten a sale even if he used a Ford in the comparison.........oh - oh. Here come the Ford folks.....

Quick Reply: So the Lexus salesman says........