C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Gas? Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Chevron

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Best Gas? Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Chevron

I remember back when I had my 05 and Diablo Sport was about to start testing for their predator.

I agreed to be a beta tester and the owner of Diablo Sport told me to bring the car with Mobil in it since all the other gas they tested with in S Florida caused knocking. I never did the testing since they wanted to run my car on the dyno 150 times!!

After using the search I see Shell seems to be the preferred brand on here.

Has anyone log'd knock retard with different gas types with a stock LS2 or LS3? Anyone done back to back MPG tests?

Last edited by FLC6; 04-29-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
redsky49
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming you have adequate octane to prevent detonation under load (probably not a concern for stock engines), the issue has to do with detergent levels and keeping injectors happy.

Look for a "top tier gas" here: http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't comment on gas brands in Florida, but in Atlanta all of our gas comes from the same tanks at the Colonial Pipeline terminal in Doraville. You can drive over there and watch tankers labeled with each of the major brand's logos fill up from the same tank. So the best gas is wherever you find the cheapest price. Currently that's Kroger gas at $1.69 a gallon when you use your Kroger Plus card.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

Originally Posted by shopdog
I can't comment on gas brands in Florida, but in Atlanta all of our gas comes from the same tanks at the Colonial Pipeline terminal in Doraville. You can drive over there and watch tankers labeled with each of the major brand's logos fill up from the same tank. So the best gas is wherever you find the cheapest price. Currently that's Kroger gas at $1.69 a gallon when you use your Kroger Plus card.
Yup. It's my understanding that the national pipeline system contains all the same stuff. The various separate brands add their special additives to the gas, but otherwise brand a=brand b.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redsky49
Assuming you have adequate octane to prevent detonation under load (probably not a concern for stock engines), the issue has to do with detergent levels and keeping injectors happy.

Look for a "top tier gas" here: http://www.toptiergas.com/
Love your "Marty Feldman" avatar!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
jmarch313
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chevron Gas

It is my understanding that Chevron is the only company that puts its additive, Techtron, in ALL three grades of gasoline. My cars run great on Chevron gas.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM
JayO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trucks are fed by terminals which are fed by pipelines which are fed by refineries. Pipelines can run hundreds (or more) of miles. At a truck terminal there will be additive tanks for the majors serving that area - although they may or may not have a refinery nearby. Gas is freely traded between companies. "Cheap" gas is often additive free.

Today all majors have enough "clean fuel" additives in the gas to keep the fuel system functioning correctly. Off brand gas may or may not have enough additives to keep your injector's clean over time.

My advice for a Corvette is to buy the highest octane "major brand" gas you can find. Preferably Ethanol free(one thing I miss from Okla.)
Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by JayO
My advice for a Corvette is to buy the highest octane "major brand" gas you can find. Preferably Ethanol free

... I'm down to two stations that I know of that aren't 10% ethanol in the nashville area...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JayO
Trucks are fed by terminals which are fed by pipelines which are fed by refineries. Pipelines can run hundreds (or more) of miles. At a truck terminal there will be additive tanks for the majors serving that area - although they may or may not have a refinery nearby. Gas is freely traded between companies. "Cheap" gas is often additive free.

Today all majors have enough "clean fuel" additives in the gas to keep the fuel system functioning correctly. Off brand gas may or may not have enough additives to keep your injector's clean over time.

My advice for a Corvette is to buy the highest octane "major brand" gas you can find. Preferably Ethanol free(one thing I miss from Okla.)
Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I normally buy Shell. I used to buy from E-Z Mart, but several years ago, got a bunch of water with a fill-up. I'm sure its all the same stuff, just different name.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

IB4TOPTIER POT BANGERS.

/ Close thread.

Here's the quick and dirty.

All gas has detergents (Cleans deposits)
Ethanol eats engine junk (deposits)
Some will argue fancy named detergents are better. (Techron. Nitrogen etc)

IF your not paying more get the fancy stuff...

IF your paying more for name brand detergents....STOP.

Buying any name brand you will be fine...so check price.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by firecop90conv
I normally buy Shell. I used to buy from E-Z Mart, but several years ago, got a bunch of water with a fill-up. I'm sure its all the same stuff, just different name.
Curious... when you got a bunch of water with your fill up... Did other customers get water also?

Like did the whole station come to a halt?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I usually use Chevron (not because they are toptier) in my cars unless they are more than a couple cents more expensive then the generic one across the street
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

I've lost my brand loyalty since ethanol is in all here but one in the Boise area, a Phillips 66 station. I hate ethanol.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

cheveron, shell, textron.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This subject has been to death 100s of times here.....
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Sunoco is the only gas I use.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Gas? Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Chevron

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am no gas-pro....but, I can tell you that I only use major brands, usually chevron. My wife used Arco for many years, because it is cheep. Then one day our lawn mower stopped working. When we took it to the shop for repair.... they fixed it by changing the gas. They said that they see this a lot....lawn mowers (at least mine) don't like to run on Arco. I don't know why...but, if a seven hundred dollar lawn mower won't even run on cheep gas, why would I put it in my car. For the minor difference in cost...I will stick to the major brands.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I am no gas-pro....but, I can tell you that I only use major brands, usually chevron. My wife used Arco for many years, because it is cheep. Then one day our lawn mower stopped working. When we took it to the shop for repair.... they fixed it by changing the gas. They said that they see this a lot....lawn mowers (at least mine) don't like to run on Arco. I don't know why...but, if a seven hundred dollar lawn mower won't even run on cheep gas, why would I put it in my car. For the minor difference in cost...I will stick to the major brands.
Absolutely, 100% correct. I discovered the hard way with ARCO when the 350 CI engine in my truck kept fouling plugs and generally ran like junk. No more ARCO....no more trouble. Chevron all the time now for me.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 AM
DAN01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Chevron.

Quick Reply: Best Gas? Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Chevron