C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Front Air Dam Part # Change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 PM
RBLUVETT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Front Air Dam Part # Change?

While I was preping my 09 for a show, I noticed that the two ends of the front air dam were scuffed up. The replacements are cheap, about 17$ each, so I ordered a left (pt # 10301851) and right (pr # 10311852) replacements. I was told that the left had a new part # (25960605). When a received them (from the local dealer) the right one is fine, but the left one is only half the size of the old one. The new one is only 10 inches long, but the old is 20 inches long. As a result the new one does not reach the center air dam, where it connects to the center section with a "pine tree" fitting. Both old and new have the same molded-in part # (10301851), but the new one has an "MP" stamped above the pt #. Can anyone shed any light on this? Anybody have access to the parts list?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Here's a parts list from Gene @ GM Parts House, perhaps it is listed in there?

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/c6partslist.html

||--Genuine GM C6 Splitter/3 Piece Air Dam--||
Stock C6
21992641 – Center air dam – 53.35
25960605 – LH air dam – 15.38
10301852 – RH air dam – 17.15
This the three piece spoiler underneath the front bumper.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

It is true that the part number has changed (not uncommon when a supplier is changed to have a good demarcation). You also are showing the two correct part numbers (old and new). It is noted that it is a design change on the dealers parts list. I'm trying to find out if there was supposed to be a physical change to the part or if it should have been a direct replacement.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
RBLUVETT
Instructor

Attached is a photo (if I do right) of the old (six months) and new. Both bear the same part nimbers
Originally Posted by talon90
It is true that the part number has changed (not uncommon when a supplier is changed to have a good demarcation). You also are showing the two correct part numbers (old and new). It is noted that it is a design change on the dealers parts list. I'm trying to find out if there was supposed to be a physical change to the part or if it should have been a direct replacement.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
85Z514+3
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just placed an order with Gene at GMPartshouse over the weekend and he called me yesterday to inform me of the same dilemma that you ran into. So today I went to my local Chevy dealer and had him search for the old part numbers in the system. After explaining that I did not want the new part numbers, he was able to locate (1) LH and (1) RH deflector that had been on a dealer's shelf since 2006. I think I was lucky to find them considering that the new ones are not even close to the originals. You may want to ask your local dealer to do the same or wait until GM wakes up and realizes that the replacement parts are wrong and corrects the situation. Maybe Talon90 will have an update soon on the problem.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

It seems inconceivable there could be this much discrepancy. Is the '09 that different or is the new part just wrong? Hope Talon can determine that too.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Hello All,

I meant to post about this but I've been very busy. I sell a lot of these so when I started to get the new one in I decided to investigate. GM told me that there will be a mid 09 year design change on these on the cars coming from the factory.

The old one used to come from the air deflector under the front bumper that holds the brake duct to the center air deflector. Due to complaints of too many damaged side deflectors, they are now only going to make the new valance panel the length of the deflector that holds the brake duct underneath the front bumper and will not continue to go to the center.

So there will be a gap between the center and the RH and LH. The new LH has been available here and there, but there have been no RH available yet.

The Z06 LH and RH have not changed yet and there is a slight mounting hole change that might allow you to use those on the stock C6. I sent them out to a customer for a test, so I'll get back to you with the results of the test.

Thanks, Gene.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 AM
RBLUVETT
Instructor

Default Air dam change

I took both pieces to my local dealer this morning and explained to him what Gene Culley posted here (thanks Gene). He is checking with the dealer network to try to locate a new left side "old" part. So now I have a new "old" part on the right, and a new "new" part on the left. New "new" right sides are not available and new "old" left sides are not available. So its impossible to get a matching set. Read it again, there will be a quiz.
Only GM could do this.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:26 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Hello All,

I meant to post about this but I've been very busy. I sell a lot of these so when I started to get the new one in I decided to investigate. GM told me that there will be a mid 09 year design change on these on the cars coming from the factory.

The old one used to come from the air deflector under the front bumper that holds the brake duct to the center air deflector. Due to complaints of too many damaged side deflectors, they are now only going to make the new valance panel the length of the deflector that holds the brake duct underneath the front bumper and will not continue to go to the center.

So there will be a gap between the center and the RH and LH. The new LH has been available here and there, but there have been no RH available yet.

The Z06 LH and RH have not changed yet and there is a slight mounting hole change that might allow you to use those on the stock C6. I sent them out to a customer for a test, so I'll get back to you with the results of the test.

Thanks, Gene.
Looking at the comparo pictures above, its going to be a big gap..What is GM thinking? So some people scrape them? Why not treat these the same as the C5? Call them a consumable, and sell a half a million of them..
Gene, let us know if the substitute test works out. I would like to see a vendor step up and make replacements for those of us that do not want a 8" gap in the front air dam..
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nwc6
Looking at the comparo pictures above, its going to be a big gap..What is GM thinking? So some people scrape them? Why not treat these the same as the C5? Call them a consumable, and sell a half a million of them..
Gene, let us know if the substitute test works out. I would like to see a vendor step up and make replacements for those of us that do not want a 8" gap in the front air dam..
Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Gene Culley

Yes, as you mentioned, there will be a large gap. If I can speak freely, I would say that it will look dumb. If it were my car I'd be pissed.

I have to get with my test customer and let you know. I'm sorry I didn't get that done yet.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing about using Z06 pieces on a regular C6, then I saw Gene's posts. I'm also waiting to hear if they fit or not, because I too think the gap will look terrible.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM
KENZ51
Drifting

I just purchased a rt. side from a forum member in the Parts for sale threads, havent recieved it yet, so I dont know if it will be the same or not., wonder if this is the reason he was selling it, same price....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Gene Culley

Ok, I sent one out to someone and he said it worked. But there is a little descrepency. He did a Z06 conversion, so I feel he already had the Z06 one, but he says he used an aftermarket bumper and used the stock C6 valance panels.

I proposed sending another customer these who has a stock C6 and he said he would try it. I will report back with my findings.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
1953 C6
Racer

Has anyone closed the loop on this. I scraped mine this past weekend and have been having a heck of a time finding the old one. Will the Z06 one work on a C6???
Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I have confirmed that the part has changed. I have not been able to identify why, when or what the changeover date is for assembly or SPO.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
09C6VRGG
Drifting

I just ordered the 3 front parts from my dealer. They still make them, but they are considered to be in the front bumper section. They are not listed with the left and right pieces.

Get notified of new replies

To 09 Front Air Dam Part # Change?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley

So there will be a gap between the center and the RH and LH.
I just gotta ask this question. If the problem is too many complaints of damaged side deflectors, how is carving out a chunk towards the middle going to fix the problem?

This is shaping up as a classic horribly ineffective fix to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
1953 C6
Racer

Originally Posted by 09C6VRGG
I just ordered the 3 front parts from my dealer. They still make them, but they are considered to be in the front bumper section. They are not listed with the left and right pieces.
P/N numbers please. I hope you're right!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
85Z514+3
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick Reply: 09 Front Air Dam Part # Change?