C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Corvette Forum – A Little Long and Very Sad

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 PM
formuladan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye Corvette Forum – A Little Long and Very Sad

This will be my final post on the forum. I joined about 2 years ago and have enjoyed my time here. It’s been very informative and oftentimes entertaining. Most importantly, I met two amazing people through this forum who became good friends almost immediately and have since become neighbors. Here are a few pics from our cruise last week.

It was a fun day and also the last ride for me and my beloved C6. Here are a few pics of it as it sits today, along with my equally loved 8,000 mile 2001 Firebird Formula.

As I’m sure all of you know, North Myrtle Beach was ravaged by wildfires over the past week. One of those things you never expect will happen to you. Well, this time it did happen to me. I lost pretty much everything. The fire department woke me up at 2:00am and told me to get out. I had about 5 minutes to gather what I could and leave. The house was on fire by the time I left. The firefighters of North Myrtle Beach saved my life and for that I will be eternally grateful. I know there was nothing they could to do save my house, but we're confident that they were responsible for saving my neighbors house, which sustained only minor siding damage. If it wasn’t for their heroic effort, my neighbors house most likely would have been lost as well.

My house is one of about 21 in my subdivision in this condition and about 65 throughout the Barefoot Resort community.

Although this has been by far the worst experience of my life, I’ve been overwhelmed by the love and generosity of everyone throughout the community. My neighbors and fellow C6 owners / forum members have opened their home to me while mine is being rebuilt. What started as a simple post on the forum about a year ago has grown into what will be a lifetime friendship. I cannot express how grateful I am for their kindness and support. My friends around the community have managed to gather more clothes and things for me in a few days than I probably owned before the fire.

I have also been helping my other neighbors as much as I can. I’m fairly well connected here and had companies lined up to take care of my cleanup and rebuilding within 36 hours of the disaster. Many of my fellow neighbors are only part-time residents here and had no idea where to even start. I’ve been spending more time over the past few days helping them take care of the things they need to do than I’ve been spending on my own situation. I’ve been very glad to help everyone as much as I can and act as the eyes and ears for those who are unable to be here in person.

When I moved into Barefoot Resort three years ago I just thought I was buying a nice house by the beach. At the time I was the only one living in the my subdivision. As the surrounding houses were built, the most amazing group of people have moved in one after the other. It’s almost become an extended family at this point. We’ll all get through this and Barefoot Resort will be better than it was before.

As for the C6, although my insurance settlement was very fair (I don’t feel comfortable disclosing the amount), I’ve decided it’s time to simplify my life a little and move on to something different. I think just one car is more than adequate going forward and it’ll need more than 2 seats. I see a silver Camaro SS with black stripes in the not too distant future. I think I’ll be pretty happy with that.

So, goodbye to everyone. Being a part of this forum community has literally changed my life and the friendships I’ve made here will last a lifetime.

Behave yourselves and enjoy your cars while you can. Thank you for everything. Take care.

Dan
Old 04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very sorry for your loss! Best of luck and I hope we see you here again someday soon!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Dan.... so sorry. You see this stuff on the news but never put a face to it. I know what everyone is going to say..."At least you weren't harmed" but I know what kind of financial blow it is. Hang in there...you are in our prayers and hopefully you'll be cruisin again.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

WOW! I have no words except I am sorry for your loss. As you said your life is more valuable than any possessions. I hope you and your family get back on your feet soon and maybe someday you will be back in a Vette but just because the Vette is gone doesn't mean you cannot hang out here.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:45 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

No need to go any where ...
Best of luck
And keep us posted .....
Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Whether you own a Corvette or not you are always welcome here.

Best of luck to you and I hope things go as well as possible for you.
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm real sorry for your loss, obviously more than just your Vette. All the best!
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Hey I am sorry about your misfortune. My prayers go out to you and the multitude of others who have lost things in this situation. But this doesnt have to be your last post either. Once a corvette brother always a corvette brother. And I hope you re-build and things work out of you and every one else who was affected by this disaster.

Peter
Old 04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

I wish I had the words to tell you how sorry I am that that happened to you. I'm glad you got out safe. Good luck for the future. As a FF I see things like this on a regular basis and it really puts life in perspective. Cars and things are nice but what really matters is your family and health!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Just because the cars are gone does not mean you can't be a part of the Forum.

Good luck with the rebuilding process.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:49 PM
c6chaz
Burning Brakes

sorry! god bless in future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for your loss. I am sure everything will work out. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by pewter99

WOW! I have no words except I am sorry for your loss. As you said your life is more valuable than any possessions. I hope you and your family get back on your feet soon and maybe someday you will be back in a Vette but just because the Vette is gone doesn't mean you cannot hang out here.

Originally Posted by pTr73
Hey I am sorry about your misfortune. My prayers go out to you and the multitude of others who have lost things in this situation. But this doesnt have to be your last post either. Once a corvette brother always a corvette brother. And I hope you re-build and things work out of you and every one else who was affected by this disaster.

Peter
Stick around. You are still welcome to post here. My C6 was totalled just over a year ago and they still havent gotten rid of me in OT.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the vette is the least of your worries. glad you're ok. good luck getting resettled.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan, few words can express how I feel about your loss. I wish you the very best and know you will rebound. It must be very difficult and my hopes and prayers are with you and your family.

Hope to see you back on the forum with a C6 someday. Take care and good luck.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Very sad news.

Glad you and your family got out safely..................sometimes, you don't.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Very sorry to hear about your loss, this is truly something nobody can fathom until it happens. This is one of my biggest fears, losing my house and cars and everything in both. Second only to losing any member of my family. Glad you are safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodbye Corvette Forum – A Little Long and Very Sad

Old 04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pewter99

Old 04-26-2009, 03:58 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

OMG! I'm so sorry to see this but VERY HAPPY YOU GOT OUT IN TIME!
I know this is really cliche' but THINGS can be replaced, you and your family can't.

This forum has made many of us some wonderful friends over the years.
Great that the friends you have made here are helping you out.

With your attitude and outlook considering the terrible circumstances your dealing with, we sure can use you here, Corvette or not.

Either way, GOOD LUCK and Be Well
Old 04-26-2009, 04:01 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Shocking! Very sorry for your loss but it sounds like you will come out of this in fine shape. Bless you for helping others at the same time you are enduring such a catastrophe. Don't go away, stick around and chime in. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Goodbye Corvette Forum – A Little Long and Very Sad