C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sway bar install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 PM
jccarr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sway bar install question

Just installed the z51 bars on my 08 F55. I ordered the kit from Fichtner Chevy, prompt good service. The kit included 2 bars and 4 rubber bushings. The back 2 bushings were in a bag that looked to have a lubricant on the rubber. The front bushings were in a bag but were dry with no lubricant. The question, should there be a lubricant on the front bushings, and if so what type?
Haven't driven it enough to comment on the handling but the ride does seem stiffer for whatever reason.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes there should be lubricant. It should have came with the bushings.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

My understanding is that only the polyurethane bushings need lube because they are very solid. If these are the black rubber bushings, then I don't think it is required because the rubber moves with the turn of the bar and absorbs the movement within the rubber itself. With the hard poly bushings, the bar actually turns against the surface of the bushing, so lube is needed.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
jccarr
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
My understanding is that only the polyurethane bushings need lube because they are very solid. If these are the black rubber bushings, then I don't think it is required because the rubber moves with the turn of the bar and absorbs the movement within the rubber itself. With the hard poly bushings, the bar actually turns against the surface of the bushing, so lube is needed.
I have the black rubber bushings. I want to make sure I have it right. thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Z51 and dropped the rear sway bar (center bushings only) for an exhaust install. I believe there was no sign of lube nor did I add lube. I would agree that the rubber bushings don't need lube.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It certainly can't hurt to put a little grease on the bar where the bushings contact it....
Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 AM
SvetteC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this doesn't answer your question but now that your a pro at changing your sways you might want to add poly bushings instead of stock. They compress less and add to the performance of the new sways. Very cheap mod.

PS they come with Lub
Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jccarr
I have the black rubber bushings. I want to make sure I have it right. thanks for the info.
Opps my mistake. The rubber bushings don't need lubricant only the poly bushings. You should consider getting those. Only $30 and they don't give as much as the rubber ones.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Don't use petro based grease on the rubber bushings. It will degrade the rubber. Use a silicone based lube if you want to lube the bushings. And, by the way,,, Z51 bars on F55,,,
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default My GM OEM bushing (both front and back) came prelubed in bags from GM Parts.

Originally Posted by jccarr
Just installed the z51 bars on my 08 F55. I ordered the kit from Fichtner Chevy, prompt good service. The kit included 2 bars and 4 rubber bushings. The back 2 bushings were in a bag that looked to have a lubricant on the rubber. The front bushings were in a bag but were dry with no lubricant. The question, should there be a lubricant on the front bushings, and if so what type?
Haven't driven it enough to comment on the handling but the ride does seem stiffer for whatever reason.
AutoZone has a small enevelop size card for $5 with 3 small tubes of "Suspension Grease". As noted above, my GM OEM bushing came PRElubed (both front and back) in a bag from GM Parts. Note: this is a special lube; very,very sticky and thick! You will want to drive Magnetic Ride in "Tour" on bouncy roads, and "Sport" on SMOOTH roads; if not, on sweeps with power, rear end can jump out in "Sport". Otherwise, you will love them, F55 standard setup is too "rolly". Now at least you can be competitive with Z51's and Z06's; and you will get "precision steering".

PS: Now you have a "Z55" or even better, a "Baby ZR1", please NO flames.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 04-21-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
jccarr
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. This afternoon I loosened up all the bushings with weight on the wheels and retightened to make sure they were not preloaded from installing them with on the lift. I was thinking with the clamp up on the front bushings there may be no rotation just rubber twisting. It probably did not do a thing but it made me feel better.

I did check the old bushings and the front ones seemed dry but had worked into a smooth slick inner surface. The rears had a tacky substance that felt more like glue than lube.

Get notified of new replies

To sway bar install question

Quick Reply: sway bar install question