C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C6 running bad ,need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by lectricman
Dealer topped off tank when i picked it up,Chevy dealer says he read a lean code on the left and right bank and believes the cause is a vacuum leak, i only put 110 miles on the car saturday........when it ran ,it ran well.....like an atlas rocket,,,,,,,,mustangs and challengers beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It sounds like they might be on to something. The weak gas the dealer put in probably didn't help much. Remember the break-in procedures when you do get it back otherwise you might have some real annoying problems later on.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Huuuuuuuuuum

I don't think its anything major,but it is downer on a brand new vette,,,,,,hope its just gas cap gasket ...i would hate lose faith in my dream car.. By the way its atomic orange 3lt,dual mode exhuast,z51 ,chrome wheels and its fast...........
toooooo fast right now!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM
lectricman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the vette back today,,,,,runs great,,,the problem was a faulty fuel pump gasket,the gasket was pinched between the retaining ring. The tech at Courtesy chevy on hwy50 in Orlando really did a good troubleshooting job,,,,,
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
acf5678
Instructor

Good to hear...

What happened to quality control?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What a laugh, GM quality control, why do you think they have problems now?

Originally Posted by acf5678
Good to hear...

What happened to quality control?
What a laugh, that is part of their problem, poor quality control!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Bixby Bandit
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The green pump in Europe could very well be gasoline not diesel and he would have grabbed the right pump. I was driving a VW diesel in Germany and reached for the GREEN pump, started to pump and then realized I had the gasoline pump in my hand no the diesel. This could have been a very costly mistake.

So beware of the Green Pump based on where you are!!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Got the vette back today,,,,,runs great,,,the problem was a faulty fuel pump gasket,the gasket was pinched between the retaining ring. The tech at Courtesy chevy on hwy50 in Orlando really did a good troubleshooting job,,,,,
Originally Posted by NYC6
Don't jump to conclusions, put a code reader on it tommorow and see what she says. Keep us updated.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM
allhans
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way its atomic orange 3lt,dual mode exhuast,z51 ,chrome wheels and its fast...........
Sounds like mine! You better stay over in Orlando.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
LSTHREE
Instructor

Just curious about the siphoning question. Don't the two tanks self level by the way of a pump? Could you siphon the majority of the gas out if this true. Just a hypo ???. I realize his problem is already fixed. Inquirying minds want to know!! dkf
Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe, Glad to hear you got it fixed !!!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 AM
GaryW
Instructor

Originally Posted by flor
Hi, got mine two weeks ago and drove it from england to the netherlands through france and belgium. Tanked some gas in belgium and witin a couple of minutes the CEL came on. It kept popping up but after filling her up for the second time it was getting less (CEL)
Now it allmost doesn't happen anymore. Think the gas in belgium wasn't ok, didn't now at that time the car was sensitive for cheap fuel.
Must admit i had no driving problems just the CEL with codes P0172 and P0175.
Good luck with your problem and indeed the torque is amazing
Hi Flor. So you're one of the mainland Europeans taking away all our Vettes Only kidding, but I think 8 out of the 10 Vettes sold new in the UK in March were then taken across the water... Not surprised given the exchange rate and the crazy prices people are asking in the Netherlands. Did you get yours from Stratstones?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 AM
flor
Intermediate

Hi Gary, got mine from Tom Falconer at Claremont Corvette. Very pleasant guy to buy a car from. The car is great, except from the cel but i'm allmost sure it came from cheap belgium fuel. Didn't see it come back for a week now. And it was very cheap compared to the ones for sale in the netherlands.
I'm surprised there are still a couple of them for sale in England, i think most europeans don't know that they are all LHD.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LSTHREE
Just curious about the siphoning question. Don't the two tanks self level by the way of a pump? Could you siphon the majority of the gas out if this true. Just a hypo ???. I realize his problem is already fixed. Inquirying minds want to know!! dkf
bump.

oz
Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 PM
lectricman
Instructor

Been runnin the vette for 2 days now ,have about 550 miles on it and all is well, this car is a constant learning / driving experience,,,,, still can't believe i have one in the garage( sick part is i open the door from the kitchen to the garage just to look at it) like a kid in a candy store,,,,,,,oh by the way they changed out the latches on my acrylic top(recall) no mo squeaks,,,,and made my dual mode exhuast louder by removing the fuse under the glove box( no error codes ,just a deeper rumble all the time)))))
Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM
lectricman
Instructor

UPDATE 4/9/09
i now have 1200 miles on the car and it has run great until today, as i have last posted the car acted up at 300 miles and a faulty fuel pump gasket was to blame....ran the car today around 40 miles and it went into that limp home mode(sputtering and no power)so i drive to the gas station ( 1/2 tank when problem occurred) filled it to the rim and the car ran fine for about 30 miles then acted up again .Filled it again,this time it took 1.2 gallons and it ran fine.
Does this make sense? anyone have any ideas ? is it sucking in air from some place ? i will bring it back to the dealer again.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:56 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

What's the built date?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:04 PM
lectricman
Instructor

It says 4 /08 on the inside jamb of the drivers door.

Get notified of new replies

To New C6 running bad ,need advice

Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM
lectricman
Instructor

Anyone have this happen to them?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:10 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Yeah I did. Bought a low miler once that was exposed to the summer/winter elements outside (not garaged).
Condensation builds up in the tank over time and/or the fuel level is inadequate to keep the fuel pump cool when driving. That's why they sell stabilizer products for those that sit it out.

Anyhew, it was a long tow and fuel pump recon + new gasket for me. That's why I wondered how long yours was sitting in Orlando's sun & humidity. Of course, most attached garages are much hotter there in the summer than outside shade. My garage is free standing with good ventilation.

Another explanation could be quality control. I'm sure there are others too.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

codes you are seeing could also mean a MAF sensor problem. if its not bad fuel, check to see if there is a space larger then 1/8" between the bumper support and the lower shroud in the engine bay - directly below the air intake. if so, try taping the area with metal ac tape and while you are at it, do the holes in the bumper support as well. finally, use a good quality gas like Chevron. I had same issues with my '08 (like 8 CEL events!) and this is what fixed it for me. has to do with air flow into and through the MAF sensor.

Quick Reply: New C6 running bad ,need advice