C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering fluid question ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
dachy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering fluid question ?

I was hearing hissing sound from the engine compartment, it sounded like a bad bearing / pulley, but then I checked my steering fluid reservoir and it's almost at the bottom. The dipstick shows @ 1/4 in. mark. Is this normal, where did the fluid go? I have no leaks. I don't remember when was the last time I checked, but still isn't it strange? My '05 has @ 23K miles.
Anyway do we have to use GM steering fluid, or is there alternative ATF D4, etc.? Thnx!!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dachy
I was hearing hissing sound from the engine compartment, it sounded like a bad bearing / pulley, but then I checked my steering fluid reservoir and it's almost at the bottom. The dipstick shows @ 1/4 in. mark. Is this normal, where did the fluid go? I have no leaks. I don't remember when was the last time I checked, but still isn't it strange? My '05 has @ 23K miles.
Anyway do we have to use GM steering fluid, or is there alternative ATF D4, etc.? Thnx!!
The only way you can lose PS fluid is if there is a leak. The level will drop when cold and rise when hot.

The correct PS fluid is:
GM Power Steering Fluid, GM Part No. U.S. 89021184 (or equivalent).

Last edited by calemasters; 04-15-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
dachy
Instructor

Originally Posted by calemasters
The only way you can lose PS fluid is if there is a leak. The level will drop when cold and rise when hot.

The correct PS fluid is:
GM Power Steering Fluid, GM Part No. U.S. 89021184 (or equivalent).
Wouldn't I see fluid on my garage floor if there was a leak? Car was hot when I checked the level. I guess the only way to find out is to add fluid and wait what happens.
Thanks for your input!!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

If you have a leak, normally it seems like you would see some fluid on the floor. I suppose that since the system is not under pressure while in the garage (little or no steering input) there may not be much evidence. If there is a leak, it may more evident when the system is under high pressure, such as during a full turn lock.

Sometimes, if there were some air in the system, and the air bleed out, the fluid level would drop.

Last edited by calemasters; 04-15-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with calemasters about the air in the system, that has been released, therefore causing the fluid to go low. Add more power steering fluid to it. It shouldn't go down anymore. Just make sure that the engine isn't running. as the pump will draw the fluid some.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If it was that low when it was hot, then its REALLY low! Temp sensitive just like auto trans fluid. The dipstick has a temp mark on it. There's nothing special about power steering fluid...any brand will be fine. Just go to WalMart and get some. Its not something special like Dexron LS gear oil. Do not overfill it, but pay attention to what the mark on the stick says..
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
dachy
Instructor

Thank you all for your help!!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 AM
dachy
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
If it was that low when it was hot, then its REALLY low! Temp sensitive just like auto trans fluid. The dipstick has a temp mark on it. There's nothing special about power steering fluid...any brand will be fine. Just go to WalMart and get some. Its not something special like Dexron LS gear oil. Do not overfill it, but pay attention to what the mark on the stick says..
Just to make sure ... is this Dexron III type or different ... or even something synthetic? I read somwhere that the Dexron III or ATF is not recommended? Any advise?
I went to 2 parts stores and they are not sure if it's synthetic or regular, if so what type Dexron II or III or else .. ?
I visited Chevrolet / Opel dealer and they don't know $hit about Corvettes. (BTW: I'm in EU)

Last edited by dachy; 04-16-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
dachy
Instructor

Anybody ... pls ?
Is GM power-steering fluid mineral based like Mercedes or BMW ?

[I checked in archives, but there is no subject regarding this issue]

Last edited by dachy; 04-16-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

NO, ATF and PS fluid can be interchanged in an emergency, but what you need is just "power steering fluid". Prestone, Castrol etc etc all make it and there is nothing special about it, so no reason to use any particular brand. I don't know about Europe, but here, any auto parts store has three or four different brands of simple "power steering fluid". It is clear vs red for Dexron.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:47 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This exact thing happened to me on my 05. I never checked it cause I thought hell its a brand new car it shouldnt burn power steering fluid. But one day I was doing all the fluids and I checked and man it was low. I just use the good brand from the auto parts store. I dont think there is anything special about power steering fluid. I check it about once a month now.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
dachy
Instructor

Originally I’m from NY - Queens … [I just moved to EU due to my job], so I know about the brands of power steering fluid. I used to own Mercedes which used mineral based ps-fluid which couldn’t be mixed with “red stuff” and therefore I’m a little worried.
Here in europe I can find the same brands - Castrol, Halvoline, etc. but I want to make sure that I buy correct fluid.

This is what I found regarding GM power steering fluid:
An amber colored, light-bodied mineral oil that contains a specially developed additive package to provide good performance in power steering systems ..... etc.

It sure looks like it’s based on mineral oil ?

Sorry for a stupid questions over and over again :-)
Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 PM
danl72
Race Director

Originally Posted by rdm1465
I agree with calemasters about the air in the system, that has been released, therefore causing the fluid to go low. Add more power steering fluid to it. It shouldn't go down anymore. Just make sure that the engine isn't running. as the pump will draw the fluid some.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

OK, I looked on Castrol's website and they say that their "Castrol GT Power Steering Fluid" is also OK for Dexron applications:

"Warranty and Protection Requirements
• Exceeds performance requirements of GM9985010 (Part No. 1050017 and 1052884), Chrysler MS-5931 (Hydro boost
systems), Saab (Part No. 45-30 09-800) and Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26 (Part No. ZVW 239-902). Suitable for use in
applications where DEXRON, DEXRON-II, DEXRON-IID, DEXRON-III or MERCON is required."

So hopefully this will help....sounds mineral based to me...

Amber colored is what you want in Corvette

Get notified of new replies

To Steering fluid question ?

Quick Reply: Steering fluid question ?