C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers not taking you seriously because of age

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
razorxtr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers not taking you seriously because of age

I am finding this more and more common.
Dealers not taking me seriously when i walk in looking at Vettes. When i ask for a test drive or serious questions they think i just want to joy ride and thats all.

I'm in my early 20's and pretty serious about purchasing a vette (Im not gonna buy the first i see on impulse so i want to compare first). Also the follow up is pretty bad i have to send multiple emails to get any response. Do they just think i cant have the money or credit because of the economy??? Probably cause of my age???

I would think Dealers would want to kiss my a$$ in these times...
Have you experience this when purchasing your vette???
Any advice?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Windward08
Racer

Fill out your profile. Where do you live? Sounds like you have had a bad experience with dealers. (other post about C6 sucks) I'm sure everyone here can direct you to good dealers in your area.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Not all dealers are created equal. Some are good, some are bad.

If you tell us where you are located (fill in your profile) someone may be able to point you to a good dealer OR preferably a Forum dealer in your neighborhood.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Always had issues.

Bought 2 NSXs and Viper in College as well as many other cars and ALWAYS had issues...LOL but, it was fun as hell since I knew more about the cars than them..
Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 PM
sox3
Instructor

I know exactly what your saying. My son is 27 and gets the cold shoulder in a dealership. They figure hes a tire kicker or not able to buy. The last one couldn't beleive his credit score was so high. He will think twice next time as my son walked out to buy elsewhere.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

There are good and bad things about being young.

There are good and bad things about being older.

That's just how life is. As the others have said - somone can probably point you to a good dealership in your ares.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:54 PM
razorxtr
Advanced

Originally Posted by RicK T
Not all dealers are created equal. Some are good, some are bad.

If you tell us where you are located (fill in your profile) someone may be able to point you to a good dealer OR preferably a Forum dealer in your neighborhood.
Filled in profile. Ive visited EVS and their service was impressive. I am awaiting for new stock / vettes to get in. But other local dealers have been POS so far...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's too bad that dealers aren't taking some buyer's seriously. But looking at it from their point of view, they probably get a lot of tire-kickers and dreamers among the younger buyers that just waste their time. If you walk in there with a no-nonsense attitude, and prepared with your documentation they are likely to take you seriously. I did all my business over the phone, and when I found the one I wanted, I put in a deposit to hold the car, and I was treated professionally, no problems.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Mvfvette1
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by razorxtr
I am finding this more and more common.
Dealers not taking me seriously when i walk in looking at Vettes. When i ask for a test drive or serious questions they think i just want to joy ride and thats all.

I'm in my early 20's and pretty serious about purchasing a vette (Im not gonna buy the first i see on impulse so i want to compare first). Also the follow up is pretty bad i have to send multiple emails to get any response. Do they just think i cant have the money or credit because of the economy??? Probably cause of my age???

I would think Dealers would want to kiss my a$$ in these times...
Have you experience this when purchasing your vette???
Any advice?
If you can afford a new Vette and are seriously looking to buy, I can understand your anger. I think the whole "boy that cried wolf" thing is coming into play here. For every one 20 year old kid that comes and has serious intentions of buying, there are probably 25 kids lying through their teeth, simply looking to take a joy ride. Good or bad economy, judgements have been made based on past experiences with younger people coming in to look at the Vettes. Just try to find a saleperson who knows that you are serious.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I still need to take my Vette down to the Pontiac dealer that wouldn't let me test drive a GXP...and I'm 43 with an A+ rating...go figure.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Well there you go....you are in northern Illinois. Not that far from Forum Dealer EVS Chev in Wisconsin. Call Greg or Rick at EVS, see what they have and take a drive up there to see. We just went through this with someone else in the Chicago area. EVS will take care of you.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same experience with a dealer. I told them to kiss my you know what and that they just lost a deal. I bought my C6 elsewhere. It just depends on the dealership and who runs it.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand your frustration has happened to me when I younger,it seems nobody takes you serious,recently I was thinking about a Z06 and after talking to the salesman,he wanted to know the payoff on my car told him the car is been paid for,so with my car 05 1sb z51 9500 miles I would have to give them 50k for the Z06,lets just say it was a good thing there was a difibulator near bye,I could only imagine if I had negative equity in the car,then he told me when I get some money together to come see him,so I contacted a forum vendor and would have saved about 4k,still couldnt stomach the pain
Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 929 Likes on 617 Posts

I've found that it depends on what you drive. Before I got my Corvette I got different responses from some dealers based on what I was driving, my Saab didn't fare as well as my mom's BMW.

The dealer I bought from, was nice to me even though I was young and wasn't looking to buy right away (I started my research 6 months before I bought). So you've got to find someone who wants your business.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvfvette1
If you can afford a new Vette and are seriously looking to buy, I can understand your anger. I think the whole "boy that cried wolf" thing is coming into play here. For every one 20 year old kid that comes and has serious intentions of buying, there are probably 25 kids lying through their teeth, simply looking to take a joy ride. Good or bad economy, judgements have been made based on past experiences with younger people coming in to look at the Vettes. Just try to find a saleperson who knows that you are serious.

Bringing in a pre-approval goes along way also. I never had a problem taking a test drive though in any car at any age. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't be so aggressive so I can actually shop first.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

As a 30 year old that looks like he is 18 (i got carded in a my penthouse suite by roomservice on my honeymoon) I run into this often. Best thing to do is pre-contact the internet manager. Then when you show up be affable and say this is the car im looking for at this price. Be no BS and respect is thrown your way usually. You also have to understand these people get paid for sales and not window shoppers.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

it may have something to do with being burned before but I feel your pain. I've gone through this for most of my life.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealers not taking you seriously because of age

Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 PM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

happen to me as well but with a dodge stealth r/t turbo in the 90's

well i ended up getting one at another dealer and i made sure i went to the first dealer to show him
Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 PM
rgaicki
Cruising

I'm your age. I went to EVS last month and drove home my 08 vette. Never felt a hint of ageism. The only thing that might have happened was that I originally talked with Greg but he passed me on to a younger sales guy, but don't know if that is common or not. I was ready to buy and I clearly let them know that. I think they got the clue when they asked me if I had any questions and I told them with two months of research that I could probably teach them something.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a 45 yr old multi-millionaire who wears jeans and a tee-shirt. He has the same issues with car dealers. Sometimes it is the way you represent yourself. Show respect and often you will receive it back.

Quick Reply: Dealers not taking you seriously because of age