C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette

Since I had given up on the GM Personal Audio Link (PAL), and I was in the market for an Ipod adapter for my own Corvette Z06, I began searching the forum to see if I could learn which one is "the best", so I could buy one. I quickly found that some owners were happy with whichever unit they bought and other owners were disappointed with those same units. So I decided to get hold of all of them and try them out and do a detailed review and comparison.

I received models from five manufacturers:
1. The GM Advanced Ipod Lockpick from Coastal Electronics.
2. The P.I.E. GM12-POD/S
3. The USA Spec PA11-Vette
4. The Scosche AXIPCL2
5. The Peripheral PXAMG

I installed each one in my 2007 Z06 with Navigation, XM Radio, and a factory external 6 CD changer. Most models are compatible with not only this set of options but also the standard radio with 6CD changer and with or without XM radio.

I found the results interesting, and I'm hoping it will be useful to the many C6 Vette owners who are also considering an Ipod adapter for their car.

All of these adapters will provide high quality audio from the Ipod to their sound system, and a single cable will not only connect the Ipod to the audio system but will also keep the Ipod battery charged as well. So the solution is very neat indeed. Once connected, you will have access to thousands of songs in your music collection.

Each of the adapters offers limited control of the Ipod at the nav or radio head, including song title and artist name. But each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. The complete review and comparison is at this link:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

It will take a while to get through the long discussion, but conclusions are near the bottom of the page.

For those of you who already have one of these units, I would welcome your comments on my results, and particularly if you find some errors or something I may have left out. I have not had a chance to "live with" these adapters for any length of time, so for those of you with some experience, your comments would be helpful. If there are any errors or omissions, I can easily correct the contents of the website above.

My email address is at the bottom of the website if anyone would care to email me directly.

I hope this is helpful.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 07-11-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
DJones1220
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review, Wish I would have had this before I made my choice of units. Also I recently had my console changed out in my 2005 to the new version and I had the body shop call you for the harness on the selective ride switch and it's worked great. They also used your thread that I provided them for the actual how to install. Your reviews and how to's have been very helpful as this one will also be for many. Thanks for taking the time and providing such great detail.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Ray,

Tremendous effort. Well done and comprehensive review. Thank you as always for taking the time to share your work with the forum. It is always helpful and always appreciated.

I did get your other email. I'm having a hard time getting some of the information but still trying.

Paul
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Paul,

As mentioned in the review, one of the Ipod adapters has a Bluetooth module soon becoming available, but I don't have it yet to test.

The factory solution is likely the cleanest, but depending on the complexity of adding it later, it may or may not be practical.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I swapped in a radio from a 2008, and use the AUX input. Works great.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

GM deserves to go bankrupt for just lying to us all about the PAL! Promised and promised and never delivered.
I got tired of waiting and got a Kenwood head unit with all the bells and whistles when I did my complete BOSE swap out.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYC6
GM deserves to go bankrupt for just lying to us all about the PAL! Promised and promised and never delivered.
I got tired of waiting and got a Kenwood head unit with all the bells and whistles when I did my complete BOSE swap out.
Deserves to go bk? A bit harsh.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kawal
By now, we've all given up on the famous and mysterious "integrated solution" for the Ipod, known as the Personal Audio Link (PAL).

Since I was in the market for an Ipod adapter for my own Corvette Z06, I began searching the forum to see if I could learn which one is "the best", so I could buy one. I quickly found that some owners were happy with whichever unit they bought and other owners were disappointed with those same units. So I decided to get hold of all of them and try them out and do a detailed review and comparison.

I received models from five manufacturers:
1. The GM Advanced Ipod Lockpick from Coastal Electronics.
2. The P.I.E. GM12-POD/S
3. The USA Spec PA11-Vette
4. The Scosche AXIPCL2
5. The Peripheral PXAMG

I installed each one in my 2007 Z06 with Navigation, XM Radio, and a factory external 6 CD changer. Most models are compatible with not only this set of options but also the standard radio with 6CD changer and with or without XM radio.

I found the results interesting, and I'm hoping it will be useful to the many C6 Vette owners who are also considering an Ipod adapter for their car.

All of these adapters will provide high quality audio from the Ipod to their sound system, and a single cable will not only connect the Ipod to the audio system but will also keep the Ipod battery charged as well. So the solution is very neat indeed. Once connected, you will have access to thousands of songs in your music collection.

Each of the adapters offers limited control of the Ipod at the nav or radio head, including song title and artist name. But each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. The complete review and comparison is at this link:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

It will take a while to get through the long discussion, but conclusions are near the bottom of the page.

For those of you who already have one of these units, I would welcome your comments on my results, and particularly if you find some errors or something I may have left out. I have not had a chance to "live with" these adapters for any length of time, so for those of you with some experience, your comments would be helpful. If there are any errors or omissions, I can easily correct the contents of the website above.

My email address is at the bottom of the website if anyone would care to email me directly.

I hope this is helpful.

Ray
Absolutely great. A huge THANKS...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Deserves to go bk? A bit harsh.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

Fantastic write up. You mentioned Bluetooth, but maybe it should be mentioned again that the Peripheral unit will not work with a Bluetooth car. Not only did the iPod not work with my 09, the entire CAR did not work. So I'm stuck with the aux jack until they work the kinks out.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Well done indeed. I installed the PXAMG and have been compleely happy with it. I recently added the Pro-Clip holder and it really works well now. Unfortunately, this setup will not charge an iPhone, only the iPod.

Do any of the other adapters charge the iPhone while it's being used?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 PM
ramrodw30
Pro

Great write up, thanks. This should be a sticky or at least in the FAQ in the Audio section.

Doug
Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
jinkikim
Instructor

Unbelievable Write Up!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for the write up. I have an '08 with Nav and had been holding out for PAL. I may have to go ahead and take the plunge with one of these adapters.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

A fantastic write-up. I still can't figure out why if I went with the stock radio, I get an external input jack, but because I had to pay more for the navigation, I lose the jack.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYC6
Nice job. You are getting your wish.

The radio is not what got me excited about the Vette. Not sure about everyone else. Factory audio is factory audio for the most part.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by SnapperDragon
The radio is not what got me excited about the Vette. Not sure about everyone else. Factory audio is factory audio for the most part.
Holy smokes...you mean this thing has a radio too? But doesn't that interfere with the sound of the engine?

Get notified of new replies

To A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette

Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Not to hijack this thread, but I bought a DLO fm transmitter from Best Buy. Because it was there and for the price I was willing to take a chance on something that looked like a very neat setup and did not require any mods. Besides, I can use it on multiple cars. None of my cars has aux-in, unfortunately.

While there are a lot of negatives with any fm transmitter, this one seemed to be very clear in the vette. Maybe because the car is basically plastic and the antenna is not obstructed much? Don't know.

What is funny about that gadget is that you would think that clear stations would do best as far as sound quality and static, but I find that is not the case.

Anyway, it fits right into the cigarette ligheter and sits just in front/to the right of my shift **** (auto). Charges while playing.

It's not the best, but for the money I am satisfied with it. Some people who complained about sound quality forgot to read the manual on this thing and left it in mono mode and then complained about the sound quality. Lol.

The part that plugs into the cigarette lighter I can see wearing out over time, thouigh. I'll fix that when I need to.

Given all the trade offs, I would buy one of these again. It should probably be priced around 60 bucks, though.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US...8734505_rb.jpg
Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by lander
Holy smokes...you mean this thing has a radio too? But doesn't that interfere with the sound of the engine?

Yeah, my radio has a CD in it of dragstrip launches from real dragsters. This is a very cheap mod for sound as compared to replacing whisper exhaust.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

I also saw a wiring harness that can be bought for GM cars that then provide a jack for ipods. The thing was 150! The good thing is that it lets your steering wheel controls function, if you have those.

I'm not too picky, so that fm transmitter for me works great. The Vette is not my daily driver so the stock base bose radio is OK. The problem of a single CD has been solved by Apple and the iPod (touch) and the fm transmitter combo. Maybe I'm just cheap

Quick Reply: A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette