C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAGS smart fuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Montanajim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CAGS smart fuse

Just a heads-up for anyone thinking about using one of the smart fuses out there available from some vendors to defeat the CAGS; if you have an '08 it will defeat the CAGS, but it will also throw a CAGS code and light the CEL. I tried one last Saturday in place of the regular in-line unit at the solenoid (which worked fine) just to see if it would be as effective and easier to remove for dealer visits. As far as '08s are concerned, at least my '08, it is not a good solution, stay with the tried and true in-line CAGS defeat systems. I had the car serviced later the same day and the dealer had a very hard time getting the code to clear for some reason.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08. Bought the Smart fuse and blew it myself. Replaced the stock fuse and no problems at all. No codes and it works fine. I'm not sure where your problem was but maybe you had a bad Smart fuse. If the Smart fuse isn't working correctly or you just remove the fuse then it will throw a code but I have been running it for about two months with no issues.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Windward08
Racer

I too have an '08 and purchased a smart fuse. Blew it with my battery charger. Installed it and it works fine. No codes no problems.

You must be doing it wrong.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Montanajim
Instructor

You know, I'm not sure where the problem was either. The unit appeared to work fine for about 15 miles of driving. I stopped at the market and when the car re-started it threw the code. I was a half-mile from the dealer so rolled in to diagnose the light (after first stopping the engine to remove the fuse and replace with the standard 10a).

The dealer diagnosed the light was a CAGS code and then had a devil of a time resetting the code...would not clear out, taking five tries with the GM machine. They scoured the car top to bottom looking for a problem and found none so chalked it up to an electrical gremlin that awoke after the long winter nap.

Bad fuse? Maybe, don't know, but I probably won't try a fuse again just in case there is some potential quirk in my '08 that hates the taste of smart fuses. Will just fall back on the under-car harness to the solenoid which worked A-OK for a year with zero trouble and 100% perfect performance. All I wanted was an easier way to return to stock for those, hopefully, infrequent dealer visits.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Gramps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by notslow
Just a heads-up for anyone thinking about using one of the smart fuses out there available from some vendors to defeat the CAGS; if you have an '08 it will defeat the CAGS, but it will also throw a CAGS code and light the CEL. I tried one last Saturday in place of the regular in-line unit at the solenoid (which worked fine) just to see if it would be as effective and easier to remove for dealer visits. As far as '08s are concerned, at least my '08, it is not a good solution, stay with the tried and true in-line CAGS defeat systems. I had the car serviced later the same day and the dealer had a very hard time getting the code to clear for some reason.
Same experience on an '08 Z. Codes were present twice last fall. One time it cleared spontaneously, the second time it was cleared by removing it. Both codes were confirmed by OnStar as "transmission module".
Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

I've had my vendor supplied fuse in for quite a while and no problems.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK 08
I have an 08. Bought the Smart fuse and blew it myself. Replaced the stock fuse and no problems at all. No codes and it works fine. I'm not sure where your problem was but maybe you had a bad Smart fuse. If the Smart fuse isn't working correctly or you just remove the fuse then it will throw a code but I have been running it for about two months with no issues.

Same here
Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by BLACK 08
No problem with my '08 either. I have a year on mine.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Buck Swope
Advanced

The fuses will exhibit different current flow depending on the resistor/LED circuit each has; brand and values seem to differ based on the posts I've read. Maybe the current flow through one is enough to set off a code, and not enough with another?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And by the way, the dealer does not really care if you use an eliminator to defeat CAGS. Has nothing at all to do with warranty.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:42 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No code on my '08 with a self blown smart fuse however one time it still forced me to shift from 1 to 4. Only happened once, but that was with the smart fuse installed. Maybe this mod only works if the resistance of the blown fuse is just right.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
And by the way, the dealer does not really care if you use an eliminator to defeat CAGS. Has nothing at all to do with warranty.
I'm not so sure about that swiftrider08,I had a buddy of mine with a 96 gs back in the day with cags defeat device installed had a transmission failure on the road and had the car towed directly to dealer.When the dealer put the car up on the rack and saw the cags solenoid disconnected with the resistor in harness,they said no to the warranty the cost!! 6k at the time for the tranny to be rebuilt.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
ls3power
Advanced

my 08 did the same thing blown the fuse installed and service light came on, replaced normal fuse and all is well. so i decided to check the resistance of the resistor and it showed opened, i think the way you blow the fuse could also open the resistor so check your blown fuse with a meter and see what you get.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Montanajim
Instructor

Well, after all the feedback I did some checking. The original vendor-supplied fuse is OK, the LED lights up when powered from either side. I noticed, however, that the LED is extremely faint, almost invisible. So I went to O'Reilly's and bought a 2-pack of Littel brand 10a smart fuses for $3. I blew the fuse and checked it for LED function. Both directions it glowed very bright and strong. Put in the new fuse and so far it seems to be working fine, CAGS light comes on but CAGS is defeated. Drove the car around all afternoon starting and stopping the engine several times.

I think the car's computer system checks all the circuits and needs a certain minimum current flow for the test to work properly. Apparently the vendor-supplied fuse is not able to pass the proper amount of current to pass the test so the computer lights the CEL. Anyone having a similar problem might want to look into using the Littel brand of smart fuse.

Thanks to all,

NS
Old 04-13-2009, 01:07 PM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by notslow
Well, after all the feedback I did some checking. The original vendor-supplied fuse is OK, the LED lights up when powered from either side. I noticed, however, that the LED is extremely faint, almost invisible. So I went to O'Reilly's and bought a 2-pack of Littel brand 10a smart fuses for $3. I blew the fuse and checked it for LED function. Both directions it glowed very bright and strong. Put in the new fuse and so far it seems to be working fine, CAGS light comes on but CAGS is defeated. Drove the car around all afternoon starting and stopping the engine several times.

I think the car's computer system checks all the circuits and needs a certain minimum current flow for the test to work properly. Apparently the vendor-supplied fuse is not able to pass the proper amount of current to pass the test so the computer lights the CEL. Anyone having a similar problem might want to look into using the Littel brand of smart fuse.

Thanks to all,

NS
Good news. I'm glad it worked out. Keep us updated if you do have any other issues with it.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Just FYI I own an 09 built last month and I put in the blown smart fuse immediately.
The diagram to follow in the owners manual was a little off as to what fuse did what but I switched it out anyhow with what I thought was the correct location. The light on the dash comes on but the 1-4 is defeated. Works like a charm, so far.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 PM
BRT09
Instructor

Guys,help me out here.I bought the CAGs eliminator from MidAmerica.I have'nt installed it yet.Has anyone had any problems as far as throwing codes,mine is an 09? I think 08 and 09 are the same in that area.

Get notified of new replies

To CAGS smart fuse

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I put mine in on Sunday and I drove the car for about 100 miles with no issues.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem in my '08 Z06 and the blown SmartFuse, 1.5k miles and counting.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Montanajim
Instructor

Originally Posted by BRT09
Guys,help me out here.I bought the CAGs eliminator from MidAmerica.I have'nt installed it yet.Has anyone had any problems as far as throwing codes,mine is an 09? I think 08 and 09 are the same in that area.
If you are using the in-line harness at the transmission solenoid everything should be A-OK with no codes, just way less aggravation when shifting. If you want to try the fuse method you will probably be OK if the fuse passes enough current to fool the computer when it checks the circuit continuity. Get a pack of the Littel brand smart fuses at O'Reilly's auto parts and pop one. Install it and see if it works for you. If it does not, try another brand or use the harness.

Quick Reply: CAGS smart fuse