C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Bulletin 08-06-04-040

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 AM
ro2516
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Service Bulletin 08-06-04-040

My car was at the dealership for some warranty work and I noticed now on the repair statement that a repair was done in conjunction with TSB 08-06-04-040. The repair statement indicates the complaint is that the "Check Engine Light" is on - I didn't complain about that because I had never seen this light on. It goes on to say that the fuel trim lean condition was setting DTCs P0171/P0174. The solution was to "secure upper radiator baffle and install sound deadener pads as required."

Can anybody explain what this actually means? And why the statement says the check engine light was on? (Or was that based on captured fault codes in the ECM?)

I've searched for this TSB but haven't found anything meaningful. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
leatherneck21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsb

I've not herd anything about it...where do you go to find the TSB's?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Service Information
Document ID: 2178889
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-06-04-040: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) - Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0171 and/or P0174 Set (Perform Repair As Outlined) - (Aug 13, 2008)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) -- Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0171 and/or P0174 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment that the check engine light is on.

A scan tool may reveal DTCs P0171 and/or P0174 set in history or current. If the air flow to the air intake/air cleaner assembly is disturbed, the DTCs may be induced.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a gap between the upper radiator air baffle and the bumper beam combined with some beam holes. The gap and holes may cause an air flow disturbance to the air intake/air cleaner assembly. Refer to the pictures below for further clarification.

Correction

This is a picture of the upper radiator air baffle with a large gap that needs to be repaired. Repair the gap in the panel by making sure the retaining clips are properly seated or by installing new retaining clips, P/N 05973400. To access these clips, the vehicle needs to be raised and the three bolts securing the lower radiator air baffle to the bumper beam need to be removed.

This is a picture of a upper radiator air baffle with a good fit (2) but the bumper beam holes (1) need to be covered with a good adhesive type patch (sound deadener patch) or equivalent. Sound deadener patches can be obtained from Kent Automotive*. Contact Kent Automotive at 1-888-YES-KENT (www.kent-automotive.com) to obtain Kent P/N P20617.

Remove the air cleaner assembly for access. Clean the bumper beam as necessary and install the patch so the holes (1) are covered. No air can flow through these holes.

Evaluate the lean condition after the upper radiator air baffle gap has been repaired and the bumper beam holes have been covered.

Note: Any modifications to the air intake/air cleaner assembly must be removed before attempting repairs for the lean condition.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty
Material Allowance

Retainer, Radiator Air Baffle
--

P20617
Kent Automotive -- Sound Deadener Patch Pads
$7.00

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J7538*
Repair to Correct Fuel Trim Lean Condition Setting DTCs P0171/P0174
0.6 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by calemasters; 04-04-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 AM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default TSBs

here's a link. http://www.nhtsa.gov/
The following users liked this post:
Roodog (10-10-2020)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 AM
ro2516
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

calemasters: Thank you! You answered my question and then some. I appreciate it!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:58 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Damn!That's probably why my CEL came on after the air raid install!!!
Old 05-07-2020, 01:22 PM
z06roadkiller
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default This fixed my Z06 with a Halltech CAI

For any C6 getting the dreaded P0171 and P0174 lean code this is certainly a must to look at as a possible fix. My engine code was very sporadic in that when I cleared it with the OBD2 reader it might come back right way and other times it could be a week plus. I did all the usual cleaning of the MAF, the Halltech CAI, and even replaced both upstream O2 sensors to no avail. Note:I got a several tips from several forums and people that long tube headers can "burn-out" the O2 prematurely....but this was not the case (and I have barely over 25K mileage).

After finding a similar article on another forum I ran into this post and fix. I can say that my gap was over 1 inch wide along the air baffle and front cross support. Also the two retaining clips were missing. What I think happened is the HallTech air filter is wider than stock and forced the gap to open and eventually loosen the retaining clips off. Therefore, my fix was going to Autozone and getting the closest retaining clip size (which worked), and then putting HVAC foil tape underneath between the plastic baffle and steel cross member to secure it long term. Sorry about not posting pics but I forget to take pictures.

So far 3 weeks and zero codes!

Last edited by z06roadkiller; 05-07-2020 at 01:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by z06roadkiller:
Euthymicone (05-08-2020), sleepingcougar (01-28-2023)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:13 PM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by z06roadkiller
For any C6 getting the dreaded P0171 and P0174 lean code this is certainly a must to look at as a possible fix. My engine code was very sporadic in that when I cleared it with the OBD2 reader it might come back right way and other times it could be a week plus. I did all the usual cleaning of the MAF, the Halltech CAI, and even replaced both upstream O2 sensors to no avail. Note:I got a several tips from several forums and people that long tube headers can "burn-out" the O2 prematurely....but this was not the case (and I have barely over 25K mileage).

After finding a similar article on another forum I ran into this post and fix. I can say that my gap was over 1 inch wide along the air baffle and front cross support. Also the two retaining clips were missing. What I think happened is the HallTech air filter is wider than stock and forced the gap to open and eventually loosen the retaining clips off. Therefore, my fix was going to Autozone and getting the closest retaining clip size (which worked), and then putting HVAC foil tape underneath between the plastic baffle and steel cross member to secure it long term. Sorry about not posting pics but I forget to take pictures.

So far 3 weeks and zero codes!
Thanks for this! I missed this bulletin in all of the research I have done. These codes have driven me crazy and sounds exactly what I have been fighting. No codes for ages, then I got on it pretty good on the interstate and there it was again. Air disturbance makes sense due to my rate of speed and acceleration. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Euthymicone; 05-08-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:54 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Back in late 2007, my new 2008 base coupe would throw the lean codes regularly. In a follow up with GM and discussions with BG engineers they had me tape the bumper holes and the lower seam of the air box with HVAC tape and then switch fuel to Chevron. 12+ years later still no issue. I must have been a test mule for the ultimate TSB.
The following users liked this post:
sleepingcougar (01-28-2023)
Old 10-26-2022, 12:27 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to give this one another bump for any new owners out there. I've been having occasional lean codes in my 08. This resolved my issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Bulletin 08-06-04-040

Quick Reply: Service Bulletin 08-06-04-040