C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterless car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Waterless car wash?

New water restrictions have been imposed in my area that prohibit car washing. Has anyone tried the "waterless car wash" products?? Does it really work or is it snake oil??
Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Payton 63' and 06'
Instructor

Location: Surgeon General never said anything about smokin' tires! Pigeon Forge, Tn.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vette.guy
New water restrictions have been imposed in my area that prohibit car washing. Has anyone tried the "waterless car wash" products?? Does it really work or is it snake oil??
I don't know what it is, but I had a neighbor show me his products from "Luster" and it worked awesome. I have never used it personally though.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:08 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Nope, waterless products will never touch my car for cleaning.

Elmer
Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

I have never washed my 05 with a hose in the past 4 years. I use Poor Boys waterless car once a week and the car always looks good. Craigster one of the members put me on to it. Most car care products vendors carry it . I buy a gallon at about $38.00 and it lasts about 1 year. Poor Boys is actually a wash and detailer combined. It can't be used on a real dirty car.
I just spray it on ,let it sit for a few seconds and wipe it off with a microfibre towel. You can buy a quart bottle for about $12.00 or so. There are other waterless car washes available, but I have only used Poor Boys.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Nope, waterless products will never touch my car for cleaning.

Elmer
Reason??
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

Originally Posted by c6vette
I have never washed my 05 with a hose in the past 4 years. I use Poor Boys waterless car once a week and the car always looks good. Craigster one of the members put me on to it. Most car care products vendors carry it . I buy a gallon at about $38.00 and it lasts about 1 year. Poor Boys is actually a wash and detailer combined. It can't be used on a real dirty car.
I just spray it on ,let it sit for a few seconds and wipe it off with a microfibre towel. You can buy a quart bottle for about $12.00 or so. There are other waterless car washes available, but I have only used Poor Boys.
If it's the water that carries all the surface grit away from the car, why doesn't the towel you use with the Poor Boys stuff simply rub all that junk into the finish? How does it work?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 PM
T's C6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glacierbay2
If it's the water that carries all the surface grit away from the car, why doesn't the towel you use with the Poor Boys stuff simply rub all that junk into the finish? How does it work?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY Events Coordinator

Default Yes!

Dri wash n Guard is all I use. I leaves a brilliant finish.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Are you kidding? How many professional detailers use this stuff? NONE! That should tell the story right there. I would never dry wash a car. Just take it somewhere and have it washed in the winter, you will pay big time in the spring when the sun is bright and all those scratches show up. Don't do it!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY Events Coordinator

Ok. You got me. For a dirty Corvette the carwash with a wand is good. Then Dri Wash n Guard for the finish after that.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use DWG exclusively on my Challenger and plan to use it on the black Vette. It does a really good job. You can use it inside the garage. Spray it on, let it sit to emulsify the soil and grit on the car, then remove it. Quick and easy. I carry an extra bottle in the cars to last minute detail at car shows.

if you are skeptical, you can always use it in a nonconspicious spot or use it on another non-Vette car - just to see if it works for you.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
mgtr
Pro

Originally Posted by mongooseC6

if you are skeptical, you can always use it in a nonconspicious spot or use it on another non-Vette car - just to see if it works for you.
Fabulous idea! I will try it on my wife's car first.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Dry washing your car = Big time swirl marks all over your clearcoat.

You have to use water to wash all that dirt off before you use any kind of towel on the car or youll just pick up all that grit and turn your microfiber/cloth into very fine sandpaper.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

my car isnt a DD so it doesnt get dirty really, i dust it off and if there is dirt or very dusty i use adams detail spray. Been doing this method for years with my other hot rods (one had black stripes) and no complaints about scratches yet.
i hate using water for the rust reason, Rotors and the like. To each there own. paul
Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Waterless car wash does not necessarily mean dry washing your car. It means you don't drag out the bucket and hose. There are plenty of professional detailers who use products such as Poorboy's Spray & Wipe, Werkstatt Quick Wash, Optimum No Rinse, Protect All Quick and Easy Wash....

I personally use Optimum No Rinse 95% of the time. It is rinseless, not waterless.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Adam's Detail Spray & Microfiber clothes, as long as the car is clean. As long as you do it every couple of days. My car is garaged & I cover it at work less than 20 miles away. In addition, I Calif Car Duster it after I get to every destination.

BTW: I have a black car
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

man i didnt know that hope i dont get a ticket i knew we could only water grass once a week so should be able to wash the car once a week and all the do it your self car washes are still ope and im right down the street from you

Get notified of new replies

To Waterless car wash?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM
muskaroxs
Instructor

Optimum No Rinse every week and my car shines! My friend with his F355 uses the same stuff as well with great results.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spin-doktor
Dry washing your car = Big time swirl marks all over your clearcoat.

You have to use water to wash all that dirt off before you use any kind of towel on the car or youll just pick up all that grit and turn your microfiber/cloth into very fine sandpaper.
Remember there are tons of older guys here on the forum. Maybe they can't see the swirl marks, but it doesn't mean they aren't there. Dry wash is a really bad idea.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by hanny
my car isnt a DD so it doesnt get dirty really, i dust it off and if there is dirt or very dusty i use adams detail spray. Been doing this method for years with my other hot rods (one had black stripes) and no complaints about scratches yet.
i hate using water for the rust reason, Rotors and the like. To each there own. paul
I rarely wash the Vette or the CTS. Normally, I use a Cali duster and detail spray and lots of clean rags. If it is really dirty, I'll wash.

Note to the enviro-wackos - No water means dead grass. Dead grass means more CO2 in the air for more global warming () How's that for unintended consequences!

Quick Reply: Waterless car wash?