C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screwed on warranty by government

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
poulosd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default screwed on warranty by government

I thought that the government was going to cover warranties if GM goes bankrupt. However, today after reading more details, the government will back warranties on GM vehicles purchased during the "restructuring period" which officially begins March 30, 2009. So the rest of us are screwed if GM goes bankrupt! If you bought a vette last week then the government is saying "too bad!" My vette is less than a year old........I hope it is very reliable since I don't see any way GM is going to avoid going under.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

If you are being screwed, it's not by the government, it's by the management of GM. You didn't buy your car from the gov't, did you?

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 03-31-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by poulosd
I thought that the government was going to cover warranties if GM goes bankrupt. However, today after reading more details, the government will back warranties on GM vehicles purchased during the "restructuring period" which officially begins March 30, 2009. So the rest of us are screwed if GM goes bankrupt! If you bought a vette last week then the government is saying "too bad!" My vette is less than a year old........I hope it is very reliable since I don't see any way GM is going to avoid going under.
If this is the case it's just more of the same run around we hear from Goverment these days. They must think we a lot stupider than we really are.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
If you are being screwed, it's not by the government, it's by the management of GM.

It sucks for us all but just imagine the GM employees who have put years of service in and are losing every thing.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm beginning to think Corvette owners have an inherent need to whine about something...Anything.....
Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are being screwed, it's not by the government, it's by the management of GM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
poulosd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Modshak......how is the potential for having your warranty completely gone whining???? I do not think having to pay thousands of dollars for repair to a new car is whining but is a financial burden that none of us expected.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If this happens I'll be able to start modding right away. No need to worry about voiding my warranty!! See there is a silver lining in every cloud. Just got to look for it! Cymbalta helps!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

The government backing indeed only applies to those vehicles sold during the restructing period - - but even if GM uses a bankruptcy to shed debt and restructure contracts, there's no evidence at this point that they wouldn't honor existing vehicle warranties.

It is illogical, i Think, to assume GM would automatically alienate potential future buyers by rejecting warranty claims - - - I think you'll see those programs remain in tact. I don't know however whether they hold their own paper for extended warranties or whether they sell it off to a third party - - the latter may be an issue.

Certainly, I may be incorrect, but I don't think we're there yet as afar as definitive action on existing warranties.

Just my .02 - - -

Last edited by CQRT; 03-31-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Do you really think the goovernment is going to let this happen.....scare tactics, my friend, scare tactics.....If you have even been in the car business you will know what I am talking about. Do you have any idea how much massive chaos and debt would be turned over if our warranties were null and void. Think about it, if you car is at the shop in need of a major repair and they wont foot the bill, most people will let these cars go back. Then we are right back where we started with the banks and credit lender again.
Just my 2 cents...
Steven Pope
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are being screwed, it's not by the government, it's by the management of GM. You didn't buy your car from the gov't, did you?
I don't absolve GM management from their fair share of responsibility but the root cause of our current economic problems must rightly be shared by Government, business and the American public. They do their best to spin things but IMO 'Government' is far more the culprit than GM Management.

Automobile sales have tanked world wide. Seeking protection under bankruptcy law and reorganizing is the last thing GM management wants.

Sadly, we and our children's children are being screwed by the Government (I've read the proposed budget).
Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

X2 + the board.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The new CEO is speaking right now and stated that GM will provide messaging for addressing Warranty Issues. He wants everybody to know that GM will honor warranties and doesn't want potential new car buyers to feel GM won't grant the warranties.

The skying is not falling!
Obama didn't run GM into the ground... GM did this and now they're fighting to restructure. They've got 60 days to announce all the re-org plans going forward.

Last edited by darkmercury; 03-31-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
If this is the case it's just more of the same run around we hear from Goverment these days. They must think we a lot stupider than we really are.
Uh, "stupider" isn't a word dude. Guess that proves something, eh?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
I'm beginning to think Corvette owners have an inherent need to whine about something...Anything.....
Pretty Much... at least some of them on the forum.
Misery loves company!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
The government backing indeed only applies to those vehicles sold during the restructing period - - but even if GM uses a bankruptcy to shed debt and restructure contracts, there's no evidence at this point that they wouldn't honor existing vehicle warranties.

It is illogical to assume GM would automatically alienate potential fuure buyers by rejecting warranty claims - - - I think you'll see those programs remain in tact. I don't know however whether they hold their own paper for extended warranties or whether they sell it off to a third party - - the latter may be an issue.

Certainly, I may be incorrect, but I don't think we're there yet as afar as definitive action on existing warranties.

Just my .02 - - -
I totally agree here. It's not like they (GM) will disolve and be gone forever. After restructure (heck, there really won't be an "after", it will be a near transparent line) we will all continue to be serviced. I understand the fear and angst but a lot of this is unfounded. Granted, we are all in uncharted territory, Gm will need to go over the top to encourage new customers and retain old ones. I'm not even confident it will ever come to this but that's the optimist in me.

On a side note: I was amazed last night when I heard that if GM does file, it will be the largest company in history to do so. I had no idea.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Management? Because UAW was not twisting GM's arm every time it could? Give me a break. Issue is management and union.

Get notified of new replies

To screwed on warranty by government

Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Sadly, we and our children's children are being screwed by the Government (I've read the proposed budget).
How long have you not been aware of the humongous national debt we have that our children & grandchildren are going to pay for? It took awhile, but our federal government has been amassing that huge number for the last 30-40 years.

The proposed budget just adds more to it. What's different?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CYBR6
Do you really think the goovernment is going to let this happen.....scare tactics, my friend, scare tactics.....If you have even been in the car business you will know what I am talking about. Do you have any idea how much massive chaos and debt would be turned over if our warranties were null and void. Think about it, if you car is at the shop in need of a major repair and they wont foot the bill, most people will let these cars go back. Then we are right back where we started with the banks and credit lender again.
Just my 2 cents...
Steven Pope
Well the "goovernment" may not let it happen, but the Government can certainly screw us. And Steven, no matter who's doing the screwing, whether GM or the Government . . . we'll be the screwee'. Hope it doesn't happen this way.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by poulosd
I think you're jumping to conclusions. What document states that GM can disolve all previous warranties prior to 3-30, 09?

Quick Reply: screwed on warranty by government