C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spots

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM
french77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind Spots

The only thing I don't like about driving the C6 (other than having each trip end) is the blind spots caused by the B-pillars. Twice now I have had to change lanes quickly only to nearly side-swipe somebody to my left. Both times I was able to avoid any collision but I have learned my normal 1) check in the mirror and 2) quick glance over the shoulder isn't good enough in this car. I really have to stretch, twist, and look to confirm before changing lanes. Besides having a collision with someone, the other thing I really want to avoid is the perception of a "vette" owner being wreckless. This I am not. Always careful and cautious with my car. Anyone else find this to be a problem?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

i haven't had that problem. I use the mirror mostly with a quick glance. However, I've only had my vette for 9 months and haven't driven all winter.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 PM
SnowFlake
4th Gear

I put those little tiny round mirrors on all my vehicles, the ones you stick in the corner of the side mirrors. They are like an inch in diameter. You can see at a glance if there is someone beside you. No stretching...its all good
Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem here.

Glance at the mirror, turn and look then the mirror again.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Mirrow Position

Someone else reported an accident due to this problem. I have noticed it as well. Try adjusting your mirrows outward, so you just loose sight of the rear side of your Vette in the mirrow. I played around with mine on the freeway untill I could pick up a passing car in my periferial vision just as it was leaving the mirrow. It seems to work better.

I know I can't spell periferial. Why doesn't the forum have spell check without going to another site?
LJ
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 PM
beachfrontvette
Safety Car

Know what you mean about that "spot." You can minimize or elimininate blind side, by adjusting the outside left mirror outward. Try to adjust while in your normal seat position, to where the inside image of the left mirror is at the point just where you cannot any longer see the side of your own car. At that position, you can see anything next to you or behind you in the lane to your left. Try it...... but out of caution, always give a glace to the left....
Old 03-18-2009, 10:56 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

I don't want to be critical/negative, but how confident are you that you have your mirrors adusted correctly? My father has a strange way of adusting his, but has never changed. I think his method is ineffective--it's just wrong, to my view. But that's it, yes? My view/my set up might work for just me. Our manuals from BMW cover mirrror set-up, but my Ford manual doesn't. It's been too long since driver's training; I wonder what they teach nowadays.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beachfrontvette
Know what you mean about that "spot." You can minimize or elimininate blind side, by adjusting the outside left mirror outward. Try to adjust while in your normal seat position, to where the inside image of the left mirror is at the point just where you cannot any longer see the side of your own car. At that position, you can see anything next to you or behind you in the lane to your left. Try it...... but out of caution, always give a glace to the left....
I recommend something very similar to friends. In fact, I told one friend this and one week later he approached me and said that he was glad that he did what I said, it saved him from an accident.

Here's what I tell people. Same as above, but when the edge of your car goes out of view, stay on the adjust button for another 1/2 second. This will put the mirror in a position where you can see the next lane over and still see cars close to your side. Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
Someone else reported an accident due to this problem. I have noticed it as well. Try adjusting your mirrows outward, so you just loose sight of the rear side of your Vette in the mirrow. I played around with mine on the freeway untill I could pick up a passing car in my periferial vision just as it was leaving the mirrow. It seems to work better.

I know I can't spell periferial. Why doesn't the forum have spell check without going to another site?LJ
Look on the upper top right corner above the Smilies box. You will see the "ABC" icon.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
I recommend something very similar to friends. In fact, I told one friend this and one week later he approached me and said that he was glad that he did what I said, it saved him from an accident.

Here's what I tell people. Same as above, but when the edge of your car goes out of view, stay on the adjust button for another 1/2 second. This will put the mirror in a position where you can see the next lane over and still see cars close to your side. Hope this helps.
That's about right. Adjust the mirror where you have to lean slightly to the left to see the corner of the car. Same with the right side mirror......adjust outward where you have to lean slightly to the right to see the corner of the car with your mirror. This will keep the cars on the side in the mirror until you can see them with your peripheral vision and no blind spots.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, "been there, done that!" And was really shook up! Mini mirrors seem like the way to go, but I haven't found any in our little town yet.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
I know I can't spell periferial. Why doesn't the forum have spell check without going to another site?
LJ
If you install the free Google tool bar it has a spell checker that will check anything on your screen.....even if it's peripheral.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Blackbird13
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Check this out:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 PM
beachfrontvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C-INRED
a spell checker that will check anything on your screen.....even if it's peripheral.
Do not want to go off thread, but you reminded me of an employee I once had, who was beyond spell check. Spell check was used, but the wrong word was chosen.... for example, statue was used instead of statute, presents for presence, and this one "a cyst" for "assist"...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

i know what you are saying. i have my seats back all the way and down to so its there. i tilt the mirrors out more then most.
i hate "billy blindspot" i think part of the procedures of getting your liscense should be a common sense Q&A. paul
Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

No problem here! I find the Corvette better than sedans or SUVs that I have driven over the years.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
That's about right. Adjust the mirror where you have to lean slightly to the left to see the corner of the car. Same with the right side mirror......adjust outward where you have to lean slightly to the right to see the corner of the car with your mirror. This will keep the cars on the side in the mirror until you can see them with your peripheral vision and no blind spots.
That's what I use - no blind spots.

Originally Posted by Blackbird13
Yep, same as above. It's more detailed, but it's the same procedure.

Do not want to go off thread, but you reminded me of an employee I once had, who was beyond spell check. Spell check was used, but the wrong word was chosen.... for example, statue was used instead of statute, presents for presence, and this one "a cyst" for "assist"...
But it is off-thread. Let it go. Many here don't use spell check. Get used to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Blind Spots

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 AM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i too have been using the little 2" spot mirrors on both outside mirrors.. totally eliminates the blind spot.... i've been using them on all my cars for over 30 years....
Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Default Drivers Ed 101

For some reason most people think that the side mirrors are rear view mirrors. The one inside cabin is for that, hense rear view mirror. In a perfect world the side mirrors would pick up to either side where the rear view mirrors edges stop.

I try to adjust mine just outside of the rear quarter panels. With this adjustment and a slight turn of my head to check for anybody next to me works for me. It also help to be aware of your invironment.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 AM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

I've never had this problem. But, on my driver's side mirror of my C6 I ended up setting the driver's side mirror to where's there's a little less fender visible than I'm used to.

Quick Reply: Blind Spots