C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curse of the double yellow

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by glacierbay2
Went out for a little cruise--76 degrees, sunshine, newly washed car; all the fixin's for a great time. Spoiled by a Miata. Actually, spoiled by the driver of the Miata. I had to endure 15 miles of uninterrupted double yellow, all the while being tempted by fantastic stretches of bends, curves, changing cambers, grades...But I kept legal and kept a respectful distance--no tailgating. I would have thought the veins starting to pop out of my neck would have been enough to encourage her to pull over, but no. I kept thinking what a waste of a driving opportunity, and what a waste of a car. She just kept chain smoking and driving 20 under the posted speed. I finally just gave up and turned around. Needless to say the return trip was much more fun than the first.

I suggest we organize a petition to allow special passing zones for Corvette drivers. It' not like we need alot of space, right?

I thought we HAD special passing zones....
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrant3830
Its one of the many derivatives of Murphy's Law...when you want to go fast, someone will be blocking the way.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain

We do, just some owners chose not to use the privilege. Just drop in to 3rd and away you go!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
TxHobbes
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Would it really be considered illegal passing since a Miata really shouldn't be considered a car?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Isn't it legal to shoot at Miatas in most states?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Ooops.. I thought that's waht the "double yellow" was, the demarkated Corvette Passing Zone.

I would suggest hanging back about 1/2 mile and then buildup some flyby speed - you get that sucker up to 165mph and whip past a Miata.... you can suck that cigarette right outa their hand and it'll shoot out the window like a watermelon pip at a spitting contest
Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by RC45
Ooops.. I thought that's waht the "double yellow" was, the demarkated Corvette Passing Zone.

I would suggest hanging back about 1/2 mile and then buildup some flyby speed - you get that sucker up to 165mph and whip past a Miata.... you can suck that cigarette right outa their hand and it'll shoot out the window like a watermelon pip at a spitting contest
Half a mile to build up to 165mph???....You need a C6Z
Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
Half a mile to build up to 165mph???....You need a C6Z
There was no mention of whether it was a straight shot, or had some bends along the way... so I gave myself a 1/2 mile just to be sure in case I would have to throttle back for a 120mph sweeper or 2 -- and why would I want to give up 100bhp and go with C6Z... unless I could bring my motor with me
Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bksnoopy
I would have pulled over at a safe location.

Set back and enjoy a couple of songs. Got out and wiped down my great ride.

By that time she would be long gone.
Excellent idea in theory, but it doesn't work. Just too many slow pokes out there. Regardless of how long you wait for one to "disappear", you will soon catch up to another one. It's truly a problem that cannot be solved... and extremely frustrating.

Once I was running along Highway 1 in CA... just finished passing a super long line of cars, little by little, took a while, was a lot of work! Finally had an open road ahead, yeeehaaaaa!

But not too long after I came upon an amazing photo opportunity, I just had to stop... and a few minutes later the whole long line of slow pokes passed on by, clogging my path once again.

You can't win. There is no greater problem for the motoring enthusiast than road congestion / slow pokes.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

There are two types of A holes in this world. Those that drive slower than we do and those that drive faster than we do.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Had an experience like this on coast highway 1 on a perfect cruise day. There was probably 20 cars behind me because the tools driving in front of me did not use any turnouts that were along the road every few miles, and were driving waaaay under the speed limit.

I finally had enough, and passed on a double yellow when I saw a gap on the twisty road long enough for my Corvette to get around. The idiot girl driving the car had the nerve to honk, gesture, & flash her lights at me as I ripped by them.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:51 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the dreaded double-yellow line. i was behind someone dragging their butt the other day and thought i'd pass anyway. made sure the way was clear of on-coming traffic and then went around. just as i was getting back in my lane their he was. yup, you guessed it. $392 later...:o
Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I'm a early bird and will hit the "back roads" around 0600-0800 on a Sat/Sun morning..Give it a try
Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by troller399
I'm a early bird and will hit the "back roads" around 0600-0800 on a Sat/Sun morning..Give it a try
Thats how we did with the motorcycles... get out there before the rest of the freaks and nutjobs do
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
the dreaded double-yellow line. i was behind someone dragging their butt the other day and thought i'd pass anyway. made sure the way was clear of on-coming traffic and then went around. just as i was getting back in my lane their he was. yup, you guessed it. $392 later...:o
That sux!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RC45
Thats how we did with the motorcycles... get out there before the rest of the freaks and nutjobs do

Even in the past few months I've managed to wrestle my tired butt out of bed on Sunday mornings before 6:00am in order to give the C6 a little exercise. The roads are indeed generally more empty at that time. But then not long after, you start hitting the church crowd, little old ladies that venture out ONLY on Sunday mornings... will pull out right in front of you without looking, and if you're lucky will blaze along at a thrilling 27 mph, etc.

Early morning also brings with it a greater risk of slick / wet curves (morning dew), and deer. The sun just popping up over the horizon and directly into your eyes doesn't help either. So I find that, even though the roads are more empty in the early morning, I'll be laying back a bit anyway.

There was a hilarious TV commercial from a while back, there are two old people driving along in an old mid-`60s Cadillac in the middle of the dessert, the car is going so slow that you can hear the tires creaking, car is moving maybe a half-inch per second, then the old lady passenger beats the old man driver with her handbag and yells, "slow down, you're driving like a bat out of hell!!!!!!!".... it's funnier when you see it, worth a good chuckle... I just scoped YouTube and cannot find it... anyone know what this commercial was for? Maybe we can find it. Might have been a car insurance commercial, can't remember.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Pylons26
Racer

I think the commercial was for a hotel. It also had the guy catch up

and then unable to pass the old couple on a 10 mile straight away with

the double yellow.

"You're driving like a bat out of hades".

Another commercial about that time and I think for the same hotel

had the guys in a work truck planting stop signs about every fifty feet.

They were both pretty funny.

Get notified of new replies

To Curse of the double yellow

Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
RC45
Race Director

http://commercial-archive.com/commer...lassic-030-usa

There ya go.. LOL

http://commercial-archive.com/n1rv4n...assingzone.mov

Last edited by RC45; 03-09-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM
RoninLS3
Instructor

Miatas have always been classified as a prey item. The C6 is an apex predator and it can easily dispact most vehicles, but I congratulate you on your restraint...safety first.

Slow road hogs usually = jealous drivers that love to hate
Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

That's it!

Very appropriate for this thread!

My memory of it was a little off, but I was close... last time I saw it was probably 3+ years ago on TV. It really hit home every time I saw it. I remember my wife would call me, "your favorite commercial is on!", because she knows how much I hate getting held back on the road.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Curse of the double yellow