C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not activating the onstar on new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by spin-doktor
Its not about being paranoid, its about BASIC PRIVACY. I do not want On-Star,,, i do not need on-star,,, I will defuse and disconnect it. Even tho On-star was designed to be a helpful and potentially life saving feature Technology like it is very suseptible to abuse. I do not need a mic in my car hooked up to a fancy cell module hooked up to an antenna with the capability of transmitting to a satellite.
All of you paranoid types worried about On-Star listening to your conversations are out of touch. When you or On-Star are communicating with your vehicle you will know it. They can't connect to you in stealth mode.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like I'am the only one here who likes OnStar.
I like the idea of them watching over me if I'am involved in an accident.
Could save my life one day.
It's like having a guardian angel sitting on my shoulder while driving.
Also I use the hands free phone all the time.
Never any drop outs.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the service as well, I have kept the basic service on my parents car for peace of mind. They are in their upper 70's and I like knowing that if they have an accident that deploys the airbags that someone will be there to look out for them if they can't call because the little cell phone is who knows where in the car. I always just start the service, do not give my CC# and just cancel when they send the bill 30 days prior to the free year being over. I don't have concerns of big brother with the service, if I were married with kids I would have onstar if it was an option on the family car. I just do not use the car enough to justify the expense, as minor as it is.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 02-z28
If/when I buy a 'vette, I will rip out the Onstar module from the car.
No you won't. Un plug it and the car won't start !
Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by bksnoopy
I would like to give credit to the member who posted this but I can't remember where I got this write up. :o

I have not done this so I don't know if it works.

to disable....

a) Remove the one and only fuse for OnStar

b) At the back of your car, open the right rear storage compartment, the OnStar module is in there, you might have to pry up the carpet to get at the VCIM (OnStar Module).

c) UNPLUG connectors J1, J2 & J3 ...and UNPLUG the 2 antenna connections. One antenna is for OnStar's GPS signal. (If you have a 3LT car w/NAV, don't worry, the NAV has it's own GPS antenna!) The second antenna is OnStar's Cellular Phone Antenna.

d) The 4th connector, J4, is part of your car's Computer Network Data Bus. LEAVE that connector alone! If you unplug J4, your engine will not start. If you REALLY want the OnStar box out of your car THAT bad, you NEED to install a termination resistance! The easiest solution is to just leave the OnStar module in the car with J4 connected! The OnStar module will be TOTALLY DEAD!!

Ben, OH
That's only for '08 and prior. '09 is different and is locate under the pass side under carpet under the dash area
Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like my $700 back for having no choice with OnStar. It aint free.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 AM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
All of you paranoid types worried about On-Star listening to your conversations are out of touch. When you or On-Star are communicating with your vehicle you will know it. They can't connect to you in stealth mode.

Cant possibly listen if the antenna is disconnected and the fuse is pulled.

On-Star ? thanks but no thanks.

Last edited by spin-doktor; 03-09-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
That's what you say!

Let’s look at it this way. If they can unlock your door or access you car’s computer … what would keep some BOZO at OnStar from doing something to your car to force you to take it in for repair. … This could be a good money maker for GM.

Last edited by bksnoopy; 03-09-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:46 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

I would like to give credit to the member who posted this but I can't remember where I got this write up. :o

I have not done this so I don't know if it works.

to disable....

a) Remove the one and only fuse for OnStar

b) At the back of your car, open the right rear storage compartment, the OnStar module is in there, you might have to pry up the carpet to get at the VCIM (OnStar Module).

c) UNPLUG connectors J1, J2 & J3 ...and UNPLUG the 2 antenna connections. One antenna is for OnStar's GPS signal. (If you have a 3LT car w/NAV, don't worry, the NAV has it's own GPS antenna!) The second antenna is OnStar's Cellular Phone Antenna.

d) The 4th connector, J4, is part of your car's Computer Network Data Bus. LEAVE that connector alone! If you unplug J4, your engine will not start. If you REALLY want the OnStar box out of your car THAT bad, you NEED to install a termination resistance! The easiest solution is to just leave the OnStar module in the car with J4 connected! The OnStar module will be TOTALLY DEAD!!

Ben, OH

Originally Posted by talon90
While this is good information, it only applies to 2005-2008, the 2009 Corvettes are completely different. Just worth noting.
Thanks!

Maybe someone could post the removal sequence for our 09’ buddies ?

Ben, OH
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Thanks!

Maybe someone could post the removal sequence for our 09’ buddies ?

Ben, OH
I've been told that all you need to do is pull the Onstar fuse. No power, no Onstar. The VCIM is different in '09 and located in a different location under the passenger footwell. The Onstar fuse is also in the passenger footwell fuse block.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:09 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by talon90
I've been told that all you need to do is pull the Onstar fuse. No power, no Onstar. The VCIM is different in '09 and located in a different location under the passenger footwell. The Onstar fuse is also in the passenger footwell fuse block.
Thanks, you’re the go to man for the answers
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd disregard the salesman comment about activating OnStar. I had mine delivered to my house and later that day, those 5 connectors were unplugged and the fuse removed. I never push the OnStar button.

Now if only the auto-headlight and DRL could also be defeated .... *sigh*
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 AM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
I would like my $700 back for having no choice with OnStar. It aint free.
BINGO!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 560 Likes on 320 Posts

I just look at it as an additional piece of cheap insurance. I got a discounted rate at renewal time so I renewed. The handsfree phone feature is also really convenient so I keep a minimum 100 minutes on it once a year.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

There are about 6.9 billion people on the planet and some folks are worried that OnStar is tracking them!!!! Oh, my!

Peace, out.

PS:

Re: that number? Just looked it up.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spin-doktor
...with the capability of transmitting to a satellite.
The car equipment communicates with OnStar "Headquarters" over the cell phone system, not by transmitting to a satellite. I think the only satellite participation in the OnStar process is the reception by the car module of GPS signals in order to determine the car's location, which then, along with all the rest of the data, is sent out over the phone. Maybe one of us with direct knowledge of this can verify it.

It probably should have been called "OnCell".
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
GHWelles
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by da vette guy
i don't want to activate my onstar subscription, my salesman is begging me please do it,says it will cause him alot of grief but i really don't want them knowing where i'm at or what my speed is or what my engine sensors and modules are doing. anyone else feel this way or done this?
Well I chose the option not to have it installed which solved that problem. But mine is a 2007.

Get notified of new replies

To not activating the onstar on new car

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Wezel
The car equipment communicates with OnStar "Headquarters" over the cell phone system, not by transmitting to a satellite. I think the only satellite participation in the OnStar process is the reception by the car module of GPS signals in order to determine the car's location, which then, along with all the rest of the data, is sent out over the phone. Maybe one of us with direct knowledge of this can verify it.

It probably should have been called "OnCell".
You are 100 % correct. OnStar is talking to a cell phone built into the car. When you connect to them or them to you it is a cell phone connection.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,060 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

A lot of you guys need to raid the pantry for aluminum foil and make some cute hats. Too much paranoia.

Say no and be done with it. Personally? I think it's a great insurance policy to have on the car, "just in case". I carry a gun but do I WANT to use it? Hell no, but it's there IF I NEED it. Same can be said of On-Star I have On-Star and when my wife uses the car I feel better for that.

Much todo over nothing....

Elmer
Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

After the free year expires what does it cost?

Quick Reply: not activating the onstar on new car