C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not activating the onstar on new car

Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 AM
da vette guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bksnoopy
Paranoid?

If you think someone is out to get you, they most likely are!
you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you just like to stay off the radar screen,so to say...... also if i do mods and it sets a check engine light rather they didn't know.....
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
da vette guy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom/99
Onstar should be an extra cost option for the people that want it.
i agree,maybe it could help GM and it's customers save a little money.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
da vette guy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wezel
Lots of good info available if you do a search on "TIN FOIL HAT".
is virgin tin foil better than recycled......
Old 03-08-2009, 10:35 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure what some of you signed, but I didn't sign anything stating I'd keep Onstar after the year was up. All four of our cars have Onstar, and everyone one of them were activated on the drive home. They went thru the BS as usual on activation, and when they tried to SELL me anything, like minutes for the phone, I said not right now. When they asked for a credit card "just in case", I simply told them no, that I would not give them my credit card number. My Silverado Onstar expired in December, haven't heard a word from them.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

I think everyone is rebelling because the "salesman" asked him to do it.

Bottom line is use your free year of on-star. The module which records data is separate from on-star. So all this big brother talk is nonsense.

I mean really.. why are you choosing to turn off a great feature that is free?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of these tin foilers crack me up. The whole point of the activation process, in the end, is for them to get your credit card number...simply, and firmly, tell the sales person NO, THEY will end the Onstar call promptly, trust me
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM
terpfan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
I think everyone is rebelling because the "salesman" asked him to do it.

Bottom line is use your free year of on-star. The module which records data is separate from on-star. So all this big brother talk is nonsense.

I mean really.. why are you choosing to turn off a great feature that is free?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 AM
02-z28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by talon90
You might just want to disable the Onstar. Ripping out the "Onstar module" would prevent your car from starting it will also prevent your radio, seats and drivers information center from operating but Hey, at least no one would know where you are!
Perfect, stealth mode in the driveway.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought my 07 Z06 because it did not come with onstar rather than waiting for the 08.

My wife bought a SUV a few months later and did not want onstar activated even for the free first year. No problem! She did not have to sign anything about onstar, just tells the sales guy to not turn it on!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It's your choice whether or not to benefit from the features OnStar provides but I think your fears are unwarranted. To equate OnStar to 'Big Brother' is paranoia IMO. Not only would it be corporate suicide but I've never seen any documented evidence to support OnStar/Big Brother theory. I understand, however, even irrational fears are real and I respect your decision. If not using OnStar makes you feel safer, you made the right choice.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

OK, I'm still confused. My free yr. of onstar runs out 3-21-09. I never gave them my credit card # when they tried to sell me extra minutes. So they can't charge my card....but will they send me a bill in the mail ?

I shouldn't have to call and cancell a free subscription, but I am also wondering why they have not sent me an E-Mail about service ending!!

Maybe they don't want me to know it's ending...so they can start charging me and hope I don't notice.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
It's your choice whether or not to benefit from the features OnStar provides but I think your fears are unwarranted. To equate OnStar to 'Big Brother' is paranoia IMO. Not only would it be corporate suicide but I've never seen any documented evidence to support OnStar/Big Brother theory. I understand, however, even irrational fears are real and I respect your decision. If not using OnStar makes you feel safer, you made the right choice.

Just a little bit off topic, but possible!

There is a good chance that other factors are going to curtail the activation or continued use of onstar and possibly XM/Sirius radio in the future.

The economy, many people having trouble will do away with using those items. After all they were not around till a few years ago and trillions of miles were driven without those crutches!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JERGENSENLS3
OK, I'm still confused. My free yr. of onstar runs out 3-21-09. I never gave them my credit card # when they tried to sell me extra minutes. So they can't charge my card....but will they send me a bill in the mail ?

I shouldn't have to call and cancell a free subscription, but I am also wondering why they have not sent me an E-Mail about service ending!!

Maybe they don't want me to know it's ending...so they can start charging me and hope I don't notice.
They don't charge you automatically. I've purchased 3 cars with onstar and I've never had to sign anything stating that they will charge me.

You will get a renew letter in the mail asking you to renew.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1) The saleperson does an OnStar online enrollment. Yes, they get grief from GM for not doing it. It's a big deal to GM. If they don't do it online, it gets activated when the delivery gets reported under your name anyway and the salesperson has no control over that.

2) No credit card is ever needed during the one year trial period. When it's over, it's over. If they ask you to renew, just say no. The same you would do when a solicitor calls your home.

3) Once it's activated, just press the OnStar button and ask to be turned off. They will record the conversation so you can't sue them later saying the OnStar didn't work when you went off into a ditch and no one knew you were there.

4) Your cell phone tracks where you are as well. Better turn that off too.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Ames
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone gets so worked up about OnStar tracking them and then they go everywhere with a cell phone that is just as capable of tracking them.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 02-z28
If/when I buy a 'vette, I will rip out the Onstar module from the car.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by E Stumpff
When you purchase the car you will have to sign one of two documents concerning "On-Star".

Doc#1: If you opt to accept the one year free trial, you will have to sign a document that acknowledges this fact and more importantly commits you to continue the On-Star subscription unless you notify On-Star that you are cancelling. Of course when you call the fun begins - long holds, etc. and meanwhile the charges keep on coming.

or, Doc#2: If you do not want the free one year trial and all the problems with cancelling later, you will be asked to sign a statement releasing the dealer and GM of liability should you crash the car an On-Star in not connected. An obvious scare tactic as a last resort to get you to allow On-Star into your life. But signing this document means that the dealer will never turn on On-Star in the first place.

At least that's the routine in PA at the moment.

ED
I never saw a document like this here in IL. OnStar also does not have my credit card number and they will never get it unless they reduce the rates to around $4.99 a month. In that case I could maybe justify OnStar.

Get notified of new replies

To not activating the onstar on new car

Old 03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

The free trial is fun. And there's the discounted phone minutes you can buy. I've used it a lot during trips but no, I don't want to renew either.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Its not about being paranoid, its about BASIC PRIVACY. I do not want On-Star,,, i do not need on-star,,, I will defuse and disconnect it. Even tho On-star was designed to be a helpful and potentially life saving feature Technology like it is very suseptible to abuse. I do not need a mic in my car hooked up to a fancy cell module hooked up to an antenna with the capability of transmitting to a satellite.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
tmjvett2009
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Big brother is not watching you unless you are some big wig somewhere and then they will no anyway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: not activating the onstar on new car