C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender mounting ?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Battery tender mounting ?

I will be bringing our new car home next week. I already have a battery tender for it. Question is, where and how do you mount it? Where do you run the wires to connect to the incoming power cord?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I just hook it up to the battery and drop the cord out the bottom of the engine bay and leave it sitting on the floor.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Many options based on the the type and model of tender you purchase. I have my tender mounted onboard under the hood. The type that I purchased (Schumacher) mounts and stays with the car. I also have a CTEK US 800 for my other car but really prefer the Schumacher. I like that the battery tender is always with the car just in case I need it. Because a battery is expensive and big hassle when it fails I wouldn't skimp when buying a battery tender....

Last edited by cthusker; 03-07-2009 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (01-20-2022)
Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I just plug it in,lay the fender guard thing down and hook up the tender to the terminals.Hood stays partially opened,no big deal.Easy on and off.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:51 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
I just plug it in,lay the fender guard thing down and hook up the tender to the terminals.Hood stays partially opened,no big deal.Easy on and off.
That's what I do. Just make sure the clamps are secured to the terminals. I had one slip off once. The battery tender lights alerted me, so I caught it, no problem.

Great idea to use a battery tender. It's REALLY nice to have a strong battery after winter storage.

Oh, and remember to loosely stuff some rags in the tailpipes to keep bugs & varmints from nesting.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yell01
I just hook it up to the battery and drop the cord out the bottom of the engine bay and leave it sitting on the floor.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
That's what I do. Just make sure the clamps are secured to the terminals. I had one slip off once. The battery tender lights alerted me, so I caught it, no problem.

Great idea to use a battery tender. It's REALLY nice to have a strong battery after winter storage.

Oh, and remember to loosely stuff some rags in the tailpipes to keep bugs & varmints from nesting.
Don't you just start it up and cook em?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Default Buy the cigarette lighter adapter

I have the CTEK unit and use the cig lighter adapter. You simply plug the adapter into the console power plug and leave the window cracked slightly to allow the cord through the window. You never have to pop the hood or crawl under the car to make the connection. I use a cover on the car so leaving the window cracked slightly doesn't bother me. This makes hooking up and disconnecting the tender very easy!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
jlvink66
Pro

I was going to do the cigarette lighter connection but decided that I'd rather exit via the hood vs. the rear hatch or door/window. The connection that I show below has been described before on this forum but I thought it would be useful to add a photo.

The battery Tender Junior is supplied with a wire harness that has a two-prong plug on one end and bolt terminals on the other end. If you lift the lid to the fusebox on the right side of the engine bay you will see the positive terminal. Use a 13mm socket to remove the nut and install the red terminal from the harness. There is a good ground lug underneath the hood shock absorber. Remove the bolt with a 10mm socket and install the black terminal from the harness. Tie wrap the harness to the freon line so that it doesn't flop around. You're done! No splicing or extra parts needed!

When closing the hood I found that the cord got pinched the least by running it out by the windshield near the wipers.

John
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Same here.
cmonkey713 (01-20-2022)
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My Schumacher was modified and I plug it in the lighter, run the cord out a small gap in the window. Works great.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Same here.....
This is how my car sleeps away the bad winter weather.
It's connected directly to the terminals via the supplied lugs (which stay connected all the time) and then the extension plugs in and runs out the bottom of the engine compartment.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shawn S
You folded your mirrors!

Of course I've seen it done on lots of vehicles, especially pickups. Just never made the connection to do it with my Vette. My garage feels half-a-foot wider now. Nice!

Any problems leaving it that way for months?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ratchet Thunderbolt
Don't you just start it up and cook em?
Not without BBQ sauce.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
hdwideglide
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some info for you that helped me. See post #23. This is exactly how I did mine and it is great.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...k-connect.html
Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
PO10TIAL
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Get notified of new replies

To Battery tender mounting ?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
You folded your mirrors!

Of course I've seen it done on lots of vehicles, especially pickups. Just never made the connection to do it with my Vette. My garage feels half-a-foot wider now. Nice!

Any problems leaving it that way for months?
Looks exactly like my set-up.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cthusker, I like the idea of it staying with the car, thanks.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:55 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by jlvink66
I was going to do the cigarette lighter connection but decided that I'd rather exit via the hood vs. the rear hatch or door/window. The connection that I show below has been described before on this forum but I thought it would be useful to add a photo.

The battery Tender Junior is supplied with a wire harness that has a two-prong plug on one end and bolt terminals on the other end. If you lift the lid to the fusebox on the right side of the engine bay you will see the positive terminal. Use a 13mm socket to remove the nut and install the red terminal from the harness. There is a good ground lug underneath the hood shock absorber. Remove the bolt with a 10mm socket and install the black terminal from the harness. Tie wrap the harness to the freon line so that it doesn't flop around. You're done! No splicing or extra parts needed!

When closing the hood I found that the cord got pinched the least by running it out by the windshield near the wipers.

John
I hooked mine up the same as this, except I extended to wiring to the front grill and zip tied it to the grill so I can connect/disconnect it without having to open anything, works great
ittlfly (01-20-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery tender mounting ?