C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6/Chevy Security System Ain't Worth &*()--Cars Broken Into

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
CandyVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6/Chevy Security System Ain't Worth &*()--Cars Broken Into

We live across from parents whose daughter had a baby by some guy, and now all three are living with her parents across the street. The baby daddy parks his car in front of our driveway on the street. It's a beat-up old purple Neon. It's against our HOA covenants to park on the street, and the family knows this. We've asked this guy to move his car before and he did for a while but now it's back. Last night, baby mama was sitting on their porch smoking with her girlfriend. My husband told them again to have his car moved or it would be towed by the HOA. So, this morning when we walk out to go to work, and this is weird: A half-empty bottle of cheap bourbon carefully placed in our driveway facing us as we walk out. Then we discover that husband's Cobalt has been gotten into somehow, things rifled around, sunglasses out, glove box open, etc. Nothing broken or taken, however as far as we know. We were like OMG! Then I turned around and looked at the Vette--same story. Gotten into somehow, my expensive sunglasses are placed on my seat for me to find, glove box and console open but nothing taken. I heard lots of car doors slamming last night but that's normal in the neighborhood so I didn't get up to check.

So we think it's retaliation from the people across the street because we filed an official complaint with the HOA about their on-street parking but we have no proof. The thing we've learned is that these security systems on our cars aren't worth $&^%. They evidently got into both our cars without causing any damage whatsoever and not triggering the alarm. Though nothing was taken, we feel like we've been violated. We feel like calling the police would do nothing but I will be calling the HOA and letting them know. So they are trying to send us a message--but what? That they can get in our cars anytime?

Yes, we have a garage but haven't been using it because we have a destructive cat that we keep there. But I guess the cat is going to have to make room............
Old 03-06-2009, 09:50 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I would definately keep their number in speed dial so that if you ever lock your fob in the Vette you'll know how to get in.

Sorry about your ordeal.

Originally Posted by CandyVette
We live across from parents whose daughter had a baby by some guy, and now all three are living with her parents across the street. The baby daddy parks his car in front of our driveway on the street. It's a beat-up old purple Neon. It's against our HOA covenants to park on the street, and the family knows this. We've asked this guy to move his car before and he did for a while but now it's back. Last night, baby mama was sitting on their porch smoking with her girlfriend. My husband told them again to have his car moved or it would be towed by the HOA. So, this morning when we walk out to go to work, and this is weird: A half-empty bottle of cheap bourbon carefully placed in our driveway facing us as we walk out. Then we discover that husband's Cobalt has been gotten into somehow, things rifled around, sunglasses out, glove box open, etc. Nothing broken or taken, however as far as we know. We were like OMG! Then I turned around and looked at the Vette--same story. Gotten into somehow, my expensive sunglasses are placed on my seat for me to find, glove box and console open but nothing taken. I heard lots of car doors slamming last night but that's normal in the neighborhood so I didn't get up to check.

So we think it's retaliation from the people across the street because we filed an official complaint with the HOA about their on-street parking but we have no proof. The thing we've learned is that these security systems on our cars aren't worth $&^%. They evidently got into both our cars without causing any damage whatsoever and not triggering the alarm. Though nothing was taken, we feel like we've been violated. We feel like calling the police would do nothing but I will be calling the HOA and letting them know. So they are trying to send us a message--but what? That they can get in our cars anytime?

Yes, we have a garage but haven't been using it because we have a destructive cat that we keep there. But I guess the cat is going to have to make room............
Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Hard to understand how they got into both cars without triggering any alarm or causing any damage. I certainly would invest in a good car cover and put the Vette in the garage, the cover should protect it from your destructive cat. As for your ongoing situation with your neighbors not sure what you can do there, but good luck.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditch the cat and save the Vette! Sorry to seem mean. I'd sure hate to have my Vette used as a message board by pissed-off neighbors. Can the cat be caged at night? I have a cat and I'd hate to get rid of him for my Vette, but I wouldn't leave my Vette parked outside when I was concerned about my neighbors either being immature or mentally unstable and acting upon their anger by vandalising my Vette.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Replace the cat with a Doberman or Rottweller and buy a 9mm. That should do it. Sounds like your neighbors are trailer-park trash. I feel your pain. Definitely put the Corvette in the garage.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Are you sure the vette was locked? I turned off my autolocking when I took the 06 in for servicing at the dealer's service department. I then forgot to turn it back on for about a week. In my defense, I have autolocking set to just flash the lights, but I don't watch for them after 4 years.

If you move the vette into the garage, mothballs scattered around the car on the floor will keep the cat off of it.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Time to install video monitor system,keep it stealthy, in my experience if they know you have cameras they cover their faces. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 AM
CandyVette
Drifting

OMG (light bulb goes off). I just had my battery replaced. Wouldn't that probably delete all the settings, including autolock? In that case, I need to reset! Still doesn't explain how they got into the Cobalt.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JimTN
Are you sure the vette was locked? I turned off my autolocking when I took the 06 in for servicing at the dealer's service department. I then forgot to turn it back on for about a week. In my defense, I have autolocking set to just flash the lights, but I don't watch for them after 4 years.

If you move the vette into the garage, mothballs scattered around the car on the floor will keep the cat off of it.
I don't know about your cat, by my cat is 5 years old and can jump onto something that is about 6' high from a distance of about 5 feet away. Mothballs won't do it for my cat unless I scatter them all around the car at least 5 feet from the perimeter on every side. He's an ingenious little devil...
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by CandyVette
OMG (light bulb goes off). I just had my battery replaced. Wouldn't that probably delete all the settings, including autolock? In that case, I need to reset! Still doesn't explain how they got into the Cobalt.
No, I don't think so. Most times, other owners reported only the window indexing needed to be reset.

But I'd check it just to be sure.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks. I would definitely put the vette in the garage asap.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
CandyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, I don't think so. Most times, other owners reported only the window indexing needed to be reset.

But I'd check it just to be sure.
I didn't think about resetting anything other than the window indexing, because my name was still programmed in, as well as my seat adjustments. And I always, always keep my doors locked. We'll check it later today, I hope that this entire time my car hasn't been left unlocked unbeknownst to me!

We live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and these people seemed respectable enough until their daughter turned into a teenager. Then she started hanging out with less than savory looking kids, trespassing through our yard with boys to get to the woods behind our house, and then getting knocked up. We all know that's what quality is made of..........
Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
Ditch the cat and save the Vette! Sorry to seem mean. I'd sure hate to have my Vette used as a message board by pissed-off neighbors. Can the cat be caged at night? I have a cat and I'd hate to get rid of him for my Vette, but I wouldn't leave my Vette parked outside when I was concerned about my neighbors either being immature or mentally unstable and acting upon their anger by vandalising my Vette.

BJK
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
knick
Pro

I think I would keep MR GLOCK handy....if you catch them to hold them for the police.I feel certain they will be back.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
J18369
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09, '14

Originally Posted by knick
I think I would keep MR GLOCK handy....if you catch them to hold them for the police.I feel certain they will be back.
Mr. Glock wouldn't be too happy if that happened to me. I would assume he was trying to steal my car and possibly harm me with whatever tools he was using.

I would get no sleep waiting for him in the bushes to try it again... but I use the garage, so yeah. Odds are if they can get into your Corvette and your Cobalt, they can get in your garage too. You would probably hear that one though.

CandyVette, I commend you for keeping your cool in the whole situation. It must be pretty frustrating.

Last edited by J18369; 03-06-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Being able to get into the car with no damage really sounds to me like it was unlocked - I'd walk out there and check it just to be sure.

Is it possible to install one of those proximity sensors that turns on lights outdoors?

Get notified of new replies

To C6/Chevy Security System Ain't Worth &*()--Cars Broken Into

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
Being able to get into the car with no damage really sounds to me like it was unlocked - I'd walk out there and check it just to be sure.

Is it possible to install one of those proximity sensors that turns on lights outdoors?
Yeah, and we'll probably get one and install it tonight........
Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Rednblack
Pro

Originally Posted by knick
I like this idea best.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

I commend you for keeping your cool also. I know I would be livid. A cool head prevails.

Quick Reply: C6/Chevy Security System Ain't Worth &*()--Cars Broken Into