C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Wheel Locks... see before you buy for more protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Wheel Locks... see before you buy for more protection

Disclaimer: Im showing a very easy tool to defeat wheel locks w/o the key. If you have an opinion or think this should be deleted let me or the Mods know and if enough complain ill take it down. This really would of helped me when i was trying to figure out what to do. I figure common punk thieves dont read this forum THAT often.

So back story:

I bought my 06 LMB C6 two months ago upon coming back from 15 months in Disney World: Arabian Edition. I didnt realize till it arrived that it had what appeared to be McGuard Wheel locks, 1 on each wheel. (I think McGuard makes the GM accesory wheel locks, correct me if im wrong) SOOOOO...... I dont have the key. I wanted them off before they became a problem and also to install the GM Splash guards that just arrived. Called the dealer to see if they might have had it and forgotten, or if they have the previous owners name to see if i could get the key. I forgot that it was a dealer auction car so they did not and the trail went back quite aways and was not worth pursuing.

I then called a local chevy dealer to see if they had suggestions or could get a key. Cant get a key w/o the code. but they can get them off if i paid time/supplies for their mechanic to take them off. THEY QUOTED A LIKELY $250!!!!! (supplies in case they broke their socket.....BS!! use a craftsman, break it get a free one) So i came here and looked if i could find any information. One post had this tool: The Craftsman "Lug Out" that has a 12 fluted side SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR WHEEL LOCKS!! Long story short it works like a charm. Only hard part is getting the wheel locks out of the tool after it "bites" into it. 3 of them came right out.... 4th one i scraped the corners off the lock but it still came out... just took an extra 2 minutes. Anyway here is the tool:

$30 for 3 different sizes.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947392000P

This is what it did to the locks, bit right into them with only an 18" breaker bar, no impact wrench needed:

I would imagine it would do the exact same thing to the regular gorilla locks, maybe even better with the outer ridges, being the Mcguards are smooth all the way around and it did those with ease.

So IMO if you want to avoid being able to pull your locks right out with a widely available tool this is the product you need:

Gorilla Guard Locks, they have a rotating sleeve that completely defeats this tool:

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.guard.locks

installed:

They look a little funny on the wheel, but without the key i have absolutely NO idea how to get them off. That tool will NOT work. You would probably have to break the stud off which is definitely not that easy and not quiet at all. That being said... im ordering a spare key tomorrow.

If members do use this info for evil we will just wait and match up the inevitable posts to solve the crime. IE the post "Someone ripped off my new scorpions and left my vette on blocks" will match up perfectly with the next sure post of "check out my new scorpions that i got a great deal on!!! pics inside" ID your wheels, find the guy, punch him in the face and take your wheels back.

If you read this whole thing, hopefully it helps anyone else that is in this situation.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Hey it is a great tool Snap on has a similar product I would not worry about the crooks they have better equipment and if they are in a real hurry they will just tow the car
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, the Craftsman lug-out tool bit right into the locking lug nuts. Not very secure. Looks like the Gorilla lug nuts are the way to go. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

its a neat idea, one thing i have seen is when thiefs see this kind of thing before they start the ydont start at all. When they see it after they have strted they tend to break more stuff out of anger. It does look like a nice product but think a wheel lock remover would still take them loose. But it has got to make alot of thiefs look at a different target dont you think? kinda like an alarm sign in the front yard
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
mgtr
Pro

I have regular GM wheel locks on my car. I understand that they won't stop the pro (Gone in 60 seconds) -- he will just pull the car up on to a rollback truck. But they will stop the casual thief/kid/druggie just looking for wome wheels he can sell for the next fix.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 AM
softballgeek

I get the extra protection from gorilla having the spinning shaft. However, why couldn't a thief just go into a store and buy a key for the gorilla lug? If he is going to go in and buy one of those "lug-out" kits he could easily buy a gorilla key.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 AM
GreySteele06
Racer

Originally Posted by aarong50
I get the extra protection from gorilla having the spinning shaft. However, why couldn't a thief just go into a store and buy a key for the gorilla lug? If he is going to go in and buy one of those "lug-out" kits he could easily buy a gorilla key.
They have many different patterns for the lugs. Alot like "keys". When you buy a set it comes with a code. You have to order extra/replacement keys from the company directly. you can only order with the code in your package that tells them what pattern to make for you.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Hairbag
Racer

I've found the "right to carry" is the best defense against theift.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

I've been there when my tire shop got a car with locks and no key. Tech started to take the wheel off and then stopped. Went and got the owner to get the key. No key. They looked in the glove compartment, etc. Finally the tech asked if he could just remove them and replace with standard lugs. The owner said sure if you can. Tech went to his tool box, stuck one of these in his air wrench, four locks were off in less than 60 seconds, and he was back to work.

The Gorilla locks are a little harder but I believe they come off with a needle nose visegrip. You could also make a "universal" key with some hardened steel. Several pieces that slip into the slots wherever they are and then the outside is large enough to get a grip.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
95blklsc
Racer

Originally Posted by Hairbag
I've found the "right to carry" is the best defense against theift.
So you sit in your call all the time??
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

GreySteele06, did you have to drive the removal tool on with a hammer???
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Good info.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Bottom line is if a professional thief wants the wheels or car they will get it. Back in the 70's I had wheel locks on a set of Cragars and thieves got off.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
GreySteele06, did you have to drive the removal tool on with a hammer???
No, when you turn it, it bites into the lock.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy D
Hey it is a great tool Snap on has a similar product I would not worry about the crooks they have better equipment and if they are in a real hurry they will just tow the car

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Wheel Locks... see before you buy for more protection

Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed something different about McGard locks I bought two weeks ago for my brother's Jeep SRT-8.

They had a metal ring around the outside lip that looked different than the smooth chrome lock on my C6, and the extra metal fills up the gap between the wheel and the lug to keep from fitting a socket over the wheel lock.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Cool new product.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

What product number wheel lock for the C6?

Elmer

Quick Reply: Removing Wheel Locks... see before you buy for more protection