C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAER EradiSpeed vs Stock vs Z51 Rotor Weight

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
shane020
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAER EradiSpeed vs Stock vs Z51 Rotor Weight

I had the privelege of weighing in all three different types of rotors due to going from stock to Z51 to EradiSpeed two piece. These weights are not completely accurate seeing as I weighted them on a home scale but they should be pretty close. The Eradispeed's that I got were the plus for the front and plus-two for the rear based on stock setup. All weights are in pounds. Stock weigh in at 19.4 for front and 14.6 for rear giving a total weight of 68. Z51 weigh 22.6 for front and 20 for rear giving a total weight of 85.2. Now for the winner, BAER weighs in at 17.2 for front and 15.4 for rear giving a total weight of 65.2. Im summary BAER weighs 2.8 less than stock and 20 less than Z51.
I could not be more happier with the choice to go with BAER for overall looks and weight reduction. Going to a 14" rear looks really good and feels good, that was only part that I was worried about when getting this set.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bet it stops much much better.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
shane020
Advanced

It feels a little better, but I have not got a chance to test them out, I am still in the break in period. The pads may contribute to them feeling better also, I went with the BAER sport-touring from the AC Delco ceramics.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Good info Tx's
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
johnhayesjr
Racer

I went with the big stop tech kit. Car stops like a dream! I had to go to 19" front and 20" rear in rim size to fit. and the overall looks awesome.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM
RFP
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Good info, Shane... Thanks for taking the time to weigh and post your results!

The Baers will be going on my car later this year!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Default New thread

Originally Posted by johnhayesjr
I went with the big stop tech kit. Car stops like a dream! I had to go to 19" front and 20" rear in rim size to fit. and the overall looks awesome.

This looks like it should have been a 'new ("gee I love my StopTechs") thread'
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks for the information.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shane020
I had the privelege of weighing in all three different types of rotors due to going from stock to Z51 to EradiSpeed two piece. These weights are not completely accurate seeing as I weighted them on a home scale but they should be pretty close. The Eradispeed's that I got were the plus for the front and plus-two for the rear based on stock setup. All weights are in pounds. Stock weigh in at 19.4 for front and 14.6 for rear giving a total weight of 68. Z51 weigh 22.6 for front and 20 for rear giving a total weight of 85.2. Now for the winner, BAER weighs in at 17.2 for front and 15.4 for rear giving a total weight of 65.2. Im summary BAER weighs 2.8 less than stock and 20 less than Z51.
I could not be more happier with the choice to go with BAER for overall looks and weight reduction. Going to a 14" rear looks really good and feels good, that was only part that I was worried about when getting this set.
just can't beat them
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

very interesting info, thanks for taking the time to do the weighing of parts.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

less mass = less ability to carry heat, those baer's will heat very quickly
Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
You know this how?

Actually, the Baers are lighter because they are a two-piece design, using a lightweight hub.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:38 PM
exaf86
Racer

less mass = less ability to carry heat, those Baer's will heat very quickly
I'm no kinetics engineer but I'd imagine there's some sort of trade-off with the larger rear rotors but I'd also think rear brakes larger than stock would have minimal effect unless you also went with larger front rotors.

Shane - can you post pics of the BAER rear set-up? I'm also curious on how that affects the look.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Doesn't it also follow that:

Less 'mass' = less ability to hold heat, those BAERs will cool very quickly?

Aren't the big-boy-road-racers moving heaven and earth to achieve lighter brakes?

I dunno, just askin'. I know just about as much about this as John Blutarski knew about geography!

Rob
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Shineshop
Instructor

Price?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RFP

Doesn't it also follow that:

Less 'mass' = less ability to hold heat, those BAERs will cool very quickly?

Aren't the big-boy-road-racers moving heaven and earth to achieve lighter brakes?

I dunno, just askin'. I know just about as much about this as John Blutarski knew about geography!

Rob
This is pretty close. Brakes must first convert kinetic energy to heat, then radiate that heat. The two functions must work together to avoid warping and fade. Increased mass generally helps avoid warping, but contributes to unsprung weight (not good). Proper air flow and good aero- and thermo-dynamic design improve the ability to radiate heat, minimizing heat buildup that leads to warping, and allowing smaller, lighter rotors.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
This is pretty close. Brakes must first convert kinetic energy to heat, then radiate that heat. The two functions must work together to avoid warping and fade. Increased mass generally helps avoid warping, but contributes to unsprung weight (not good). Proper air flow and good aero- and thermo-dynamic design improve the ability to radiate heat, minimizing heat buildup that leads to warping, and allowing smaller, lighter rotors.

Thanks, Doc... Maybe I'm pretty much on the right track since I am adding spindle ducts and all the brake cooling hose bits along with the BAER rotors. So, I will get better cooling (well, at least I hope I will) and lower unsprung weight at the same time.

Ain't this fun?

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To BAER EradiSpeed vs Stock vs Z51 Rotor Weight

Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vetsvett
I bet it stops much much better.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Corvette08dreamin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gannet
You know this how?

Actually, the Baers are lighter because they are a two-piece design, using a lightweight hub.
And them 2-Piece rotors are pretty pricey. I agree they look good, but I opted for the one piece Baer rotors and kept the savings in my pocket. Final thought on the rotors are great stopping power/w the Hawk pads and Looks great too.

heres a pict:
Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by shane020

I got weights directly from Bear and my weight difference between the stock and Eradispeeds was right at one pound. Here are my posts from another thread. My opinion is quite different than the OP's.

I bought a set of Baer Eradispeed 2 piece zinc washed rotors, (+$1000.00) about a year and a half ago and they are already rusting all over the vented area. They also started vibrating after 2 months, and have stress cracks in most of the drilled holes, and they have never seen a track. Save your money if these were a thought..........I sure wish I would have.

Actually, they really aren't lighter. The fronts are a little lighter but the rears are 14" so they make up the extra weight. I think I saved a whopping pound(total) by switching them. The pad swept area is actually thicker than the OEM rotors, but one(or several) of mine are warped( have a constant vibration when hitting the brake and I haven't had time to figure out where it's coming from. They also have a lifetime warranty against warping, but I have read from several people that this coverage was DENIED because it looked like the rotors had been tracked. Like I said, mine have stress cracks everywhere and have NEVER been tracked.

The rotors also had to be pressed on to clear the rear parking brake pads, so they weren't machined right, or the coating used on the aluminum hats was too thick.

I must admit the look pretty good, especially the rears. Like I said, I wish I had never bought them. Others seem to love theirs, so YMMV.

Quick Reply: BAER EradiSpeed vs Stock vs Z51 Rotor Weight